MWil23

Who wins?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins

• Browns
    • Hornby
    • Kiwi
    • Who cares? If you're not wearing Orange and Brown, you don't matter

I would say our biggest problems on offense are a variety of things. In no particular order:

1. Freddie’s playcalling. He’s getting Baker killed and you probably saw the 4th and 9 play. He refuses to run Nick Chubb and it puts a ton of stress on our weak offensive line (more on them later) and Baker. Best case scenario is Freddie believes Baker will work ish out with a bunch of reps. We are not mixing up our formations. We run 11 personnel 99% of the time, including goal line (you probably saw that too). He needs to surrender playcalling duties. I like Freddie as a HC who can work with Baker more than a OC.

2. Baker Mayfield. Holy cow. He is NOT the same guy as last year. He is skiddish at best in the pocket right now. He’s had plays where he’s had plenty of time and guys are open, but still throws to another area code. Jarvis and OBJ are doing their jobs. Baker won’t throw to a check down. It’s been all or nothing (or worse) for him. I’m not a shrink, but his brain has been flooded with hype and coaching changes.

3. Offensive line. We all knew this unit would be a problem. However, we had faith that the interior would be strong. They’re not bad, but nothing special. The offensive tackles are boom or bust every play. Greg Robinson can play well at times, but he gets handsy. The right tackle spot has sucked.

Then you throw in turnovers, absurd amount of penalties, and injuries / suspensions.

Our defense and special teams can ball though.

@diamondbull424

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

2. Baker Mayfield. Holy cow. He is NOT the same guy as last year. He is skiddish at best in the pocket right now. He’s had plays where he’s had plenty of time and guys are open, but still throws to another area code. Jarvis and OBJ are doing their jobs. Baker won’t throw to a check down. It’s been all or nothing (or worse) for him. I’m not a shrink, but his brain has been flooded with hype and coaching changes.

Perhaps it’s because he’s been going against your DL this whole time. Maybe all he needed was other teams (not as good defensively) and that’ll gradually boost his aura.

Either that or something mental beyond what we know hit, like the pitfalls of being a “celebrity”. Being backstabbed by “family” and “Friends”. The politics of the job. More than all the other rookie QBs he got the endorsements and received the celebrity. So like you said the “hype”.

Hopefully that’s not the case and he’s just starting off “slow” and he’ll bounce back. Not in any game against the Ravens, but outside of that. I thought he and Lamar were the clear cut best QBs in that class... even if people laughed me off for having a “running back” over Rosen and Darnold. Thought Baker’s Oklahoma play was reminiscent of Russell Wilson and Drew Brees with that elite arm accuracy. My only concern with Baker coming out was that sometimes (in my personal experiences with others) people talk “big” and “bold” when they lack legit internal confidence and do those things and use external motivation so much to sort of “fake it until they make it”. But what happens when you make it and feel like a fraud? In psychology they call it “imposter syndrome”.

I’m sure it’s just a slump of games and not as big as my draft concerns though. I’m looking forward to Lamar and Baker battling similar to last season... obviously just want to see the Ravens come out on top. But I want another AFCN to represent in the playoffs as well. Especially since I think the Browns have the team components to matchup best with the Chiefs while we matchup best in stopping the Patriots. Would love to see a Baker and Lamar AFCCG.

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Whats even more discouraging is that from todays reports we could be missing our entire secondary....again.

I thought Greedy and Ward were only questionable last game with the hamstrings. Is there something this week saying they don’t look good?

Randall should be back though correct, as he was just out with a concussion correct?

4 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I thought Greedy and Ward were only questionable last game with the hamstrings. Is there something this week saying they don’t look good?

Randall should be back though correct, as he was just out with a concussion correct?

From today both Greedy/Ward are still working with trainers but both of them sounded like it was very 50/50 and not like it was any sort of a sure thing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

On the bright side higgins price is constantly lowering, we may be able to afford to keep him, on the negative he is injury prone. 

Ratley is playing well also.

And Callaway comes back after next week. Problem is we cant dig ourselves that big of a hole before players start coming back full strength week-5-6.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

If we are 4-3 by week 7 we should make the playoffs. 

Going 4-3 means we went 3-1 vs Ravens 9ers Seahawks and Pats. I really don’t see that happening  

To me the browns have to try and go 2-2. They gotta try and walk away with at least 3 wins before the end of the first half of the season 

they go 3-4, 10-6 is a strong possibility because that back half of the schedule is so much easier and the browns should be healthier (fingers cross) and have Callaway and Hunt back on the squad. Right now the two toughest teams on the back end of the schedule is prolly Ravens and Bills and those are both home games. 

• Like 2