The hunt for +316 (currently +175)

Apparition

The '07 team, in addition to going 16-0 and setting all kinds of offensive records, set the NFL record for best point differential ever in a season with +315.

Through 3 games, this year's team sits at +89 (106 for, 17 against), which means that to beat the '07 team they'll have to have an average point differential of +17.5 for the rest of the season.

The '07 team sat at +79 through its first three games.

I will update this post periodically to track the team's point differential.

Edited by Starless

29 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

I think that's a bit outlandish with our offense right now. I don't see enough points being scored to accomplish that. However I could see between +225 and 250

It's more about the defense doing what it's been doing. This team doesn't face a team with an offense that can legitimately threaten it for at least another couple of weeks (we'll see how Daniel Jones fares going forward). This team is still on track to score over 500 points so it's not outlandish at all to think they can get to +316 if the defense continues to dominate.

5 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

inevitable busted coverages, defenders falling down etc.

And muffed punts and backup QB pick-sixes.

the Pats can definitely break this record too. The offense will bet so much better when it is healthy and gelling. N’Keal Harry, Ben Watson, Cam Meredith, Isaiah Wynn, David Andrews, Matt LaCosse are all missing to start and have been shuffling around. Not to mention sandwiched between the first three games was the whole Antonio Brown distraction. James White missed this game, Edelman left today and may miss next week, not to mention Develin was out today. Their offense will be great and capable of huge outputs to compliment the shutdown defense.

14 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

*Just need Gostkowski to hit the PAT’s and easy field goals.

That’s true, he’s left at least 6 easy points out there, they could be at +110.

....is bemoaning your teams inevitably good point differential because they didn’t break their own record the ultimate in “spoiled fan privilege”?

• Like 1

I don't think we'll get anywhere near close, personally. There will be plenty of defensive struggles down the line, IMO, with our offensive injuries. You can easily see a scenario where Gordon is back out, and we're rolling with an Edelman, Dorsett and Meyers receiving corps with LaCosse and White. It's good, but it's not Brown, Gordon and Jules. With the offensive line seemingly crumbling as well, it just seems far-fetched to match anything 07-related.

It will have to be done on D, but usually with strong defenses, you get into a few 15-12, 13-3 type games which will knock that differential down.

Ultimately though, it's the #1 seed we care about - no matter HOW we get there. And we are ON for that :D 

53 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I don't think we'll get anywhere near close, personally. There will be plenty of defensive struggles down the line, IMO, with our offensive injuries. You can easily see a scenario where Gordon is back out, and we're rolling with an Edelman, Dorsett and Meyers receiving corps with LaCosse and White. It's good, but it's not Brown, Gordon and Jules. With the offensive line seemingly crumbling as well, it just seems far-fetched to match anything 07-related.

It will have to be done on D, but usually with strong defenses, you get into a few 15-12, 13-3 type games which will knock that differential down.

Ultimately though, it's the #1 seed we care about - no matter HOW we get there. And we are ON for that :D 

I agree. We won't score enough points for that. 

But we will get Harry, Watson and Wynn back, that should help.

• 3 weeks later...