Lions VS Eagles Takeaways

Just Want A Title

The Eagles game was crazy and pretty close to the definition of "Win Ugly".  That said:

1.  We could have put the Eagles away but got too conservative again.  One first down on the series that ended in a blocked punt would have pretty much iced the game

2.  We have a serious pass rush problem.  We get some pressure up the middle but get absolutely nothing from our defensive ends.  Most of our sacks are coverage sacks.  Okwara and Flowers really need to step it up.

3.  The O-Line is pass blocking fairly well but the running game is a work-in-progress.  They need to be more consistent.

4.  Joe Dahl seems to be working out well in the passing game.  See above for the running game.

5.  The RBs weren't involved in the passing game at all.  The way the Eagles were attacking it seems like it would have been pretty easy to find some space behind their LBs

6.  Our defense is sound schematically, but not dominant.  I don't know if its a talent of scheme issue but this defense seems to be missing a killer instinct.  We can't get a aack when we really need one.

7.  Hockenson may have had a great first game but he is going through some growing pains now.  I suspect he will be better after the bye week.

8.  Its good to see Logan Thomas get involved in the passing game.  Hockenson has a ton of talent but Logan Thomas and Jesse James should be more involved.  

9.  I think this offense has potential but has yet to really get into a rhythm.  Just like Hockenson, I suspect the offense as whole will get better after the bye week.  That said, they will need to be able to control the clock and put up TDs if they have any hope of beating the Chiefs.

10.  Overall, the D-Line played better today.  Robinson and Harrison were pretty good.  I have bashed A'Shawn Robinson for his lack of pass-rush but he seems to be putting pressure on the pocket at a pretty steady clip.

Thoughts?

I agree with your assessments and would also add.. We need to be able to take the top off the defense. I saw we signed a receiver to the active roster who has been timed sub 4.3... Hopefully this signing proves to be just that.

Mistake filled performance, but for the second week in a row we made the plays we needed to in order to win

Take that every week if the outcome is the same.

Edited by BarryTheBest

I haven’t watched the entire game yet. It was one of my Grandsons birthday parties. They had the game on one of the screens so I caught bits and pieces.

I’m happy for Agnew. It’s great to see him have some success after the recent ball security issues. The sideline when Patricia was congratulating him was also great to see.

From the plays I saw today the oline did a much better job in protection. I scanned the stat line and saw zero sacks which is a huge positive. The running game was absent though. 

As mentioned Other than Hockenson and Ty Johnson none of the backs or TE’s got more than one target. 

They all just looked a half step slower this week and out of synch.

• Like 1

Idk, Kenny Golladay struggled today. I think 8 or 9 targets with only 2 catches. Marvin Jones had a pretty good game. Stafford struggled a bit, and the Oline was just good enough. Not great, but just solid enough, imo, the strength of the team today prolly. No sacks. It was very noticeable how little the TE's were used today. Idk if it was by design or what but we spent a lot of resources to make them a strength and if the team isn't going to use them then maybe we're over spending on TE's that we don't use? I'm not trying to validate my Hock selection hate, just hating how he's being used along with Jesse James. Seems like a waste of resources when the Oline can't really run block and Dline can't apply pressure. 

Good to come away with the win anyways, kind of needed to take advantage of the Eagles situation if they're going to attempt a playoff/divison run. 

Trade for Jalen Ramsey. Tomorrow, tonight. Slay may miss some time with a hamstring issue is the rumor. 

We don't have a shot in hell vs the Cheifs, but if Lions are going to try, they need a shake up on special teams(Coach/KR). 

Go out and sign some guys that have upside and provide real depth. WR Laquan Treadwell, WR/KR Bruce Ellington, T Matt Kalil, RB Jay Ajayi, OG Chance Warmack. 

Edited by SimbaWho

8 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I haven’t watched the entire game yet. It was one of my Grandsons birthday parties. They had the game on one of the screens so I caught bits and pieces.

I’m happy for Agnew. It’s great to see him have some success after the recent ball security issues. The sideline when Patricia was congratulating him was also great to see.

From the plays I saw today the oline did a much better job in protection. I scanned the stat line and saw zero sacks which is a huge positive. The running game was absent though. 

As mentioned Other than Hockenson and Ty Johnson none of the backs or TE’s got more than one target. 

They all just looked a half step slower this week and out of synch.

Wait what? Grandkids? I never knew you were that old.

• Like 1

I think our record is better than we are.  It was a good win on the road against a solid team but they were beat up and injuries killed them.  We hads ome fortunate plays with the fumbles.  We look solid for 3 quarters and then fold, which is annoying because we should be winning comfortably instead of letting these teams back in.  We get conservative on O and then don't get 1st downs and then the D is out there a lot and gets tired. 

Overall I think we are a middle of the road team that has caught some breaks so far.  We don't impress me too much.