Is Goff actually good?

Bolts223

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Where did this narrative come from? Were we watching the same game?

Highlights: https://youtu.be/cFmSHjhLMFw?t=283

@ 4:43 mark Vernon is freely barrelling down on him, he stands in the pocket and delivers the ball on 2nd and 5.

@ 5:01 mark Garrett is in his face and he hits Kupp for a TD on 3rd and goal.

@6:25 he side steps the rush, resets and hits his receiver for a first.

@8:26 he's facing an 7 man blitz and cooly hits, granted a wide open, Kupp for the TD on 3rd and goal again. 

These aren't the highlights of a QB who can't handle pressure. If you want that, watch Bengals games.

It comes from the Bears game and the Superbowl. But what we have to realise is that they are two awesome secondaries, so it muddies the picture.

5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Hard no.

Also, shouldn't this just be a post in the Wk 3 Overreactions Thread?

I mean, Drew Brees' first 2 full seasons as a starter were a joke compared to Goff's.

Tom Brady's first 3, Matt Ryan's first 3-4. 

Goff has been playing, overall, at an Aaron Rodgers-esque level (statistically) since he was pre-labeled a bust after his rookie season. Is he Rodgers? No, probably not. 

But only 2 years removed from being a "bust" and one of the "worst picks ever", and only 2 years into McVay's system, anyone saying he's "no Brees, no Brady, no Ryan, no Rivers" is forgetting that it took all of these guys several years and scheme changes to get really really good. Rodgers is about the only one of the top QB's in recent memory (perhaps Wilson too) who came out of the gate red hot as a starter. 

Oh look, somebody that doesn’t understand the effect the rule changes had in 2004.

So are Rams fans done saying he will be better than Mahomes? 

He was indeed terrific for a good part of last season but he was never as good as Mahomes. 

I have not seen him play this season but I've always been in the Wentz camp over Goff, except Wentz might be more injury prone.

I see Goff as a top 10 QB. Maybe not an absolute clear top 10 QB but yeah that's where I have him.

Edited by Buckweath

2 minutes ago, Buckweath said:

He was never in the same stratosphere. But nobody really is. Mahomes is in a league of his own. Peak Rodgers was the last quarterback to play at that level. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Buckweath said:

He was indeed terrific for a good part of last season but he was never as good as Mahomes. 

I have not seen him play this season but I've always been in the Wentz camp over Goff, except Wentz might be more injury prone.

I see Goff as a top 10 QB. Maybe not an absolute clear top 10 QB but yeah that's where I have him.

No one said this wtf lol. Oh well guess another playoff exit is what y’all need. 

1 minute ago, Gmen said:

He was never in the same stratosphere. But nobody really is. Mahomes is in a league of his own. Peak Rodgers was the last quarterback to play at that level. 

Not even close for me. It was Deshauns rookie year even though it was a small sample. The best QB I’ve ever seen play was Manning. But Mahomes just makes it look easy out there. 

47 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

It comes from the Bears game and the Superbowl. But what we have to realise is that they are two awesome secondaries, so it muddies the picture.

In all honesty, and I'm not trying to make excuses here - but the Bears game is a mulligan for me.

Not to discredit the Bears, as they made it happen - they were an elite defense last year.

But it was a cold primetime game and the 2nd straight road game for the Rams where they were at Detroit the week prior, and with the Bears being a good team - in reality, the Bears and Rams was nearly identical to the Saints and Cowboys. And ironically, the Saints offense wasn't really ever the same after that game either. Some games are schedule losses when you realize how good a team is and the circumstances surrounding it - I'd put both the Bears and Cowboys game for the Saints last year into that category.

The Eagles game was a bigger red flag - the injuries the Eagles had, coupled with coming back home after that disappointing loss - that was more alarming. Then the Super Bowl, which was even worse than the Bears game when you consider that it was a neutral field.

48 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

No one said this wtf lol. Oh well guess another playoff exit is what y’all need. 

Really? I guess you were not around here last year.

Go look up that thread about Goff last year.

And not sure about that playoff exit.

• Like 1