What do we go in the 2020 draft?

Wolzen

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Ya, I suppose that I agree. I would rather wait until 5-6 for a RB though. We just have so many holes. But BPA is BPA, and a RB likely will be BPA in rounds 3 or 4.

I am hoping that the knee injury to Dylan Moses drops him to our R2. He could be the super rangy ILB that this scheme needs.

Just like Risner’s supposed questions (Big 12 competition, limited athleticism) drew his stock to mid Rd2 that would be a fantastic result.  I don’t see a ILB that is top 10-15 so you know my feelings on reaching for need.  But in the 30’s the fit of overall BPA/need meshes so much better this year at ILB.  Or WR.  Love when guys fall for non-skill reasons that’s where value can be mined on Day 2.  

Elway spent too many drafts needing to get “his guy” that he overpaid by going early to get them.   Carlos Henderson, Brandon Langley, the CSU guys, etc.  Letting the board give him Sutton & Risner Rd2 has been a godsend to watch.  Strategies like that give us the most hope.  

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Ya, I suppose that I agree. I would rather wait until 5-6 for a RB though. We just have so many holes. But BPA is BPA, and a RB likely will be BPA in rounds 3 or 4.

I am hoping that the knee injury to Dylan Moses drops him to our R2. He could be the super rangy ILB that this scheme needs.

I don’t mind if we wait until Rd5-6 either.  But we should definitely hit the RB class this year.  It’s that good.   It just depends who is left and the alternatives behind them vs. our other positions (by Day 3 there isn’t truly a huge gap in overall BPA so need is easier to justify).   

We should look to use Freeman’s cheap 4 years but always still be looking to find the next hidden gem.   By Day 3 the cost is so cheap.  

Edited by Broncofan

Rounds 2 on it's a must to consider runningback also because  you never know when a hold out is possible in today's NFL even if Freeman and Lindsay became a top 10 duo a hold out is possible given Lindsay and his draft position. 

Do I want D'andre Swift in round 2 if other positions with talent are there no. It will be considered though. I think we will be shocked how many selections are made in 2020 if 2019 was 6 expect double that number of selections minimum. 

Edited by thebestever6

16 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Again, I am very confused why Freeman is getting grouped in this category. He is playing really good football. 

Really good - you think? Personally, I think he's displayed good pad level and strength at contact but besides that, I am not impressed. Average vision, very little explosion to his cuts, useless in the passing game and not a particularly great blocker for someone of his size.

If he was a UDFA I wouldn't be too bothered given the lack of investment. But for a 3rd round pick he's not shown enough in my opinion.

I also echo all of the sentiments laid out by @Broncofan in relation to his long term picture with this team. He's got so much tread on his tyres and with the way he plays, he fast approaching the proverbial 'cliff' that RBs fall off.

I am absolutely baffled how you could prefer him to Lindsay. They aren't even in the same stratosphere from a talent and versatility perspective.

• Like 1

I am absolutely baffled how you could prefer him to Lindsay. They aren't even in the same stratosphere from a talent and versatility perspective.

I don't prefer him to Lindsay. I think he is a great compliment to Lindsay. I think he is preforming about average for a 3rd round RB. Given some of the other performers from the 2018 draft class, he is doing great. That may be relative, and a result of myself looking for positives, but he isn't a bad player by any means IMO. His pass catching has improved tremendously, he is a powerful runner and IMO he has good cuts for someone his size. He is on pace for nearly 1K yards and is past that 4.5ypc benchmark that everyone loves. I just think there are tons, absolutely tons, of other players to complain about other than Royce.

WR is absolutely something we need to be in the market for. Whether that's Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, etc... it has to be firmly on the radar. I would also not necessarily rule out an OT with our 1st rounder (Wirfs?), or someone like Grant Delpit, who would be an excellent safety here. Candidly, I'm not sure they extend Simmons, or, if they do, but let Harris walk, I could see Jackson sliding back to CB, and us finding a new secondary piece.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I just think there are tons, absolutely tons, of other players to complain about other than Royce.

To be fair to you that was how the convo started (I didn’t complain FTR lol) - which is a very fair point.  It just morphed into a “do we draft RB next year (yes)” and “how early” convo.   The original premise above, there’s no dispute.  

Edited by Broncofan

Candidly, I'm not sure they extend Simmons, or, if they do, but let Harris walk, I could see Jackson sliding back to CB, and us finding a new secondary piece.

I think Jackson is best used as a starting S that can be moved all over. Honestly, I don't have much issue w/ a Simmons / Jackson pairing moving forward. They are closer to average than great, but they are not poor either. If Simmons can be resigned cheap, sign him, I would love to have at least one unit locked up long term moving forward. Safety market is hard to gauge, but going off last offseason I think a fair deal for Simmons is somewhere between Tashaun Gipson (7.5M AV) and Patrick Chung (3.9M AV). So 5M would be my hope.

Does anyone think Theo Riddick was kept in case a crazy trade offer was made for Phillip Lindsay? I know the Colorado ties, I know the Tasmanian devil persona. What if a contender (Atlanta) offered you 2 second round picks minimum. 2020 loaded rb class. What would it take?

Guy is on a very reasonable rookie deal. I know it's blasphemy to say that after how big of a supporter I was of him as a udfa.

I just know the guy has improved as a pass catcher and can't figure out why they kept Theo Riddick. Unless it's just to keep Lindsay fresh for long term.

35 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

They kept Riddick because Elway is delusional and thinks we are a playoff team.

90% you're probably right.  I guess after the selections of Lock and Fant there's 10% of me that think you might be wrong. 

That 10% of me thinks once Mr. B passed Elway made a vowel to himself to leave this organization in better shape than what he received it in minus ownership. 

Edited by thebestever6