Week 3 - Rams @ Browns

stl4life07

@RamRod hasnt put up a game day thread for this week but I figured Id do so.

My feeling is I think the Rams win tonight. Im always nervous when the Rams play on SNF because not only do they lose but they struggle badly. Last season they played back to back SNF games and the Bears and Eagles beat the Rams and made the offense look bad in the process. I think three times the charm though. McVay has to take advantage of a depleted Browns defense. Not only that but the Browns are an undisciplined team so I could see them self-destructing with penalties. On defense I expect Baker to play better but the Rams pass rush against that Browns bad oline I like. I expect Donald to have one of his 3 sack games. My score prediction is Rams win 34-21. I look for the Rams trio of receivers to all make their presence felt in this game because again the Browns have a depleted secondary and I think McVay comes out and take advantage of it. 

Thanks for getting a thread up. Havent been on much this week and it slipped my mind. In the future If I don't have one up by the middle of the week or so anyone get go ahead and post one up.

Because Will Dissly had to go and score on a freaking untimed down I actually kinda need the Rams fantasy defense to have a quiet game.

I dont know why the Rams are having these slow starts on offense. I expect them to get things going in the 2nd half but like they shouldnt be only scoring 3pts right now. The defense has been really good despite a nice game plan by the Browns on offense to get the ball out quickly. The Rams have to get the running game going. I said I expected McVay to test this Browns beat up secondary but with no running game its hard to just be one sided. Plus it feels like when the Rams are having an off day on offense Zeurlien misses a FG and thats exactly what he did. It should be 6-6 right now. Oh well I have confidence in the Rams making adjustments and coming out in the 2nd half and doing what they did against the Saints and thats put together a strong half to set themselves up for possibly a win. 

It wasnt easy. Im glad the Rams got the win because playing on SNF has been a nightmare for the Rams. Maybe they arent used to playing on SNF because this is the 4th time they have played on that stage in 9yrs. The offense was up and down but came through in spots when they had too. The defense played great. Its tough to win on the road especially in the "Dog Pound" in Cleveland. The Rams are (3-0) but they have to get things fixed on offense. The offense need to start fast in the 1st half. The running game need to be better than it was tonight. Goff made some bad plays. All in all though we can live with it because again the Rams made the plays on both sides of the ball when they had too. Kupp is a monster. Im loving having him on my fantasy team lol. 

Edited by stl4life07

Good team win. Our defense is looking better than last year. 

Not impressed with Goff. He’s gotten better everywhere else but his decision making and ability to read defenses are still questionable 

McVay scolded him on the sidelines too. Maybe he won’t be a top 5 QB in the league but if he can get to top 10 then we have a chance of hopefully winning it all 

Edited by rocky_rams

2 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Not impressed with Goff. He’s gotten better everywhere else but his decision making and ability to read defenses are still questionable 

McVay scolded him on the sidelines too. Maybe he won’t be a top 5 QB in the league but if he can get to top 10 then we have a chance of hopefully winning it all 

The thing with Goff is that he just finds a way. Like as bad as he looked tonight, he still is credited with a 4th quarter comeback. When he had to lead the team down the field to score a td in the 4th quarter trailing he did. When he came out of halftime with the team trailing he lead the offense down the field for a td. Sometimes its not pretty but he gets the job done. Thats why the Rams are so great in close games and other than the Patriots have won the most games since the start of last season. Like people game into the season saying, no way the Rams are going to be great this season in close games. Last season I think they were (6-1) in games decided by 8pts or less. So far this season the Rams are (2-0) and both came on the road. Thats impressive. So yeah I hope Goff can clean some things up but I trust him to find a way to lead the Rams to a victory. (3-0) is a great start considering two games was on the road and the other game was against the Saints whom we saw went to Seattle and dominated them from start to finish. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

The thing with Goff is that he just finds a way. Like as bad as he looked tonight, he still is credited with a 4th quarter comeback. When he had to lead the team down the field to score a td in the 4th quarter trailing he did. When he came out of halftime with the team trailing he lead the offense down the field for a td. Sometimes its not pretty but he gets the job done. Thats why the Rams are so great in close games and other than the Patriots have won the most games since the start of last season. Like people game into the season saying, no way the Rams are going to be great this season in close games. Last season I think they were (6-1) in games decided by 8pts or less. So far this season the Rams are (2-0) and both came on the road. Thats impressive. So yeah I hope Goff can clean some things up but I trust him to find a way to lead the Rams to a victory. (3-0) is a great start considering two games was on the road and the other game was against the Saints whom we saw went to Seattle and dominated them from start to finish. 

It’s expected for him to get a win tonight.  He was facing a team whose entire starting secondary was injured.  He just got paid the most guaranteed money of all time. He’s a number one overall pick. Those are the expectations. But he can’t be sloppy with the ball. 

I don’t know if it’s he can’t read defenses or just doesn’t make good decisions with the ball sometime. 

Another thought is if McVay is holding him back. Which sounds weird. But McVay is a type A personality who micromanages things. I wonder if winning games forced McVay to “give” Goff the answers instead of letting Goff learn himself (which might take longer, leading to less wins)

I know I'm being ticky tacky but ****, I want to see McVay be mad one time. This was not well played and he just continues to take the blame and defer. Maybe he does behind the scenes but man idk why, maybe it's me being old school, but I hate that he never gets mad hahah. Again, I'm nitpicking.

36 minutes ago, btfd16 said:

I know I'm being ticky tacky but ****, I want to see McVay be mad one time. This was not well played and he just continues to take the blame and defer. Maybe he does behind the scenes but man idk why, maybe it's me being old school, but I hate that he never gets mad hahah. Again, I'm nitpicking.

I mean, part of the offense's slow start is on him. His playcalling with his love of the 3rd and manageable WR screen has been highly questionable.

Though he did seem to get on Jared twice today after drives. Once was after the incompletion to Reynolds to set-up GZ field goal. And again on Jared's 2nd pick. Not sure what he saw on the first instance but obviously the 2nd Jared cannot force that ball when we can just punt and give them 90 yards to score.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

Honestly, I thought Goff was one of the better performances on offense last night. He had to deal with a ton of pressure and drops, but I can only remember a handful of missed throws. Most of them were right on the money an he was escaping the pocket pretty well. 

We need our line to step it up. Allen is letting too much pressure in and while I like Demby, the thought of him being a full time starter scares the crap out of me. I wonder if we look into bringing Sully back if Allen continues to struggle? 

Mannn last night scared the hell out of me and confirmed some concerns that I had going into the season. But first, the positives:

• We got a Win. It was ugly, but a win nonetheless.
  • Cooper Kupp shined and is easily Goff's favorite target. Shaping up to have a dominant season.
  • Aaron Donald. Not much to say that we don't know, but happy he got his first sack recorded.
  • Clay Matthews is having a resurgence in this rotational role. Most of his sacks are coverage sacks, but he still constantly brings pressure.
  • The Secondary is the best part of this defense. If Baker didn't dump the ball off in under 3 seconds, it was a QB pressure/sack and likely a poor throw because no one was open.
  • Dante Fowler just looks comfortable in this defense. I know the sack totals do not reflect it, but he's flying around making plays against both the run and the pass. 

The negatives....

• The lack of veteran OL depth is a problem. We saw it vaguely in the first two games, but it was on display last night. Demby had two killer false starts, one in the 1st half that led to a 10 second run off. The other in the second on 3rd and goal on the 1inch line. Luckily Kupp scored, but it was whip the remote at the TV worthy falling for a shift between lineman and jumped offsides. Could of used Stefen Wisniewski as most were clamoring for going into the year.
  • Brian Allen couldn't hold many blocks at the point of contact and it really killed our inside running game, which is the most important piece to setting up the play action pass and is the best way to beat "the way" the Patriots showed teams to beat us. They seal off the edge that kill our stretch plays/fakes/ screens and come right up the gut. Brian Allen and Demby are really stalling this offense. Allen for sheer lack of talent and Demby for mental mistakes we cannot afford. Also, Brian Allen should be credited with the sack on 3rd down that pushed back to a 47year FG that Zuerlein missed.
  • Goff. smh. He makes beautiful throws and I fully support him, but some of his decision making is just pitiful. The two picks should have never been thrown and he forced them. Also, second week with a strip fumble. He needs to have some better pocket awareness, but ultimately he needs to trust his O-Line so I'll let it go. If it keeps happening, its on him though.
  • I feel like I'm in 2001 all over again and Mike Martz won't pound the F'n ball. Passing on 3rd and 2 in the 4th with under 3:15 left and Goff's forces a pick HAS to be his wake up call. He says it after every loss that he needs to get better and he needs to trust the run and not get pass happy and yet it just keeps happening. The inside run game has failed the entire game outside of 2 series and he's still running play action with Goff in that scenario. I just don't understand. It is easily McVay's biggest/maybe only flaw.

**Freddie Kitchen gift wrapped us this game after the 4th and 9 Draw play and just overall terrible play calling. They could of ran it in with Chubb and tied it at any point in that last series. That guy he's a buffoon. Onto to Tampa Bay...

Edited by BStanRamFan
  • Like 1