Giants RB Saquon Barkley out "several weeks" with high-ankle sprain; could play Sunday

RaidersAreOne

46 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think it's usually like 4-6 weeks. High ankle sprains are terrible

If Wayne Gallman and Danny Dimes can keep it going for a while, I would err on the side of caution with an 8-10 week recovery/rest time.

Saquan isn't just a RB, he's the centerpiece of this offense for a while. Don't rush him into game time unless he's completely no risk of re-injury.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If Wayne Gallman and Danny Dimes can keep it going for a while, I would err on the side of caution with an 8-10 week recovery/rest time.

Saquan isn't just a RB, he's the centerpiece of this offense for a while. Don't rush him into game time unless he's completely no risk of re-injury.

I agree, but we are  all forgetting (somehow) that Saquon is a freak. He told the media he wasn't worried and had a similar high ankle sprain freshman year of college and only missed 2 games. Obviously, I think we should hold him out more than 2 weeks, but he may be able to come back sooner than a lot of us think. And you know he is itching to come back. Again, he's a freak on the level of Adrian Peterson.

I like Gallman a lot, but we need someone to supplement him and we don't have anyone right now; he runs too angry and reckless to carry the load by himself. We will definitely be bringing in another back this week and cutting one of our 5 tight ends. Eric Tomlinson played just 1 snap yesterday.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I agree, but we are  all forgetting (somehow) that Saquon is a freak. He told the media he wasn't worried and had a similar high ankle sprain freshman year of college and only missed 2 games. Obviously, I think we should hold him out more than 2 weeks, but he may be able to come back sooner than a lot of us think. And you know he is itching to come back. Again, he's a freak on the level of Adrian Peterson

I can absolutely see this - the guy has an impeccable work regimen and his body will snap back pretty quickly following injury because of it, IMO. 

MRI revealed Giants’ RB Saquon Barkley suffered a high ankle sprain that could sideline him anywhere from 4-8 weeks, per source. Longer timeline is considered more likely; the Giants have a bye in week 11, which could give him eight weeks to recover and return for last six games.

Well, the Giants are only allowed one exciting player at a time. Heaven forbid we have our best players healthy and in the field at the same time. Teams are going to game plan and force Jones to beat them. He still looked great without Saquon, but obviously having the best running back in the league would be a major plus.

Luckily Golden Tate comes back in two weeks. Yes, we’re at the point that getting Golden Tate is exciting, 

Edited by Gmen

8 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Well, the Giants are only allowed one exciting player at a time. Heaven forbid we have our best players healthy and in the field at the same time. Teams are going to game plan and force Jones to beat them. He still looked great without Saquon, but obviously having the best running back in the league would be a major plus.

Luckily Golden Tate comes back in two weeks. Yes, we’re at the point that getting Golden Tate is exciting, 

I’ve been stashing him in fantasy tbh because I expect him to immediately put up numbers when he gets back

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

I agree, but we are  all forgetting (somehow) that Saquon is a freak. He told the media he wasn't worried and had a similar high ankle sprain freshman year of college and only missed 2 games. Obviously, I think we should hold him out more than 2 weeks, but he may be able to come back sooner than a lot of us think. And you know he is itching to come back. Again, he's a freak on the level of Adrian Peterson.

I like Gallman a lot, but we need someone to supplement him and we don't have anyone right now; he runs too angry and reckless to carry the load by himself. We will definitely be bringing in another back this week and cutting one of our 5 tight ends. Eric Tomlinson played just 1 snap yesterday.

Not to mention, your guys' bye week is week 8, I believe.  Unless Saquon's freakishness results in him coming back way ahead of schedule, you keep him out till after the bye.  Give him until the bye to rest and recover and then use the bye week to re-integrate him into the team and build his familiarity with Jones.

10 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Not to mention, your guys' bye week is week 8, I believe.  Unless Saquon's freakishness results in him coming back way ahead of schedule, you keep him out till after the bye.  Give him until the bye to rest and recover and then use the bye week to re-integrate him into the team and build his familiarity with Jones.

I think our bye week is week 11. Not getting him back until week 12 is a long time to keep him out. That's basically half the season he'd be out.

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I think it's usually like 4-6 weeks. High ankle sprains are terrible

FWIW Schefter's 4-8 week tweet a couple of hours ago is a brutally bad take (Rapsheet came out with a tweet later to stay on the 4-6 week timeline) - not because it's not possible, but because with HAS, unlike many injuries, there's a pretty simple binary division.

Grade 1 - mild, 2-4 weeks.  For non-skill positions, you can see guys back after a week off (trench guys, who don't need to move around that much <but no plays where G pulls lol>, like NT or G).

Grade 2 - moderate, but stable joint - doesn't need surgery.  4-6 weeks.  That's the scenario that was immediately in play when Barkley couldn't weight bear fully, and needed assistance.   With elite athletes, you can see 4 weeks, but it's also one where residual pain/stiffness is likely to be there for RoS - so 6 weeks is not uncommon, either, even in pro sports.

Grade 3 (unstable) - this is where the 8+ week time frame comes in.   Often a screw is considered (and usually not a long-term problem) - but then 8-10 weeks is required.

Honestly, it would be shocking if Barkley had a grade 3 unstable injury, for 2 reasons.  First, walking off at all would be really hard, let alone to the locker (yes, with assitance, still almost impossible).  Secondly, there's no 4 weeks in a grade 3 scenario.  That screams that Schefter's take was meant to get out early (shortly after Rapsheet came out with first tweet).    But it's either a 4-6 week injury, or it's a 8+ week injury.  Schefter's tweet doesn't make sense - it's either 4-6, or 8+.  Not 4-8 like he posted.  Bad sourcing (or rushed tweet without complete info given).

You don't want to rush his return - but assuming it's a 4-6 week timeframe with a grade 2 injury, then the week 6 game is a TNF.  That's a no go.  The week 7 game is earliest ETA (and winnable vs. ARI) - I think if there's a game to target to be safe, it's home to DAL week 9 as latest.  Now if they come out with word that injury is a grade 3 (unstable) HAS - then they should IR-return him and wait 8+ weeks until after week 11.  But everything in the MRI confirmed report post-Schefter says it's a grade 2 HAS - and that's a 4-6 week timetable.

The good news for Barkley fantasy owners is that it carries no long-term risk - but either way, it's still a gut punch. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I think our bye week is week 11. Not getting him back until week 12 is a long time to keep him out. That's basically half the season he'd be out.

Well, I mean, we just had Week 3.  HAS is more typically a 6-8 week injury than a 4-6 week injury.  The only thing that really separates it from being the half-season killer than hamstring pulls are is that hamstrings tend to linger.  But, as-is, if the 6 week prospectus is the correct one, that means he's out until Week 9 or 10 anyway.

24 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW Schefter's 4-8 week tweet a couple of hours ago is a brutally bad take (Rapsheet came out with a tweet later to stay on the 4-6 week timeline) - not because it's not possible, but because with HAS, unlike many injuries, there's a pretty simple binary division.

Grade 1 - mild, 2-4 weeks.  For non-skill positions, you can see guys back after a week off (trench guys, who don't need to move around that much <but no plays where G pulls lol>, like NT or G).

Grade 2 - moderate, but stable joint - doesn't need surgery.  4-6 weeks.  That's the scenario that was immediately in play when Barkley couldn't weight bear fully, and needed assistance.   With elite athletes, you can see 4 weeks, but it's also one where residual pain/stiffness is likely to be there for RoS - so 6 weeks is not uncommon, either, even in pro sports.

Grade 3 (unstable) - this is where the 8+ week time frame comes in.   Often a screw is considered (and usually not a long-term problem) - but then 8-10 weeks is required.

Honestly, it would be shocking if Barkley had a grade 3 unstable injury, for 2 reasons.  First, walking off at all would be really hard, let alone to the locker (yes, with assitance, still almost impossible).  Secondly, there's no 4 weeks in a grade 3 scenario.  That screams that Schefter's take was meant to get out early (shortly after Rapsheet came out with first tweet).    But it's either a 4-6 week injury, or it's a 8+ week injury.  Schefter's tweet doesn't make sense - it's either 4-6, or 8+.  Not 4-8 like he posted.  Bad sourcing (or rushed tweet without complete info given).

You don't want to rush his return - but the week 6 game is a TNF.  That's a no go.  The week 7 game is earliest ETA (and winnable vs. ARI) - I think if there's a game to target to be safe, it's home to DAL week 9 as latest.  Now if they come out with word that injury is a grade 3 (unstable) HAS - then they should IR-return him and wait 8+ weeks until after week 11.  But everything in the MRI confirmed report post-Schefter says it's a grade 2 HAS - and that's a 4-6 week timetable.

The good news for Barkley fantasy owners is that it carries no long-term risk - but either way, it's still a gut punch. 

You have experience in the medical field @Broncofan? Or just really familiar with high ankle sprains?