Thoughts on young QBs?

patriotsheatyan

3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Let me preface this by saying Mahomes is obviously in another realm of quarterbacking ability, and is without question miles better in so many ways, but Josh Allen kind of reminded me of a Mahomes-lite QB on Sunday. He's got that ridiculous arm, and has that ability to move around, escape pressure and make absurd, awkward-armed throws across his body and throwing off-platform. It's nerve-wracking to watch when your team needs a stop. 

Or am I reaching?

Much more turnover prone and nowhere near as spectacular. He should have thrown 4 INTs week 1 and 2 fumbles. The Bills did a great job giving him a OL that gives him plenty of time to throw though. Hes mediocre right now on a good overall team. 

Mahomes is on another level than every QB, hes freakishly good. 

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Maybe it's the Texans fan in me... But I feel as if nobody talks about Deshaun Watson in these threads anymore.

Mahomes is the clear #1, but Watson has to be locked into that #2 spot.. with a pretty wide gap for #3.

Watson was Rodgers-esque yesterday, Texans need to protect him more though. I think reason he is not mentioned by people is that people still have Wentz higher on their list after Mahomes. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Classic said:

Watson was Rodgers-esque yesterday, Texans need to protect him more though. I think reason he is not mentioned by people is that people still have Wentz higher on their list after Mahomes. 

I think the protection is getting there. Texans went from six sacks to four sacks to two sacks over the past three games, and Los Angeles probably had the best set of pass rushers of the three teams playing (Yannick Ngakoue was out week 2, so that's why the Jags weren't at the top). Now, yesterday wasn't a GREAT showing, but it was pretty good - Watson had time, took too much of it if anything. The sacks were pretty different in nature, designed to bring Watson inside the pocket to a 2nd wave of pressure coming up the gaps. 

The configuration of Tunsil/Scharping/Martin/Fulton/Howard seems like the winning combo for this unit going forward. If they can gel off of this performance, they'll be positioned to be a very good unit for a long time.

3 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I have a lot of faith in Kyle Allen

People forget that Kyle Allen was neck and neck with Kyler Murray when both were at Texas A&M; Murray transferred to Oklahoma, where Lincoln Riley refined him to the #1 pick in the draft. Allen transferred to UH, where Major Applewhite did nothing similar to that.

Allen has a good arm and plus athleticism - not as athletic as Murray, but probably has a better arm. Had Allen transferred to UT and worked with Tom Hermann, maybe he would have been a better prospect going into his draft.

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Maybe it's the Texans fan in me... But I feel as if nobody talks about Deshaun Watson in these threads anymore.

Mahomes is the clear #1, but Watson has to be locked into that #2 spot.. with a pretty wide gap for #3.

He gets overlooked. He’s one of my fav QBs. Mahomes is playing the best right now but Watson is not that far behind. 

Watching film on Watson, there’s no doubt in my my mind that if Watson was on the Chiefs under the same circumstances, then we’d all be talking about Watson the same way we are Mahomes. 

Sure Mahomes can do the left handed throws and no look passes, not to mention, his throws based on his ridiculous arm strength. But Watson doesn’t need to do all that. He’s very clutch and a solid leader 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Much more turnover prone and nowhere near as spectacular. He should have thrown 4 INTs week 1 and 2 fumbles. The Bills did a great job giving him a OL that gives him plenty of time to throw though. Hes mediocre right now on a good overall team. 

Mahomes is on another level than every QB, hes freakishly good. 

Comparing anyone to Mahomes is dumb. We talking about a dude on his way to GOAT status.

Josh always gonna be the dude to have a couple head scratchers every game, but he’s resilient and also going to make plays other guys simply can’t. He sheds passrushers like no ones business. He’s going to be Big Ben 2.0.

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

Watson is established, at least to me. Everyone should know by now that Watson is a damn fine QB. My first thought was that this thread is more for the super young and inexperienced guys, like Baker, Jackson, Darnold, Allen, Kyle Allen, Murray, Rosen, and Jones.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

You're excluding Wentz/Goff/Dak of this right? Cause those guys vs Watson is at least debatable. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Watson is established, at least to me. Everyone should know by now that Watson is a damn fine QB. My first thought was that this thread is more for the super young and inexperienced guys, like Baker, Jackson, Darnold, Allen, Kyle Allen, Murray, Rosen, and Jones.

Kyle Allen had a solid game but I think it's pretty odd to list him with the rest of those yet. Not that I think Rosen is going to be anything (due to situation) but...

5 hours ago, TedLavie said:

You're excluding Wentz/Goff/Dak of this right? Cause those guys vs Watson is at least debatable. 

I'm setting the line at the 2016 draft. I'd agree that it's a pretty close race between Watson and the 2015 class, and people could make arguments for and against each.

Josh Allen: Mediocre.

Josh Rosen: Garbage.

Sam Darnold: Mediocre.

Lamar Jackson: I doubt he'll ever become a consistently effective passer, but he'll get by for a few years.

Baker Mayfield: Needs an offensive line.

DeShaun Watson: Most underrated QB in the league.

Jacoby Brisket: If he can take Indy to the playoffs, which is certainly possible considering how weak the AFC South is, do they really need to draft a QB? Brisket isn't a world beater, but I think Indy wouldn't mind sticking with him if he can do that.

Daniel Jones: Very impressive thus far.

Patrick Mahomes: The future face of the NFL.