Aaron Donald holdout expected to miss Week 1

RuskieTitan

I'm not a fan of Donald for this. Yes... the Rams have been god awful and you carry the team in some regards. HOWEVER, if you wanna get your big boy bucks, you gotta be a goddamn leader and anchor that defense. Holding out of actual games doesn't bode well for that. It seems overly selfish considering he's gonna get paid regardless. Now if this was a franchise tag, that would be acceptable to me, but he's still on his rookie deal. Cmon Donald, man up and play.

Apparently they agreed on the money, but Donald wants an opt-out that the Rams don't want to give him. Can't really blame them since he's still under contract for the next 2 years as it is. So we would basically be paying him a bunch more money over the next few seasons, and possibly lose him at the same time anyway.

If it was the Rams lowballing him, I'd understand, but that doesn't seem to be the case and not he's missing regular season games. 

20 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Apparently they agreed on the money, but Donald wants an opt-out that the Rams don't want to give him. Can't really blame them since he's still under contract for the next 2 years as it is. So we would basically be paying him a bunch more money over the next few seasons, and possibly lose him at the same time anyway.

If it was the Rams lowballing him, I'd understand, but that doesn't seem to be the case and not he's missing regular season games. 

The opt out has been debunked. Vinny said the difference is how the guaranteed money is spread out.

8 hours ago, Forge said:

If I were the Rams? I think so, yes. Tough to give up a superstar, and obviously there's a real good chance that neither of those picks pans out, so I understand it from either perspective why people would say no, but I'd be banking on that first year first rounder being a really good pick. 

Hell no. I'm not trading a player who looks to be well on his way to a HOF career as he's about to enter his prime for picks. People overvalue draft picks.

8 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

I look at it this way:

1. Donald holds out, the Rams suck even worse when he was there, but now there is a quantitative way to value him as a player (you can look at their defensive statistics without him). He also doesn't risk injury (this is a big key, I think). He then gets his mega deal.

2. Donald reports, gets injured, then a bunch of questions rise.

3. Donald reports, plays, gets his mega deal.

I think either way he's getting his mega deal, the only thing that could potentially hinder that is an injury, which only happens if he plays. IMO, he's making the smart move here. He loses nothing by not playing. The Rams, on the other hand, lose their franchise's best player.

Counter to #2, Donald gets insurance...

1 minute ago, TheVillain112 said:

Rams and Goff definitely won't win the superbowl this year if Donald sits...

They won't, but they can settle for the NFC Championship Game this year and win it next year when Donald returns. Although, Donald kind of has to return after 10 games.

57 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

He's not going to lose $100 million, unless it's a Lattimore type injury.  He'll still be paid, just paid less which is what the insurance is for...

The only way Donald doesn't get a mega-deal is if he suffers a career-ending or altering injury. And both of those would likely cost him $100 million.

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

The only way Donald doesn't get a mega-deal is if he suffers a career-ending or altering injury. And both of those would likely cost him $100 million.

If Freeman can get insurance to cover not getting an extension from the Falcons, I think Donald can probably get insurance on himself in case of injury.

Archived