Evaluation of Offensive Talent

BACK2MACKSACK

I've been noticing that our offense has been receiving a lot of flack for their porous performance thus far into the season. As a fan, I don't want to just sit back and complain but I want to breakdown our offense as a whole during this season by units. This way when the off-season rolls around we are able to know where our offense ranks as a whole compared to other teams in the league.

I'm going to start with the QB position. Right now I'm ranking the position based on the QB of each team being fully healthy. I prefer to break down rankings into tiers but feel free to rank them any way you see fit. My rankings are based on stats, clutch factor, and playoff success.

Elite: Tom Brady, A-Rod, Mahomes, and Drew Brees

Pro-Bowl Caliber: Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson, Philip Rivers, Dak Prescott, Jared Goff

Above Average: DeShaun Watson, Baker Mayfield, Big Ben, Cam Newton, Carson Wentz

Average: Josh Allen, Jimmy G, Kirk Cousins, Matthew Stafford, Nick Foles

Below Average: Sam Darnold, Andy Dalton, Derek Carr, Mitch Tribusky, Jameis Winston, and Marcus Mariota

Young/Unknown: Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones, Drew Lock, Dwayne Haskins, and Josh Rosen

Feel free to agree or disagree. I really am interested in how the rest of the forum ranks our offensive unit as a whole through this and future discussions. Thus far I've noticed that the talent level of the QB position as a whole is worlds better than it was 20 or even 10 years ago. There are very few teams with trash QBs.

:)

I'd probably put Trubisky in the young/unknown category, just based on his lack of snaps at UNC and his first year in the NFL with pop warner coaches.

I'd also probably flip Watson and Prescott...or leave Watson be and still put Prescott in the AA category.

I may even put Wilson in the elite spot. If his OL was better than awful, he would be considered elite by everyone, imo.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I may even put Wilson in the elite spot. If his OL was better than awful, he would be considered elite by everyone, imo.

Russell is most definitely elite. He's like the least talked about great player in NFL history, and it's really kind of weird. 

And, as to the OP,  I wouldn't brand Mahommes elite after one year. He's gotta do well this year to sell me (and probably will, but still...).

• Like 1

Not counting the unknowns, Mitch is about 20th best QB in the league right now.

Jacoby, JG, Flacco, Darnold, Rosen, Dalton, Winston, Manning, Fitz ....are about the only QB's who I would not take over Mitch right now (although it's not all on him).

QB: D-
Mitch's performance was below average last year and yet it was still better than this year so far. God help us if Mitch goes down for any extended period of time because Daniels is a 3rd string veteran and nothing more--we could do way better here.

RB: C+
Montgomery looks like the real deal but I need to see more than 2 games. Cohen has played pretty decent this season and the opportunities for explosive plays have been there for him to make but it's also being crippled by poor coaching and poor QB play. Davis has been utterly useless thus far.

WR: C-
Arob is a #2 WR playing the role of a #1 who has yet to return to form following his injury, but he is clearly our best wide receiver by far. Gabriel is a run of of mill WR with no instincts in the red zone. Miller's potential is sky high. Wims is a project player with potential but potential doesn't always translate to the field. Patterson is not a good WR and is nothing more than a gadget player with speed.

OL: B+
This is a solid group, overall. I know people like to harp on their favorite teams OL and call them bad but more times than not those people are not comparing them to the rest of the league.

Edited by JustAnotherFan

4 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Not counting the unknowns, Mitch is about 20th best QB in the league right now.

Jacoby, JG, Flacco, Darnold, Rosen, Dalton, Winston, Manning, Fitz ....are about the only QB's who I would not take over Mitch right now (although it's not all on him).

QB: D-
Mitch's performance was below average last year and yet it was still better than this year so far. God help us if Mitch goes down for any extended period of time because Daniels is a 3rd string veteran and nothing more--we could do way better here.

RB: C+
Montgomery looks like the real deal but I need to see more than 2 games. Cohen has played pretty decent this season and the opportunities for explosive plays have been there for him to make but it's also being crippled by poor coaching and poor QB play. Davis has been utterly useless thus far.

WR: C-
Arob is a #2 WR playing the role of a #1 who has yet to return to form following his injury, but he is clearly our best wide receiver by far. Gabriel is a run of of mill WR with no instincts in the red zone. Miller's potential is sky high. Wims is a project player with potential but potential doesn't always translate to the field. Patterson is not a good WR and is nothing more than a gadget player with speed.

OL: B+
This is a solid group, overall. I know people like to harp on their favorite teams OL and call them bad but more times than not those people are not comparing them to the rest of the league.

Sorry no way the OL is playing that well so far. At most they are a C. 

9 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Jared Goff has put up nearly identical stats to Trubisky (as has Watson)  Baker has been pretty damn bad (as has Cam Newton)

Brady, Brees, and Wilson, are the elites.  Mahommes has to repeat the success to prove he belongs with those guys.

With Goff I'm conflicted, since this takes into account his past accomplishments but his postseason play has been garbage. 

With Mahomes I'm biased, so I can't say he isn't elite. I feel like he is right there with the best and barring injury will be the NFL's face just as Brady or Manning was. 

Watson and Mahomes look pretty darn good.  Watson won’t survive year though.  He takes way too many shots trying to make plays.  He is lucky he isn’t hurt already.   

Mahomes is just a stud. 

People are fixating  on one good game by this young QB or that young QB, but most of rest have looked like hot garbage to be honest.   

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Watson and Mahomes look pretty darn good.  Watson won’t survive year though.  He takes way too many shots trying to make plays.  He is lucky he isn’t hurt already.   

Mahomes is just a stud. 

People are fixating  on one good game by this young QB or that young QB, but most of rest have looked like hot garbage to be honest.   

Mahomes is next level talent. Watson I am not sold on for a couple of reasons. He is inconsistent, he can throw for 2-3 TDs and then throws 1-2 ints. I also think he will get injured sooner or later. 

On 9/21/2019 at 9:19 AM, BACK2MACKSACK said:

I've been noticing that our offense has been receiving a lot of flack for their porous performance thus far into the season. As a fan, I don't want to just sit back and complain but I want to breakdown our offense as a whole during this season by units. This way when the off-season rolls around we are able to know where our offense ranks as a whole compared to other teams in the league.

I'm going to start with the QB position. Right now I'm ranking the position based on the QB of each team being fully healthy. I prefer to break down rankings into tiers but feel free to rank them any way you see fit. My rankings are based on stats, clutch factor, and playoff success.

Elite: Tom Brady, A-Rod, Mahomes, and Drew Brees

Pro-Bowl Caliber: Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson, Philip Rivers, Dak Prescott, Jared Goff

Above Average: DeShaun Watson, Baker Mayfield, Big Ben, Cam Newton, Carson Wentz

Average: Josh Allen, Jimmy G, Kirk Cousins, Matthew Stafford, Nick Foles

Below Average: Sam Darnold, Andy Dalton, Derek Carr, Mitch Tribusky, Jameis Winston, and Marcus Mariota

Young/Unknown: Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones, Drew Lock, Dwayne Haskins, and Josh Rosen

Feel free to agree or disagree. I really am interested in how the rest of the forum ranks our offensive unit as a whole through this and future discussions. Thus far I've noticed that the talent level of the QB position as a whole is worlds better than it was 20 or even 10 years ago. There are very few teams with trash QBs.

:)

Elite: Tom Brady, A-Rod, Mahomes, Russell Wilson, and Drew Brees

Pro-Bowl Caliber: Matt Ryan, , Philip Rivers, Dak Prescott,

Above Average: DeShaun Watson, Big Ben, Cam Newton, Carson Wentz, Jared Goff

Average: Josh Allen, Jimmy G, Matthew Stafford, Nick Foles,  Baker Mayfield, Mitch Tribusky

Below Average: Sam Darnold, Andy Dalton, Derek Carr, , Jameis Winston, and Marcus Mariota, Kirk Cousins

25 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Average: Josh Allen, Jimmy G, Matthew Stafford, Nick Foles,  Baker Mayfield, Mitch Tribusky

Below Average: Sam Darnold, Andy Dalton, Derek Carr, , Jameis Winston, and Marcus Mariota, Kirk Cousins

Big Ben has really fallen off from a couple of years ago. Jimmy G seems like fools gold for the Niners. I'm surprised people think Dak is a Pro Bowl level QB right now. I guarantee he will regress when facing a top 15 defense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Dak is playing well right now but I would not put him in a category above guys like Watson and Wentz.  To me those guys are better.

Dak has the benefit of having one of the best o-lines and RBs in the game and with pretty decent receiving weapons to boot.

Just my opinion anyway.

• Like 1

To me this is an indictment on our Oline which has been terrible this year.  By far my biggest disappointment while everyone else focuses their ire on MT.  

I no longer think we are a Super Bowl contender because of our Oline play.

Only thing worse is our TE blocking, but we thought that would be bad.  And it has been even worse than we thought.  

Its possible it can be turned around.