What do we go in the 2020 draft?

Wolzen

1 minute ago, germ-x said:

Just got done watching some of Tristan Wirfs and I take back my Brandon Scherff comparison.  Based off of what I had read (and have read him compared to Scherff) it made it seem that he was an exceptional athlete with rare power, but who lacked the feet/slide to be a great OT.

Wirfs to me appears to slide with ease for a big player.  Once he gets his hands on its game over.  Forget outright beating him with power as a rusher, he’s 320+ pounds with off the charts strength (for many even highly drafted OTs adding strength is a requirement, that won’t be a concern for Wirfs who will be a 21 year old rookie). In the run game he looks exactly like Scherff coming out, absolutely dominant and basically doesn’t lose a run blocking assignment.

I need to watch Andrew Thomas, but Wirfs has be be one of the freakiest physical specimens along the OL in awhile.

I think of Denver goes OL in the top 10 you just turn to Munchak (if not why hire him) and say who do you want, Thomas or Wirfs?

I love the way you're thinking.

4 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

You play your best OL always. You owe it to the team and especially the QB. If Leary gets injured or they think Schlottman gives them a better chance then replace Leary. Not until.

That's really the crux of my question do you see Leary's skill eroding to the point of playing Schlottman?

3 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

That's really the crux of my question do you see Leary's skill eroding to the point of playing Schlottman?

I don't watch 'em enough lately to make that call bud. I know teams are starting to work our A gaps, especially on the right side. That speaks poorly of performance both at C and RG.

I'd agree with my dad on his assessment of both spots. I don't think McGovern has the skills and ability to be a starting center in the NFL. Just an opinion based on what I've seen and my dads opinion.  I feel the same about Leary at RG. Schlottman backs up both spots but is a natural center. Given Learys injury history we'll see Schlottman at some point this year. We'll find out if he can play then.

@BroncoBruin is right on the money though. You don't shuffle OL personnel like that idiot did 2 years ago. OL is all about cohesion, communication, knowing the guy next to you.

We need to maintain that. We've got a great OL coach in Munchak and Kupers a great assistant. We may lose Munchak but Kup will step in and we won't miss a beat.

I'm gettin' a bit wordy I know, but almost done.

Keep watching the left side of the OL. Risner was put at LG for a reason and Bolles is starting to benefit. I'm still of the opinion that by the end of the year that's a pair we won't want to separate.

If/When Schlottman spells Leary that's also something to watch. Schlottman does have the skills, hand and overall quickness and smarts to be a good center. If he can man the right side a move to center next year is a no brainer. McGovern to me is a great guy to have as an IOL backup but shouldn't be starting at any position.

I'll echo @germ-x's sentiment though. If there's a great OL talent available when we draft, take him! Defenses are so varied, strong and fast that elite OL talent IMO is a key to success. As an offense you're facing 4/3's, 3/4's, different schemes, different attacks. One week an OT will look at a Von Miller, the next a 320lb quick DE. Similar on the IOL.

You need really talented guys to face that and succeed. We're pretty "cupboard bare" when it comes to trenches guys on both sides of the LOS. If you don't win the battle at the LOS it makes little difference who your QB is. He won't succeed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

If, or when, Miami takes a QB #1, I would love to deal a R3 for Josh Rosen. I think his value will depreciate year over year and w/ Miami clearly going in another direction w/ a QB #1. I still believe he can be a really good QB in the right situation.

If Lock's shown he's not the guy, I can definitely get behind that.    Rosen's actually played very well the first 2 games in MIA - and then the O has collapsed (not him, but the whole O) in the 2H - which suggests that besides the talent deficiency (duh), the coaches are doing zero half-time adjustments.    @DAL they went in down 10-6 and only because of a Kenyan Drake 1st-down fumble at the 5 yard line on 1st and goal, and against LAC they were down 17-10, but only because the K missed 2 FG's.   It's actually surprising that he's shown anything - Drake, Devante Parker (if you want a semi-cheap WR to target next year in FA) and Preston Williams are literally the only 3 guys I think would crack a starting job on most teams (and the WR's not usually as the 1, either).   Their TE, their other RB (Ballage), and the OL is a total joke. 

Side note - Ballage deserves special mention - how they are time-sharing him is beyond mind-boggling - he's literally perhaps the worst-skilled RB I've ever seen get given significant touches... nothing says you're tanking than using him at all, witness:

In case you think it's a fluke....

Obv the big risk is that Rosen gets broken sometime between now and the next 12 games.   He literally played on the all-time worst pass-blocking OL by DVOA last year - but MIA 2019 is looking to shatter that record.   That he's hung in there and keeps slinging it, well, it shows the talent he had in college.   The risk is still there, though - MIA's OL is even worse than ARI 2018.  And as we are witnessing with ARI 2019, who actually *upgraded* the OL in 2 spots (getting Justin Pugh back and getting JR Sweezy - who while meh on most teams, is a huge step up on last year's debacle).  And yet we're still seeing 8+ sack games with Kyler Murray.  Shows how bad the situation was last year.   Still, that can take a toll.  But, on the other hand, anything 3rd on back....also allows us to hit 2021+ without much prejudice, either.  

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, iLikeDefense said:

I liked Rosen coming out but he’s going to be damaged goods by the end of the season. I’d take a flier using a 6/7th rd pick.

Bro our oline would look great next offseason compared to Miami's now. You ever see shawshank redemption when Andy Dufresne escapes through the storm pipe?

That's Josh Rosen next year if he survives this year behind that oline 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I'd trade a 4th. 

I think 4th is Market value and if Miami says we'll just keep him as a backup. I would do a conditional 4th that could become a 3rd if reasonable/challenging starter escalators are meant.

Edited by thebestever6

1 hour ago, iLikeDefense said:

I liked Rosen coming out but he’s going to be damaged goods by the end of the season. I’d take a flier using a 6/7th rd pick.

If he plays as well as the first 2 games on tape, zero chance.  If he gets hurt then diff story but depends on the injury.  

He won’t get more than a 3rd from a bad team unless he just lights it up and the likelihood of that seems like < 10 percent with that OL and supporting cast.  But don’t discount a team like LAC or NE looking to get their successor.   That alone keeps the price higher - esp when the cheap rookie deal years left (and the 5th year option + tag options are factored in).  

Edited by Broncofan

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

If he plays as well as the first 2 games on tape, zero chance.  If he gets hurt then diff story but depends on the injury.  

He won’t get more than a 3rd from a bad team unless he just lights it up and the likelihood of that seems like < 10 percent with that OL and supporting cast.  But don’t discount a team like LAC or NE looking to get their successor.   That alone keeps the price higher - esp when the cheap rookie deal years left (and the 5th year option + tag options are factored in).  

Didn’t consider LAC and NE, could see them take a flier for sure. I just think he’s not going to make it this season, he gets lit up once a game.

8 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

What about the Burrow kid from LSU?  My family who are from LA, are gushing over him and his arm and they like his accuracy.  

I see him ranked as the 4th qb right now. I could see Gruden falling in love with him. Haven't watched enough of him to know one way or the other.