Week 3 takeaways?

brownie man

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

3. Seattle would be a much better team if they stopped trying to hide Russell Wilson for 3 quarters, and if their defense wasn't abysmal. Ansah, Clowney and LJ Collier (their 1st round pick this year) all made the same contributions yesterday. One of those players was a healthy inactive.

Frustrating, yes.

But I am not going to read too much into this performance from the defensive line. AK had 9 catches; 27 touches overall , Wagner and Wright combined for 31 tackles. The Saints obviously schemed the defensive line away. Bridgewater spent most of the day taking 2-4 step drops and dumping the ball to AK in space. Three straight weeks for keeping the opposing teams run game in check (although AK one-man-band'd himself to a decent day on the ground). Significant improvement from last year in that department. 

4 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

When some of us were throwing out the Ravens as the best secondary in the league on paper, we had Humphrey, Jimmy Smith, Tavon Young and Carr with some recent midround draft picks in Averrett and Marshall for depth at cornerback. When Humphrey went out in the 2nd quarter, none of our projected top 3 corners were in there and our depth was out. Canady, who was on our practice squad last week, played major snaps against KC.

A couple guys should be back, but I don't think its fair to say the group was overrated when we never got to see them full strength

Okay but:

1. Jimmy Smith is always hurt, so relying on him to play major snaps for your team all season is already overrating him.

2. Marlon was out for one series, IIRC, but even when he is on the field teams are having no issues avoiding him and throwing at everyone else.

3. Even without Tavon Young, we were saying we have the best secondary in the NFL before the season started.

4. Brandon Carr is a starter for us and looks like a total liability this year in man coverage, even against #2/#3 WR's.

5. Tony Jefferson is totally worthless on the field in all aspects, as is Averett.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KOTN-93 said:

The Vikings are nasty if they get an early lead. If they can get off to starts like VS ATL and OAK this team can win the Super Bowl

Basically take the ball out of Cousins’s hands when it matters, I can agree with that. Too bad Atlanta and Oakland are bottom tier teams, it’s hard to judge right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Howler said:

Pettine trained them hard to produce turnovers in the offseason. This isn't a fluke. 

I do think the Packers have a good D (the Smith brothers look great and Savage/Jaire look like young stars), but I really would like to see them against some better offenses/QBs to further gauge how good they truly are.  Bears and Broncos arguably have bottom 5 offenses/QBs in the league so that can certainly lead to some misleading statistics when the sample size is this small.

• Like 1

Baker Mayfield can still only see half of the field, he feels pocket ghosts/needs to navigate the pocket better instead of always trying to escape it by rolling to his right, and their OL situation is sub-par. They also badly need a TE, even if Njoku was healthy.

3 minutes ago, fortdetroit said:

I do think the Packers have a good D (the Smith brothers look great and Savage/Jaire look like young stars), but I really would like to see them against some better offenses/QBs to further gauge how good they truly are.  Bears and Broncos arguably have bottom 5 offenses/QBs in the league so that can certainly lead to some misleading statistics when the sample size is this small.

I agree. The offenses we have played have been mediocre at best. The next two weeks vs. Eagles and Cowboys will be better indicators of where this defense really ranks amongst the league. The same can be said for most defenses ranked towards the top right now, such as New England. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

I agree. The offenses we have played have been mediocre at best. The next two weeks vs. Eagles and Cowboys will be better indicators of where this defense really ranks amongst the league. The same can be said for most defenses ranked towards the top right now, such as New England. 

With that said, they have been carrying the team under duress. Packers are bottom 5 in YPP I believe. Rodgers isn't the breadwinner anymore. It's the defense. 

Edited by Howler

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Baker Mayfield can still only see half of the field, he feels pocket ghosts/needs to navigate the pocket better instead of always trying to escape it by rolling to his right, and their OL situation is sub-par. They also badly need a TE, even if Njoku was healthy.

He was running into so much pressure last night. Leaving clean pocket after clean pocket and running backwards basically.  Made everything about 10x worse for him.

Just now, fortdetroit said:

He was running into so much pressure last night. Leaving clean pocket after clean pocket and running backwards basically.  Made everything about 10x worse for him.

Unfortunately it's been something that he's done way too much for his entire rookie year all the way back to his college days. That said, he's still really young and will learn eventually.