Is Goff actually good?

Bolts223

2 hours ago, Riftty said:

Is Carson Wentz actually good? Is Kirk Cousins actually good? Is Baker Mayfield actually good? Is Dak actually good? 

I could go all day. Goff is 3-0 after a Superbowl loss. 

People still want to distinguish "good" quarterbacks from "system" quarterbacks, instead of acknowledge that there can be good system quarterbacks. Tom Brady and BB is the perfect example of a system quarterback who has managed that system to perfection and it is very hard to beat. Goff and McVay could have similar succes, although Goff still would carry the "he is only good because of McVay" label. 

28 minutes ago, Danand said:

People still want to distinguish "good" quarterbacks from "system" quarterbacks, instead of acknowledge that there can be good system quarterbacks. Tom Brady and BB is the perfect example of a system quarterback who has managed that system to perfection and it is very hard to beat. Goff and McVay could have similar succes, although Goff still would carry the "he is only good because of McVay" label. 

Because Goff was so bad as a rookie, and turned it around as soon as McVay was coach, the natural lazy analysis is that Goff can't perform with anyone else. Sadly, that's probably going to be a narrative that sticks around. 

Edited by PapaShogun

4 hours ago, Riftty said:

Is Carson Wentz actually good? Is Kirk Cousins actually good? Is Baker Mayfield actually good? Is Dak actually good? 

I could go all day. Goff is 3-0 after a Superbowl loss. 

Hard no.

Also, shouldn't this just be a post in the Wk 3 Overreactions Thread?

I mean, Drew Brees' first 2 full seasons as a starter were a joke compared to Goff's.

Tom Brady's first 3, Matt Ryan's first 3-4. 

Goff has been playing, overall, at an Aaron Rodgers-esque level (statistically) since he was pre-labeled a bust after his rookie season. Is he Rodgers? No, probably not. 

But only 2 years removed from being a "bust" and one of the "worst picks ever", and only 2 years into McVay's system, anyone saying he's "no Brees, no Brady, no Ryan, no Rivers" is forgetting that it took all of these guys several years and scheme changes to get really really good. Rodgers is about the only one of the top QB's in recent memory (perhaps Wilson too) who came out of the gate red hot as a starter. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

Goff is a good QB. He's played 37 games since his rookie year and he's won 30 of them. I don't think you can achieve that if you're a bad or even average quarterback. He's had a poor start to the season in relation to his own standards, but he still managed to win on the road against one of the media's heavily picked favourites for a deep run into the play-offs. He had to do it with an below par running game too. 

I think when a QB like Rodgers has a down stretch it’s different because he’s made so many amazing plays.  I haven’t seen that wow factor from Goff even when his numbers were better.

Even Brady was a bit that way for awhile early on because he didn’t have that eye-popping dynamic in his game.  

4 so so games in a row shouldn’t negate 2 years of good production.

8 minutes ago, blizofoz45 said:

I think when a QB like Rodgers has a down stretch it’s different because he’s made so many amazing plays.  I haven’t seen that wow factor from Goff even when his numbers were better.

Even Brady was a bit that way for awhile early on because he didn’t have that eye-popping dynamic in his game.  

4 so so games in a row shouldn’t negate 2 years of good production.

Know your surroundings though man. 

4 games negates 2 years of production and 1 game made Lamar Jackson a bonafide Hall of Famer. 

It just works like that around here sometimes.

• Like 1