What do we go in the 2020 draft?

Wolzen

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Thomas is one of those guys who checks all the key boxes:

1.  Success at early age (which actually isn't necessary as an ugly if it's not there, because growth spurts matter / etc. - but when it's there - holy h*ll, that's a strong sign.  2-year starter already.  For freaking GEORGIA.

2.  LT starter skill set - check.  Agility, length, bend.   Power but also great handwork.  And he sets a nice anchor, you don't see him get moved once he plants.

3.  Top-level competition - check.

The crazy part is some mocks have him going 1.1 even in what's going to shape up to be a QB-needy draft with all the vets going down, and the spectre of no-QB.  That's how good he looks.  A lot can change between now and Draft Day, but the 2-year SEC success, tape, and that skill set - man, I'd drool to have him on our left side and James on the right, and Risner at LG.   I bet we'd see McGovern's pass pro play up with Munchak's tutelage and some real clay to work with.  

And use one of their three day 2 picks on a guard because there should be some good ones available. I think they can get this offensive line right next year if they make the commitment. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

And use one of their three day 2 picks on a guard because there should be some good ones available. I think they can get this offensive line right next year if they make the commitment. 

Yeah, next year is an O-dominant draft - 3-4 Rd1 T's, a lot of interior OL on Day 2, and a plethora of WR & RB talent.  It's so good we could probably hit RB Rd 4+ and get an upgrade on Freeman (nothing against Lindsay, he's a boss, but you can draft RB every 2nd year Day 3+ and find value IMO, Day 2 if you're in dire need - we're not).  

I've always had the concerns on Lock, so I share @BroncosFan2010's concern that he won't work out. But I also agree you have to let him show he can't do it.  Honestly, I hope he plays 6+ games and shows us either a much-better-than-anticipated growth curve that gives real hope - or a flat one.   Either way, QB's, T's, G's, WR's.  It's the year to hit O.    We don't even need to force picks to find need so we can really hit BPA and get the best of both worlds.

Edited by Broncofan

Is Thomas a Jonathan Ogden type of prospect? 

With the lack of drafting an inside linebacker, drafting of a raw qb, Rookie te in the first round.

3 thoughts pop in my head

1) this is the start of a 2 to 3 year process. 6 guys drafted the lack of talent on the team they want to focus on the development of Lock, Fant. 

2) they're inadvertently not trying to win asap for someone in 2020.

3) they're inadvertently not trying to win and are going to try to stack picks next year in an offensive loaded draft. Offensive lineman are hard to find develop we have the coach.

Edited by thebestever6

Yeah, next year is an O-dominant draft - 3-4 Rd1 T's, a lot of interior OL on Day 2, and a plethora of WR & RB talent.  It's so good we could probably hit RB Rd 4+ and get an upgrade on Freeman (nothing against Lindsay, he's a boss, but you can draft RB every 2nd year Day 3+ and find value IMO, Day 2 if you're in dire need - we're not).  

I suppose a RB could be BPA, but I am totally fine with Freeman. He is on pace for over 900 yards on the ground, and his 4.8ypc is really good. I think he is getting overlooked a bit because the team just sorta sucks but in regards to player improvement, Royce has been one of the bigger 'jumps' this season.

Also worth noting all last season, in 13 games, he had 14 catches on 20 targets for 72 yards. So far this year he is at 13 targets and 10 receptions over 3 games for 63 yards. That's a huge improvement and shows his progress in the passing game, albeit he likely never is more than a dump off guy in that regard.

I am also all aboard the Thomas Train. Such a surefire OT talent has not come out since Trent Williams IMO. Wanted to say Tyron Smith, but he was much more athletic ball of clay than technically sound as a draft pick.

Elway has absolutely sucked at acquiring explosive pass catchers - one of them would be really nice. Maybe we could just steal the Chiefs draft board, seeing as they manage to draft them easy enough?

Honestly, I just want us to draft really good players. Boring, I know. But this team is still so short in so many areas, I really don't see how we can get choosy as to which position we'd like to go.

QB
LT
ILB (x2)
CB (x2)
DE (x2)
WR (x2)
S

To be honest, outside of RB, LG, RT, OLB (solely for money invested on the last 2) is there a single position we could really moan at drafting in the 1st round because we're set there? Maybe Center but McGovern is a UFA.

We really, really, really need our 2018 draft to stand up before the end of the year and prove they are good enough. The likes of Freeman, Jewell, Yiadom, Hamilton, Fumagalli and Bierria are trending downwards so far this year in my eyes and that is not good, given the 2017 draft that came before it.

10 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

Shouldn't we be tanking next year (for a can't miss stud QB) - I'm confused why we're trying to keep pace with the Dolphins for 2020.

Lock essentially is our Rosen imo. We're going to trot him out for 7 games if he shows progress than 2020 is the keys year. If he's bad in 2021 you'll have a decent draft pick regardless. 

I think we should be putting some ammo in 2021 just in case.

Edited by thebestever6

The likes of Freeman, Jewell, Yiadom, Hamilton, Fumagalli and Bierria are trending downwards so far this year in my eyes and that is not good, given the 2017 draft that came before it.

Again, I am very confused why Freeman is getting grouped in this category. He is playing really good football. \

I agree with the others.

I loved Jewell but he is too physical limited and his instincts are nowhere near good enough to make up for that.

Yiadom was always a project and so far hasn't looked like anything more than a CB4/5 developmental guy, while being relied on to play CB2/3.

Fumagalli and Hamilton were always JAG to me. Players like them are dime-a-dozen.

Bierria is a small LB who cant cover. That's sorta useless.

Never liked our 2018 draft much outside Sutton, Josey and Freeman (Albeit IMO he was drafted a bit early). I swung and missed on Jewell, thought he had instincts and side range to make up for his timed speed issues. Not working so far, at least in this scheme. He is racking up empty tackles at least lol

Edited by BroncosFan2010

23 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Again, I am very confused why Freeman is getting grouped in this category. He is playing really good football. \

I love Freeman; but it's week 4 and he already has a banged up shoulder. I think he has improved greatly.  

The way he runs, and Lindsay and his size I'd like another runningback in here and letting Booker walk is wise.

Keep everyone fresh so when a run is to be made you have the horses in the future. 

Edited by thebestever6

IMO Freeman has been the superior runner this year to Lindsay. Lindsay is a beast, don't get me wrong, love him, his game, his versatility and everything about the man, but I think Freeman is a better pure runner. He's had I believe, two touchdowns called back due to holding penalties this season.

When it's all said and done, I don't think we're within striking range of Andrew Thomas, and think he ends up first overall to Miami who will wait until 2021 to fix their QB issues, and with two potential top 10 picks they'll have the freedom to address both sides of the trenches. After that, if we're in the 5-7 range, I think trading back for an OL would provide value instead of reaching. If we stay in that 5-7 range, I think we go BPA as Elway has consistently done.

3 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I suppose a RB could be BPA, but I am totally fine with Freeman. He is on pace for over 900 yards on the ground, and his 4.8ypc is really good. I think he is getting overlooked a bit because the team just sorta sucks but in regards to player improvement, Royce has been one of the bigger 'jumps' this season.

Also worth noting all last season, in 13 games, he had 14 catches on 20 targets for 72 yards. So far this year he is at 13 targets and 10 receptions over 3 games for 63 yards. That's a huge improvement and shows his progress in the passing game, albeit he likely never is more than a dump off guy in that regard.

I am also all aboard the Thomas Train. Such a surefire OT talent has not come out since Trent Williams IMO. Wanted to say Tyron Smith, but he was much more athletic ball of clay than technically sound as a draft pick.

I have nothing against Freeman’s play but consider this: 

1.  Freeman’s injuries are a reflection of the style of play and college mileage he’s put up.  This is not the type of RB that plays a long time at peak efficiency in the NFL.   Bright lights that burn out quickly. 

2.  He will be with us for 2020-21 - and then he’s a UFA.   He’s not an elite or special talent.  Those aren’t worth getting extended to 2nd contracts.   

3.   The 2020 RB class is really deep (so are  WR and trenches - a really great year to hit O).   That means you can draft a RB Rd 3-4 and likely get as good or better talent that’s ready for a natural succession for 2021+.  

I’m of the mind teams should draft a RB at least every other year - the value is so great with rookie contracts and the position so disposable.  Lindsay is the RB we may consider to stay longer because his skill set is so unique (but even then it would be hard to justify 10M AAV on RB right now unless you are CMC-Kamara-Zeke level great, and it comes with great risk - Gurley / Bell).   But otherwise we should think about cycling our RB pool - it’s so cheap to do, which is why it’s a feasible model.  

None of the above is a knock against Freeman - but his position and play style / non-elite skill set, teams should view  RB’s like him as rookie-deal only assets and plan accordingly.   Because the 2020 RB class is deep, it offers the chance to cycle our depth with even more value (Rd 3-4 major bargains could be had for guys who go top 50 in other years).   I am thinking there and not our early picks, FWIW. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Guys like Shenault never seem to stay healthy. They take the running back beating at WR and their athleticism peaks early.

I don't think we've seen a player with Shenault's ability to create mismatches in the NFL. I think he compares to a combination of players such as Anquan Boldin, Cordarrelle Patterson, and even Percy Harvin. His inability to stay healthy in college is a HUGE concern but he has that much UPSIDE. 

We're talking about a player that can run a sub 4.4 40, has size at 6'2", and will weight in the 215-225 range. You just don't see that type of elite level size and speed, with ability to play any receiver position, in the wildcat, and even RB in similar situations. Previous players that have been able to do that don't have near the physical gifts that Shenault does. Again, the injuries are a concern, but the upside is absolutely elite. 

• Like 1