What do we go in the 2020 draft?

Wolzen

20 hours ago, germ-x said:

Also just an update on Wirfs, he spent the past 3 seasons (1st true freshman to ever start at the OT for Kirk Ferentz) at RT, but has transitioned to LT for this season....where he’s been absolutely dominant in both the run game and pass pro.

He moved cause Alaric Jackson got injured for a few weeks, who's a very good tackle as well. No idea why we've never drafted any Iowa OL apart from Robert Gallery almost every single one has been if nothing else a solid starter.

19 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

Considering where will be picking in 2020 draft, we can truly take BPA for offense or defense since this team is so talent deficient. 

For sure.  I’d love to address OL and really solidify that unit for the future and a young QB, but with all the needs for this team they really can’t go wrong drafting any position.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, germ-x said:

but with all the needs for this team they really can’t go wrong drafting any position.

This is verbatim word for word what was said in 2011 lol. 

I'll take another Von Miller franchise impacting player. A year of Lock and in 2021 a shot at Lawrence or Fields if he bottoms out.

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

In a full rebuild, the order you get the pieces doesn't necessarily matter but I do think it's to everyone's benefit that you get the OL fixed before you bring the young QB in. 

Totally agree. Elway seems too fixated on edge players when he should be looking at overall talent level.

Not to belabor a point, but when Chubb was drafted we passed over a generational talent in Nelson. Not to pick on Chubb, he's a good ballplayer. Nelson however is already considered the best IOL in the game. Can you imagine the difference if we'd drafted the best player in the draft, Nelson instead of Chubb.

An IOL of Risner, McGovern and Nelson would be absolutely filthy. We'd have kept Barrett who's not a bad OLB and be a much better team today.

Anyway, point being if a generational talent is there you take him.  The notion that IOL isn't an "impact" position is incredibly flawed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Totally agree. Elway seems too fixated on edge players when he should be looking at overall talent level.

Not to belabor a point, but when Chubb was drafted we passed over a generational talent in Nelson. Not to pick on Chubb, he's a good ballplayer. Nelson however is already considered the best IOL in the game. Can you imagine the difference if we'd drafted the best player in the draft, Nelson instead of Chubb.

An IOL of Risner, McGovern and Nelson would be absolutely filthy. We'd have kept Barrett who's not a bad OLB and be a much better team today.

Anyway, point being if a generational talent is there you take him.  The notion that IOL isn't an "impact" position is incredibly flawed.

I thought Barkley, Nelson and Chubb were the three best players in the draft and would have been happy with any of the three. In hindsight, it does look like the opportunity cost of passing on Nelson was the highest. 

Roquan Smith should be in the conversation too, he's going to be an elite LB for a decade if he stays healthy. I know Elway thinks linebackers grow on trees, but that's BS. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

IMO the game has passed Elway by - he's stuck in one mentality and it's broken.

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

In a full rebuild, the order you get the pieces doesn't necessarily matter but I do think it's to everyone's benefit that you get the OL fixed before you bring the young QB in. 

Do we cut any vets like Leary to bring up someone from the practice squad to give them a look?

At some point?

Edited by thebestever6

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Do we cut any vets like Leary to bring up someone from the practice squad to give them a look?

At some point?

Do you mean in-season? One thing to trade guys for value, tough to cut respected veterans in the middle of the season. That's just tanking with no justification. If you mean after the season, he has a contract option and I'd say there's 0% chance they pick it up. 

He probably doesn't make it through the season with the chronic knee anyway. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

5 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

He probably doesn't make it through the season with the chronic knee anyway. 

I agree but if we give Lock a shot maybe one of the three lineman on the practice squad earn a try out as well. If Leary isn't in future plans I'd like to see where we are at.

4 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I agree but if we give Lock a shot maybe one of the three lineman on the practice squad earn a try out as well. If Leary isn't in future plans I'd like to see where we are at.

I personally would not mess with the O-line and start experimenting, especially if you need to evaluate the QB playing behind them, which is more critical than anything that happens this year. 

56 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I personally would not mess with the O-line and start experimenting, especially if you need to evaluate the QB playing behind them, which is more critical than anything that happens this year. 

Solid opinion, I have that thought process about Juwan James returning to give Lock an audition. Leary, I just feel like he replacable I guess his chronic knee will let us know and chronic back lol.

Just got done watching some of Tristan Wirfs and I take back my Brandon Scherff comparison.  Based off of what I had read (and have read him compared to Scherff) it made it seem that he was an exceptional athlete with rare power, but who lacked the feet/slide to be a great OT.

Wirfs to me appears to slide with ease for a big player.  Once he gets his hands on its game over.  Forget outright beating him with power as a rusher, he’s 320+ pounds with off the charts strength (for many even highly drafted OTs adding strength is a requirement, that won’t be a concern for Wirfs who will be a 21 year old rookie). In the run game he looks exactly like Scherff coming out, absolutely dominant and basically doesn’t lose a run blocking assignment.

I need to watch Andrew Thomas, but Wirfs has be be one of the freakiest physical specimens along the OL in awhile.

I think of Denver goes OL in the top 10 you just turn to Munchak (if not why hire him) and say who do you want, Thomas or Wirfs?

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

You play your best OL always. You owe it to the team and especially the QB. If Leary gets injured or they think Schlottman gives them a better chance then replace Leary. Not until.