Week 3 GDT: Saints (1-1) @ Seahawks (2-0)

Canadian Saint

Let’s give Teddy a home game in the dome before crushing the guy.  As has been said, he’s no Brees, but even Brees has struggled before on the road in bad weather.  

Teddy doesn’t make the consistent throws Brees does and he doesn’t command the offense the way Brees does, but he played a decent game considering the circumstances.  

And like I said before, this team is essentially built for more of a short game due to Brees limitations in his old age.  We’re not gonna be elite throwing the ball deep.  We haven’t had to be either, due to Kamara and Thomas being elite short/intermediate threats.  And in the two games Teddy has played, one was against the Rams, who we sucked so bad against, the line was getting obliterated, and the other was in the rain at Seattle.  Just about the hardest situation for a guy to jump into who hasn’t played a meaningful game in years.

Also, being up 27-7, there’s no need to take chances with a backup QB.  Just take care of the ball and play defense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

In the end, time will tell, and tile is telling me there are better stop gaps out there.

Alright, I don’t disagree with this... but it just feels like moving the goalposts.

The premise of the argument was never “Teddy is not the best stopgap” if it was, I wouldn’t have had the same reaction. 

Edited by Dome

2 hours ago, Dome said:

I’m sure Kamara and Thomas would make things easier for any QB we throw in there. Brees included. 

When Brees gets discredited for making easy passes to Thomas and Kamara I’m sure it pisses you off, right? Now you’re doing it to Teddy.

This is the most important thing to take away from the post. 

Brees has been benefiting from Kamara doing Kamara things for 2 seasons now. Doesn’t seem fair to take away front Teddy’s game unless you’re willing to admit the exact same criticism about Brees.

8 hours ago, Dome said:

This is the most important thing to take away from the post. 

Brees has been benefiting from Kamara doing Kamara things for 2 seasons now. Doesn’t seem fair to take away front Teddy’s game unless you’re willing to admit the exact same criticism about Brees.

No, it isn't fair at all.  It generally isn't right to hold plays like that against any QB.  The QB still has to put it on the money to get YAC.  It's not as difficult a throw as threading the needle 30 yards downfield, but it's not something to hold against a QB, as if it were a negative.

I actually was more into the Teddy sucks camp before this game.  This game has brought me more on board with Teddy as a season saver until Brees gets back, but it seems to have done the opposite for other people.

If that was the best we'll ever see of Teddy, then it's a problem.  But until proven otherwise, I'm expecting a better game from him under better circumstances.  Only to an extent though.  We have some tough defenses coming up that even Brees would plausibly lay an egg against.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

We have some tough defenses coming up that even Brees would plausibly lay an egg against.

Seahawks game in the rain is definitely the type of game Brees has crapped the bed for in the past... if we’re being honest. 

Like I said, if Brees had the exact same game as Teddy nobody would’ve said a word about it. Over 100 rating, no turnovers, win, two touchdowns.

That’s a fine game on the road in a tough stadium and bad conditions. 

12 hours ago, Dome said:

Side note: when was Brees last win in the rain and on the road?

I had to think about this.  Maybe Packers 2017.  And he had a bad first half due to not being able to grip the ball well.  Other than that, the last one I can think of is Tampa 2013, also a bad game, but he did have a game winning drive.  We played the Seahawks on the road twice that year and got stomped, the playoff game was in the rain.  Although that was prime LOB, nto comparable to current Seahawks.  Also lost the division to Carolina that year in the rain because we couldn't run out the clock.  

Let’s say Brees never got hurt and we lost a hard fought game to the rams...

if brees went for 177 yards @ 70% with 2 scores and 0 turnovers in a win against the Seahawks in Seattle people might comment about it being a quiet games for Brees, and then compliment him on being safe with the football in the rain and getting it to Kamara to make plays. 

nobody would’ve been saying Brees sucked that game.

Edited by Dome

3 minutes ago, Dome said:

if brees went for 177 yards @ 70% with 2 scores and 0 turnovers people might comment about it being a quiet games for Brees, and then compliment him on being safe with the football in the rain and getting it to Kamara to make plays. 

I'd only call it a bad game if we lost, or came close to losing, and needed him to make plays.  But we only needed game management.  In fact, the last thing we needed was down the field risk taking.

• Like 1

There's a lot of "no, what I said was" going on here.
@Dome, you started in this thread with:
He’s one of the best backups in the league and showed it yesterday - followed by
That alone makes him a strong backup - followed by
Teddy is an below average starting QB but a real solid stopgap - followed by
hes a backup and one of the better ones in the league - followed by
Teddy is a “below average” I mean he’s a backup for Christ’s sake - followed by
The premise of the argument was never “Teddy is not the best stopgap”

So in a few hours, you actually demoted him yourself. So I guess in a few days, you'll be where I am.

I would also like to bring up the issue I find with constantly, and I mean constantly making excuses for Bridgewater.

It's always something with a few people here. From "he didn't have Thomas and Kamara" to "it was raining"....

Go back to last season when he was stinking it up, there was all kinds of "yeah, but" comments. And now this year, the same.

At what point can it just be admitted that we made a bad choice by putting Bridge in control of our offense/team?

7 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

So in a few hours, you actually demoted him yourself. So I guess in a few days, you'll be where I am.

No, backup and stopgap don’t mean the same thing. It wasn’t a demotion. The comments are all compatible. 

7 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

It's always something with a few people here. From "he didn't have Thomas and Kamara" to "it was raining"....

Go back to last season when he was stinking it up, there was all kinds of "yeah, but" comments. And now this year, the same.

At what point can it just be admitted that we made a bad choice by putting Bridge in control of our offense/team?

Wow.

if Brees has that exact same game, y’all praising him for taking care of the football in the rain. And that’s a fact.

I’ll bow out here. I’ve seen enough of these to know how these ones usually play out.

Let’s see what Payton whips up for them Cowboys.

Edited by Dome

Furthermore, I pulled up a stat.

Teddy's average "air yards" on completed passes was 1.9 yards.
All of last season this stat was 2.8 yards.

This translates to - He will not throw down field. He has arguably the best WR in the league, and he won't throw to him (unless he's on the 1 yard line). He is literally Captain Checkdown.

He threw downfield about what, 3 times last week? And 1 was on the money. 

Trust me, man, I wan't to believe in Teddy, but as I've said for years now, he doesn't believe in himself, and I don't want a guy like that running my team's offense.

6 minutes ago, Dome said:

Wow.

if Brees has that exact same game, y’all praising him for taking care of the football in the rain. And that’s a fact.

I’ll bow out here. I’ve seen enough of these to know how these ones usually play out.

Dome, that's weak as heck, and you know it.

Oh, and I thought we weren't supposed to be comparing Teddy to Brees. Yet, here we go....

Catch ya next week after we spend a thread forgiving Teddy for taking on that tough Cowboys defense.