Jump to content
RuskieTitan

Aaron Donald holdout expected to miss Week 1

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

But they're gonna suck whether he plays or not.

Well if he doesn't play l, it gives the illusion that they wouldn't suck if he was there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a fan of Donald for this. Yes... the Rams have been god awful and you carry the team in some regards. HOWEVER, if you wanna get your big boy bucks, you gotta be a goddamn leader and anchor that defense. Holding out of actual games doesn't bode well for that. It seems overly selfish considering he's gonna get paid regardless. Now if this was a franchise tag, that would be acceptable to me, but he's still on his rookie deal. Cmon Donald, man up and play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Understand holding out in the preseason, but regular season.....I don't like when players do this.

Edited by Gopackgonerd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently they agreed on the money, but Donald wants an opt-out that the Rams don't want to give him. Can't really blame them since he's still under contract for the next 2 years as it is. So we would basically be paying him a bunch more money over the next few seasons, and possibly lose him at the same time anyway.

If it was the Rams lowballing him, I'd understand, but that doesn't seem to be the case and not he's missing regular season games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Apparently they agreed on the money, but Donald wants an opt-out that the Rams don't want to give him. Can't really blame them since he's still under contract for the next 2 years as it is. So we would basically be paying him a bunch more money over the next few seasons, and possibly lose him at the same time anyway.

If it was the Rams lowballing him, I'd understand, but that doesn't seem to be the case and not he's missing regular season games. 

The opt out has been debunked. Vinny said the difference is how the guaranteed money is spread out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

But they're gonna suck whether he plays or not.

I doubt the Rams see it this way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Forge said:

If I were the Rams? I think so, yes. Tough to give up a superstar, and obviously there's a real good chance that neither of those picks pans out, so I understand it from either perspective why people would say no, but I'd be banking on that first year first rounder being a really good pick. 

Hell no. I'm not trading a player who looks to be well on his way to a HOF career as he's about to enter his prime for picks. People overvalue draft picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, showtime said:

He does have leverage.  He is the best player on the team and he could just not play - which severely will hurt the team.

Rams and Goff definitely won't win the superbowl this year if Donald sits...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

I look at it this way:

1. Donald holds out, the Rams suck even worse when he was there, but now there is a quantitative way to value him as a player (you can look at their defensive statistics without him). He also doesn't risk injury (this is a big key, I think). He then gets his mega deal.

2. Donald reports, gets injured, then a bunch of questions rise.

3. Donald reports, plays, gets his mega deal.

I think either way he's getting his mega deal, the only thing that could potentially hinder that is an injury, which only happens if he plays. IMO, he's making the smart move here. He loses nothing by not playing. The Rams, on the other hand, lose their franchise's best player.

Counter to #2, Donald gets insurance...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheVillain112 said:

Rams and Goff definitely won't win the superbowl this year if Donald sits...

They won't, but they can settle for the NFC Championship Game this year and win it next year when Donald returns. Although, Donald kind of has to return after 10 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheVillain112 said:

Counter to #2, Donald gets insurance...

Who pays for Donald's insurance? What insurer gives Donald a $100 million policy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jrry32 said:

Who pays for Donald's insurance? What insurer gives Donald a $100 million policy?

He's not going to lose $100 million, unless it's a Lattimore type injury.  He'll still be paid, just paid less which is what the insurance is for...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

He's not going to lose $100 million, unless it's a Lattimore type injury.  He'll still be paid, just paid less which is what the insurance is for...

The only way Donald doesn't get a mega-deal is if he suffers a career-ending or altering injury. And both of those would likely cost him $100 million.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

The only way Donald doesn't get a mega-deal is if he suffers a career-ending or altering injury. And both of those would likely cost him $100 million.

If Freeman can get insurance to cover not getting an extension from the Falcons, I think Donald can probably get insurance on himself in case of injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×