What do we go in the 2020 draft?

Wolzen

4 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

So, lots of folks were pumping Lock as our QBOTF at draft time and were upset when we didn't pick him at 10. Does the fact that he slid down a round eliminate him from being our QBOTF?

I've seen nothing so far to tell if he is or isn't but to bail on him this early so we can draft another QBOTF with our 1st pick next year seems a bit absurd.

It's not like college QB's come with guarantees.

I would have NEVER taken Lock in the first round but you have to see this through.

There is no rush. Who knows how long this mess will take to clean up? We don't need to get "the guy" on any specific timeline. Just get great football players until then. Couldn't agree more. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AKRNA said:

So, lots of folks were pumping Lock as our QBOTF at draft time and were upset when we didn't pick him at 10. Does the fact that he slid down a round eliminate him from being our QBOTF?

I've seen nothing so far to tell if he is or isn't but to bail on him this early so we can draft another QBOTF with our 1st pick next year seems a bit absurd.

My perfect world I'm not bailing on Lock, but I'm hedging my bets risking a revolt trading Miller lite 40 if it nets me a 2021 FRP minimally.

If we don't need to use it then more assets to build. 

I personally don't think Lock is any good, and never have. I am entering this conversation with an arrogant reliance on my evaluation of him and assume he doesn't do nearly enough in his inevitable starts to push off drafting a QB R1.

The reality is Elway and management are going to be in crisis mode once Lock proves to not be the answer. The fanbase is sick and tired of having a big platter of nothing at the QB position. Its time to draft one every year top 50 until something hits.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I would have NEVER taken Lock in the first round but you have to see this through.

There is no rush. Who knows how long this mess will take to clean up? We don't need to get "the guy" on any specific timeline. Just get great football players until then. Couldn't agree more. 

That'd be my approach.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Thomas on tape looks like a foundational LT.  He was awesome last week, pancaked some serious competition on the ND side.   His skills profile, film and track record of success at a young age against SEC / FBS competition all are huge green flags.  I'm a big fan of that pick.   Hurts is intriguing, but I would be shocked if Elway zeroes on him.   He likes his guys big, strong-armed, classic-style, and a little on the dumb side (kidding...sorta).

Hurts has skills, but he's 6'1, 215...I think it's a totally outdated concept, but there's nothing Elway's shown so far that says he's come off that concept.

Simmons being a tweener means I doubt he goes in top 20 picks, but yes, intriguing later in Rd1 / early Rd2.

Lavishka I defer to you guys as you see him more, but agree in this draft class, you hit WR with one of your Day 1-2 picks.  You can find a Godwin/Golladay type star-in-making in this class.  

IMO Laviska has the highest ceiling of any receiver in this draft class, Jeudy included. He's that electric in space and with the ball in his hands. The NFL is changing and slowly moving away from traditional route tree concepts and adapting a lot more of the air raid style of throws. Yes, being able to run dig routes and comebacks is essential, but with how athletic athletes are on the defensive side of the ball being able to run concepts that get the ball quickly to players in space is a must.

You can send him on a go route and he runs by people, he can run in-breaking routes and comebacks, get him the ball on screens and he's impossible to tackle. You can line him up in the backfield and hand him the ball a la Cordarrelle Patterson, or send him on routes out of the backfield. 

Big knock I have on him is he hasn't been able to stay healthy. Had toe problems last year, and hurt his shoulder vs ASU last week. If he can stay healthy, I'd expect him to measure just under 6'2", around 220lbs and run around a 4.4 40, though I've heard he's in the 4.35 range. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I personally don't think Lock is any good, and never have

I'm torn on him think it was great value at 42. Worth a longg audition

I just wanna know if you were wearing Elways gm hat would you of traded 10, a 2020 first, 2019 2nd, 2020 2nd to get your guy if that's what it took to get Tampa bay to settle on Devin Bush and to get your guy Daniel Jones?

Jets traded 6th and 3 seconds to move up for Darnold to go from 6th to 3.

Bills offer to go from 12 to 5 was two first two seconds for Allen. 

Edited by thebestever6

I just wanna know if you were wearing Elways gm hat would you of traded 10, a 2020 first, 2019 2nd, 2020 2nd to get your guy if that's what it took to get Tampa bay to settle on Devin Bush and to get your guy Daniel Jones?

I wouldn't have the balls to do that in real life, but that's why I am not a GM.

I do have little doubt that Daniel Jones will bring his franchise more success than the combined contributions of whomever we draft with the four picks you outlined, that's something I am confident in saying.

You can send him on a go route and he runs by people, he can run in-breaking routes and comebacks, get him the ball on screens and he's impossible to tackle. You can line him up in the backfield and hand him the ball a la Cordarrelle Patterson, or send him on routes out of the backfield. 

He is a bit like a giant Percy Harvin, but with a completely different attitude and work ethic. Unfortunately, a bad trait he does share with Percy is a penchant for nagging injuries.

23 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I wouldn't have the balls to do that in real life, but that's why I am not a GM.

I do have little doubt that Daniel Jones will bring his franchise more success than the combined contributions of whomever we draft with the four picks you outlined, that's something I am confident in saying

True, to Elways credit he did  turn pick 10 into pick 20, 52, and a 2020 3rd.

So the answer isn't as simple as those 4 picks that's why I can't commit to that decision and don't have the balls like you lol.

If Elway ripped the bandaid off for 2020+ asap I'd buy into all of this. If he doesn't than I'd firmly agree with you. 

Those 4 picks can turn into 8 good ones if he plays the hand dealt.

Edited by thebestever6

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Guys like Shenault never seem to stay healthy. They take the running back beating at WR and their athleticism peaks early.

Haven't watched him.Can he play the slot at all ? Learn to adapt to the pro game route tree coverages? 

Harvin with the migraines, injuries, lack of route tree hurt him.

A guy like an edelman would be huge in this offense paired with Fant and Lindsay.  

This team could use so much that going legitimate BPA is what needs to be done.  However, if Lock shows he’s the future and even if he doesn’t with how strong this OL class is I would love Thomas/Wirfs round 1 and the best OL early round 2.  Really solidify the OL for whoever the QB of the future is.  Somewhat like what the Colts tried to do for Luck when they drafted Nelson and Braden Smith.  

I am not a complete fan of that approach as elite QBs can cover OL play, but if you want a young QB to really have a chance at success you have to keep them from getting their heads beat in and have an OL that can keep the running game going. 

Lock may be the answer and it’d be perfect if he was, but at this point he isn’t a cerebral QB, if he’s pressured all the time early he’ll almost assuredly bust for Denver.  

As of now Andrew Thomas is who I want.  I think he’s a lock to be a bookend LT.  Wirfs is a CRAZY athlete though.  His size/speed/athleticism/power are off the charts.  From the little I’ve seen, though, he seems like an OG, which doesn’t mean he isn’t worth a top 10 pick.  I just get a Brandon Scherff vibe when I’ve watched him.  Either way, I don’t think you’re going to go wrong.

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

As of now Andrew Thomas is who I want.  I think he’s a lock to be a bookend LT.  Wirfs is a CRAZY athlete though.  His size/speed/athleticism/power are off the charts.  From the little I’ve seen, though, he seems like an OG, which doesn’t mean he isn’t worth a top 10 pick.  I just get a Brandon Scherff vibe when I’ve watched him.  Either way, I don’t think you’re going to go wrong.

Thomas is one of those guys who checks all the key boxes:

1.  Success at early age (which actually isn't necessary as an ugly if it's not there, because growth spurts matter / etc. - but when it's there - holy h*ll, that's a strong sign.  2-year starter already.  For freaking GEORGIA.

2.  LT starter skill set - check.  Agility, length, bend.   Power but also great handwork.  And he sets a nice anchor, you don't see him get moved once he plants.

3.  Top-level competition - check.

The crazy part is some mocks have him going 1.1 even in what's going to shape up to be a QB-needy draft with all the vets going down, and the spectre of no-QB.  That's how good he looks.  A lot can change between now and Draft Day, but the 2-year SEC success, tape, and that skill set - man, I'd drool to have him on our left side and James on the right, and Risner at LG.   I bet we'd see McGovern's pass pro play up with Munchak's tutelage and some real clay to work with.  

Edited by Broncofan

3 hours ago, germ-x said:

This team could use so much that going legitimate BPA is what needs to be done.  However, if Lock shows he’s the future and even if he doesn’t with how strong this OL class is I would love Thomas/Wirfs round 1 and the best OL early round 2.  Really solidify the OL for whoever the QB of the future is.  Somewhat like what the Colts tried to do for Luck when they drafted Nelson and Braden Smith.  

I am not a complete fan of that approach as elite QBs can cover OL play, but if you want a young QB to really have a chance at success you have to keep them from getting their heads beat in and have an OL that can keep the running game going. 

Lock may be the answer and it’d be perfect if he was, but at this point he isn’t a cerebral QB, if he’s pressured all the time early he’ll almost assuredly bust for Denver.  

Well presented post. Two top additions to the OL would do wonders for this team I'd love to see it.

Andrew Thomas is easily my #1 target. There hasn't been a clean, sure-thing franchise LT in quite a few drafts, he looks like a good bet and we'd turn one of the biggest weaknesses of the team into one of the biggest strengths. 

I think Chase Young is the best player in the draft, but Thomas is good enough to justify passing on Young. I'm not sure we'll be in range to get either to be honest. 

Edited by BroncoBruin