Week 3 GDT: Saints (1-1) @ Seahawks (2-0)

Canadian Saint

Next man up. Often the the message for many teams. Often implies that no matter what injuries or troubles the team has, the next player in line has to step up and fill the void. The Saints will have that this week. With HOF QB Drew Brees stayed to miss 6 weeks, back up QB Teddy Bridgewater gets the reins for a while. A highly touted QB with the Vikings will be looking to find his form as he hopes to steady the ship until Brees returns. In addition, with Anzalone, Kirkwood and Smith all our, many opportunities for younger players to step up and impress. 

In our way are one of the top NFC teams in the past little while. The Seahawks under Carroll and GM Schneider have turned into annual power house. Lead by underrated franchise QB Russel Wilson, this team always has a chance to compete for the playoffs. 

Positions to watch:

I think I could just copy and paste from last week really. The secondary right now is lagging behind our other position groups on defence. Williams continues to blow coverages and Lattimore is continuously losing his guy. Bell and Apple have been solid but they have their limitations. If they don’t solidify, doesn’t matter about the QB situation, going deep into the playoffs will be difficult either way.

For this game, our D-line vs. Seahawks O-line will give us a good idea on how the game will end up. Our D-line currently leads the NFL in sacks. They need to tighten up against the run a little but I have faith they will. The Seahawks O-line is much improved from years past. 

I think this one will be a close one. Payton will definitely game plan around Teddy and we will se a much different offence. I look for Kamara to get a metric ton of touches, early and often. 

Homer score: 24-17 Saints 

I should probably "select all + delete" this, because there's not much positive for me to say about our first few weeks, other than Lutz is clutch!

Take some time to watch Bridgewater and note that he will not throw a route open, or anticipate that a receiver is capable of getting open. As in, a receiver MUST already be open before he'll throw the ball. This makes it look like his reaction time is slow, but it's not really his reaction time, it's his timing + trust. And I'm not just talking about him with the Saints, I watched this live so many times up in Minnesota, and I bitched about it then, too! The ball should be in the air before a receiver's route is complete, and it NEVER is with Teddy. Never. I hope they've worked on it.

So far, any receiver not named Michael Thomas can't seem to get open to save their lives. I'll save further comment to see how Teddy and timing change now that he's getting solid practice with the 1's. I sometimes think the other receivers almost don't care, because they know 50% of the passes are going to MT whether he's open or not. And maybe that will change with Brees out, as we all know he plays his favorites to a fault.

Our defense, specifically the secondary.......I can only point to......you guessed it, COACHING!!! Again, and forever, our secondary coaching staff needs to be gone years ago. We draft and sign good secondary players, only to watch them stink it up AFTER our coaches have the chance to change them, and not for the better. We've seen time & time again when players leave the Saints, their game improves dramatically!! And some come back, only to go back to sucking. That's not a player issue, that's a coaching issue. But when you're popping up 42 points a game, it's not an issue, right? Well, guess what, 9 points for us doesn't win games.

I don't see this team eeking out a win in the next few weeks. Seattle is no joke, and Wilson will have our defense looking like 1 fox chasing 12 chickens. It won't be pretty.
And the "new" Dallas offense..... that could be an all out blood bath.

I'll happily come back and eat crow if warranted.

Mitchell Loewen getting switched to TE the same week Alize Mack gets cut from the practice squad.

Imagine being so bad at TE that the team is like “nah, we’ll just convert a roster bubble caliber DT to a TE instead, have a nice life”

Edited by Dome
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dome said:

Mitchell Loewen getting switched to TE the same week Alize Mack gets cut from the practice squad.

Imagine being so bad at TE that the team is like “nah, we’ll just convert a roster bubble caliber DT to a TE instead, have a nice life”

Several years ago a really good friend of mine got dumped by his wife. She wanted a divorce. It turns out, she had a really hot girlfriend.

Basically the same thing when your "tight end" gets replaced by a "defensive end".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I can't help but to get a little feisty about our coaches, especially when I'm looking at the production of Mark Ingram this year.

I blame Ingram’s agent more than our coaches. 

His agent told him he should hold out for a better deal so he did. We had to go out and get his replacement cause we just weren’t sure what he’d command. 

Turns out, much less than his agent thought 

• Like 1

That was a tough, gritty win. The games the old Saints would always lose, Kamara/defense/ST carried us. MVP of the game after Kamara was Morstead. Teddy didn't stand out, but it's good that he didn't stand out in a bad way either. If we can win in Seattle with him game managing then we can definitely stay afloat til Brees gets back. 

What a change from the days where we'd go 7-9 even with Brees. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

That was a tough, gritty win. The games the old Saints would always lose, Kamara/defense/ST carried us. MVP of the game after Kamara was Morstead. Teddy didn't stand out, but it's good that he didn't stand out in a bad way either. If we can win in Seattle with him game managing then we can definitely stay afloat til Brees gets back. 

What a change from the days where we'd go 7-9 even with Brees. 

Amazing what a defense can do for you.  Even with their issues they are still 1000x better than those 7-9 seasons.

48 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

I'm still not sure why PJ is starting over PRob.

I keep forgetting we even have PRob

Edit: Special Teams and Defense picked a hell of a week to come through with points. Didn't have to ask too much out of Bridgewater. We can afford the L next week and still stay afloat (especially with the state of the NFC South)

Edited by Fray32

I was impressed with our run defense. We only had a few big runs, and forced Wilson to pass a career record 50 times! That's on the front 6/7!!

Also, as mentioned above, Morested. The guys is as good as they get. I don't know if he's "the best ever" or how you even measure that, but who's better, or has ever been better than Thomas?

I'm starting to feel comfortable saying Kamara is THE BEST all around RB in the league. He's not a pounder, but he can do everything, and his vision & balance are the best! Prove me wrong, I'll wait patiently.

• Like 2