The Polls are open; Miami to 0-16 or not 0-16?

Kiwibrown

Worst start in NFL hisotry   

82 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have the phins going 0-16

2. 2. Will they be known as the worst team in nfl history?

3. 3. If they go 0-16 will the nfl put in a rules to prevent tanking?

• Yes; draft lottery for bottom 5
    • Yes; other specify
    • No

Miami has no heart. I can't see them winning a game at this point. Cincinnati's players have pride and will have extra high motivation to NOT be the ONLY team that loses to this dumpster fire. Same with the Jets. 

They are going to be the worst team in history by their point differential. They are like -70ish right now. I expect them to be something like -250, which is losing every game by 2 touchdowns plus

There will not be a rule change to prevent this. I don't have an issue with 1-2 teams doing this. I think it's much harder to tank in football than basketball and baseball because you have 22 starters instead of 13 (8postion players and 5 starting pitchers) or 5 (basketball). Taking 1-2 years won't be enough to build a dynasty. The problem in baseball right now is that 15 of the 30 teams are trying to tank. Same with basketball. That's a problem.

Miami tried really hard to be good the other way, and they got stuck in purgatory. Tanking is not a viable strategy for all teams. Football careers are so short and only getting shorter 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1

The Rosen resurrection begins today. Miami beats Dallas on a last second FG, and the rich kid from UCLA becomes the people's champ in Miami, taking a rag-tag unit to a 4-12 record - still good enough for the #1 pick, but not the o-fer people were assuming. Xavien Howard goes to social media and calls Rosen "his captain" for the season.

Rosen gets the nod going into next season, with Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy going #1 overall, Georgia OT Andrew Thomas going #8 (Steelers pick) and Clemson RB Travis Entinne going at 21 (Texans pick). Armed with two dynamic weapons and a blindside protector, Rosen goes 7-9, including a W vs New England. 

I think they beat the Jets. While the Jets have a good defense that will cause problems for Miami, the Dolphins at least have QB talent if they don’t have anything else. Whereas the Jets offense has Bell and nothing more.

I can easily see the Miami defense stepping up and putting on. I could see them holding the Jets to 10 points without Darnold.

What’s more I can see he Dolphins offense getting hot with Rosen/Parker/Gesicki/Drake. They’ve clearly got talent. They just need the OL to gel long enough to allow some of that enough time to flourish.

They also can beat the Redskins. Especially coming off of their bye week. That will be a very winnable game.

Beyond that, it’s football, any team can lose on any given week (however unlikely most lose to the Dolphins. Perhaps the Patriots rest starters that last week and the Dolphins play that game as if it’s their SB.

I think the Dolphins find a way to win 3 games by season’s end. 

On 9/21/2019 at 9:52 AM, wackywabbit said:

If the Patriots have home field locked up by week 17 I'd love to see BB mess up their draft pick.

The whole tanking as a strategy thing is dumb anyway. Even if they start nailing their draft picks, the foundation would be too trashy for them to succeed and you'll have to waste years of those players' primes building around them. If you have a competent FO you don't need to tank to rebuild; all of the good teams are constantly reloading. This is not the same league as the NBA, I'd much rather be in the position of a so-called treadmill team like the Titans. All you need to do is make one right hit on a QB and you are in serious contention. And you don't need to be terrible to find a QB. 

The Dolphins will have enough cap space to where they also can supplement talent through FA,  but I do agree with your general premise about having no base of talent to begin with. 

Edited by Bolts223

On 9/22/2019 at 9:54 AM, diamondbull424 said:

I think they beat the Jets. While the Jets have a good defense that will cause problems for Miami, the Dolphins at least have QB talent if they don’t have anything else. Whereas the Jets offense has Bell and nothing more.

Just hope the Jets game is not one of those Mono-a-Mono battles. 

• Like 1

It has to be No To All Three.

No thought required. You always want normalcy to work for you, not against you. 

I bet sports in Las Vegas for 24 years. The guys who succeeded in that realm limited subjectivity and allowed overreaction to work in their favor. The guys who were always broke and begging were the ones who thought they had to watch every game, allow every game to change their mind, and took every projection to the extreme.

Those are the ones who would be confidently asserting 0-16.

Football with a week between games is ideal for that type. There is a reason ESPN has a weekly segment called, "Overreaction Monday." They are mocking the practice but doing so because they know it is so prevalent in this sport.

I'm a life long Dolphins fan but haven't been watching the games this season. Stephen Ross is not my favorite, to put it mildly. Those ghastly uniforms Miami wore yesterday were symbolic of the caliber of decision making during the Ross tenure.

I tuned in yesterday for the first time this year, to take a look at Rosen. Anything is preferable to 7 years of Ryan Tannehill. That was beyond hellish. Rosen has more ability, instincts and moxie than Tannehill but is not as accurate. 

I was not surprised that Xavien Howard struggled so badly. Amari Cooper versus Xavien Howard is a monumental mismatch. One guy has been elite all his life. The other guy is recently made and paid as something he has never been. It's too bad the Dolphins overreacted there, while making so many otherwise astute choices in recent months, dating to the Rosen trade. I posted on this site a couple of months ago that it was a foolish decision to pay Howard all that money, given his resume and lack of ideal frame...only 31 1/4 inch arms. I posted that Howard is a good player but would be viewed as a disappointment in regard to that contract. Not exactly a difficult call. I posted the same on Miami sites regarding Reshad Jones, who may possess one of the most absurd contracts of all time. 

Paying Jakeem Grant was another strange decision. He needs everything to be going well, not poorly. He would be a splendid occasional weapon on a team like the Chiefs. But to pay him while going through a struggle period is not ideal. Without special teams blocking and without a clicking passing game. Grant's weaknesses are going to show up more than his strengths. 

Edited by Awsi Dooger

They're playing the Jets twice, the Bengals, the Redskins and the Giants. If they go 0-16 they'll earn it.

Also I wouldn't bet my life on teams like the Chargers, the Bills, the Steelers or the Browns to win against them.

They're terrible for sure, they also just played what are probably 3 of the best NFL squads. Next week should give us a better vision of how bad they are.