Who’s the Problem Freddie, having Monken, or Baker

brownie man

Who’s the Problem?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who’s the biggest part of the problem?

• Freddie
    • Monken
    • Baker

I never have liked a HC that calls his own plays. That being said - I think the biggest mistake that we can make at this time would be to relieve Freddie of that duty.

I parallel this to a golf swing that has suddenly gone awry. If you start making fundamental changes right away, you change so much so quickly that you invariably lose the point of no return. It is now time to stay the course. Freddie has admitted that he messed up with his play calling last night. Hopefully, he learns and grows from that.

To fix the problems on offense, we CANNOT try to hit 5 and 6 run homers . We need to get in the film room, figure out what went wrong and what can be done about it with a minimal amount of change. We have a real opportunity in front of us on Sunday. If we win, we take over first place in the division. Last I checked, that gets you into the playoffs.

We also cannot fall into the trap of crying in our beers. That was an ELITE NFL team that beat us, and the game was in doubt until the last few ticks on the clock. No, I am not into moral victories, but I do think we need some perspective. The Rams are good enough to put a hurting on just about every team in this league - and we were missing some key offensive personnel.

So we do what we do - show up ready to go back to work. We have too much individual talent to struggle forever. Gelling into a team is what takes time. Step away from the ledge people, we will be fine.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Don Roshi said:

Baker's shown that he can be an effective QB. He's shown it in a high tempo offence, that doesn't allow a defence to get properly set. He's highly accurate when he's in rhythm, arm strength for days. Now obviously, defences would have made adjustments to this, but to get away from this much is just stupid.

Agreed.

It’s also sad that an entire forum of fans can spot these things but the coaching staff fails to implement them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Don Roshi said:

Baker's shown that he can be an effective QB. He's shown it in a high tempo offence, that doesn't allow a defence to get properly set. He's highly accurate when he's in rhythm, arm strength for days. Now obviously, defences would have made adjustments to this, but to get away from this much is just stupid.

Yup.

Like I've said, I'm not against trying to get Baker more acclimated to having to sit in the pocket more and go through his reads - that will be needed for him to progress as a QB. However, it should be something that's done gradually instead of forcing him to do that nearly all of the time when that's not what his current strengths as a QB are.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DawgX said:

Anyway, pretty much what freaky and Thomas said. It seems like we're running Monken's offense, instead of just utilizing aspects of it. But ultimately, Freddie is the HC and the one calling the plays, so he gets the brunt of the blame. Baker needs to improve, but he absolutely isn't being put into a position to succeed. I also think he simply doesn't trust the OL and rightfully so in some ways, but he seems to be getting happy feet and getting uncomfortable even when the pocket is clean.

Baker looks skiddish because he 10000% doesn't trust the offensive line. You can see him get happy fest and scramble as soon as his #1 route isn't open and he has to look somewhere else.

That's why he's also leaving the pocket after the first read. I haven't seen him look calm and comfortable in the pocket all year.

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Baker looks skiddish because he 10000% doesn't trust the offensive line. You can see him get happy fest and scramble as soon as his #1 route isn't open and he has to look somewhere else.

That's why he's also leaving the pocket after the first read. I haven't seen him look calm and comfortable in the pocket all year.

While I agree with you on a lot of that, he did the same thing at OU and did it at many points last year as well. He needs to learn how to navigate the pocket and step up into it instead of trying to escape a clean pocket. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/baker-mayfield?id=32194d41-5948-3453-e6ac-1ecff99fdcf6

He will be fine, he's young, but this below he MUST work on. These weaknesses were clearly identified last year by many, and I was very vocal about them up until 2 hours after we drafted him.

• Needs to improve full-field scanning
    • Can be thrown off rhythm by delayed blitz packages and disguised coverages
    • Footwork is erratic
    • Needs to eliminate his back foot throws
    • Desire to make plays will lead to unnecessary sacks

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

While I agree with you on a lot of that, he did the same thing at OU and did it at many points last year as well. He needs to learn how to navigate the pocket and step up into it instead of trying to escape a clean pocket. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/baker-mayfield?id=32194d41-5948-3453-e6ac-1ecff99fdcf6

He will be fine, he's young, but this below he MUST work on. These weaknesses were clearly identified last year by many, and I was very vocal about them up until 2 hours after we drafted him.

•  

I get that it and it makes sense but the question is why did it work last year fantastically and now it's not. What's the broken link. I feel like when he bails on the pocket there are no WRs open which is weird because now there is OBJ.

I also think not having Higgins/Njoku is a massive problem that is allowing defenses to stack the box, blitz and bracket OBJ because there is no threat of Njoku/Higgins in the middle of the field.

Instead of being able to keep defenses honest with the amount of weapons we have, we have became 1 dimensional. Either run with Chubb of target OBJ/Landry on RPO slants.

Edited by AkronsWitness

Kitchens and Mayfield worked well together, eased pressure on Mayfield and put points on the board last year.

The major change from last year is the addition of Monken.

Did Kitchens all of a sudden become stupid?

Did Mayfield forget how to throw a football?

Don't think so.

Got to believe that the new ingredient (Monken) is a fly in the ointment/root cause of what we are seeing.

Still is on Kitchens since he is the HC, but....

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

Kitchens and Mayfield worked well together, eased pressure on Mayfield and put points on the board last year.

Don't think so.

Got to believe that the new ingredient (Monken) is a fly in the ointment/root cause of what we are seeing.

This is pretty much where I’m at.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bruceb said:

Don't think so.

It’s why I’m watching Jameis Winston this year.

11 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is pretty much where I’m at.

Yep. I think this form of offense can work with Mayfield and I really like it, if only we had a better line. We really need to adapt the play calling for what we have. 

But I can’t lie I’m still pissed at a call I saw in the 3rd or 4th quarter can’t remember. It was 3rd down within our own 10, we ran 3 verticals and no safety blanket. 😡😤. Pretty sure Hue and Kitchens are still friends. Hue had to have called him and guaranteed it would work. 

This Rams post by our beloved @Reginaldm9 described it perfectly. It was the best rant I’ve ever read.

You've got two of the best receivers in the game and we can't do anything to get them the ball? Freddie sucks so bad man. Honestly garbage with his whole Foghorn Leghorn southern bull****. Gotta believe the rumors that Arians fed Freddie the gameplan last season. I hate this team/sport so goddamn much. 

The lack of motions bothers me.

Baker not climbing the pocket bothers me, especially as the strength is probably the interior od the line.

Freddie can call haleys offense, but he cant call the haley-monken-freddie offense. It is qeird thatvlast year proteceting baker was a priority and then this year it isnt.