Chris Harris Jr Trade?

bMiller031

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The more Day 2 picks we have, the better.  Sadly, I don't think Day 1 is realistic, but hey, who knows....

Would you trade any players in division if the overpay was right?

I'd trade Harris to the Chiefs if it was for a 2nd.

I'd trade Von to the Raiders if it was for two firsts lol . Stuff like that.

I'd take on a bad contract if it got us better draft capital depending on how good.

Edited by thebestever6

10 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

He was in town to have his high school number retired, probably just stayed in town. If Von is gonna get traded that’s an offseason move imo.

You're probably right but a guy who lives and breathes football on the Dallas sideline with Zeke's pass. Smells a little smoky.

Well Elway's set his price for Sanders, I think we know he's looking for a Rd2 pick on Harris.

If we "only" get a 4th for Sanders by the 29th, that's still a fantastic result given where Sanders was starting the year, with so many Q marks.   Frankly, I don't know that Elway wants to take the chance on playing Sanders next Sunday and risking an injury - Sanders will only give it his all - but he's also facing an IND D that is playing well, and it's on turf.   

Harris, on the other hand, Elway can hold out until the 29th - there are 2-3 teams desperate for a solo cover CB (PHI tonight shows that), and those guys are elite assets.   It's only because he's 30 and on his final year that it's not a 1st.  If all the buyers resist in "only" offering a 3rd, Elway's well within his rights to wait it out.  Someone wants Harris for Week 8, they need to pony up a 2nd.  Maybe Elway could send a 5th back as a way of bridging a gap.  Given that island CB's can integrate far sooner than a WR can into an O that's not off the same root system (e.g. SF system with DEN), then holding out to the 29th doesn't seem to carry as much power as it does with Harris Jr.  But I guess we'll find out soon enough.

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well Elway's set his price for Sanders, I think we know he's looking for a Rd2 pick on Harris.

If we "only" get a 4th for Sanders by the 29th, that's still a fantastic result given where Sanders was starting the year, with so many Q marks.   Frankly, I don't know that Elway wants to take the chance on playing Sanders next Sunday and risking an injury - Sanders will only give it his all - but he's also facing an IND D that is playing well, and it's on turf.   

Harris, on the other hand, Elway can hold out until the 29th - there are 2-3 teams desperate for a solo cover CB (PHI tonight shows that), and those guys are elite assets.   It's only because he's 30 and on his final year that it's not a 1st.  If all the buyers resist in "only" offering a 3rd, Elway's well within his rights to wait it out.  Someone wants Harris for Week 8, they need to pony up a 2nd.  Maybe Elway could send a 5th back as a way of bridging a gap.  Given that island CB's can integrate far sooner than a WR can into an O that's not off the same root system (e.g. SF system with DEN), then holding out to the 29th doesn't seem to carry as much power as it does with Harris Jr.  But I guess we'll find out soon enough.

At the same time, this sucks to have to get rid of these guys for essentially nothing. 2 actual difference making players. If the Broncos get in return what people are saying and that would even be a 2nd for CHJ and a 4th for Sanders--In my mind that comes out to be a rookie that stands about a 20% chance of being a good player and another rookie that will most likely be a backup for 3 years and not earn a second contract.

Not fun to think about.

Edited by AkronsWitness

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

At the same time, this sucks to have to get rid of these guys for essentially nothing. 2 actual difference making players. If the Broncos get in return what people are saying and that would even be a 2nd for CHJ and a 4th for Sanders--In my mind that comes out to be a rookie that stands about a 20% chance of being a good player and another rookie that will most likely be a backup for 3 years and not earn a second contract.

Not fun to think about.

Right, but Harris is gone no matter what.  An end of 3rd has a lot lower chance of success.  It is what it is.  

Sanders we can look at it another way - the 90th percentile outcome with an Achilles rupture at age 30 is that it's career-ending.   For us to get a 3rd or 4th round pick is an amazing result.  Plus, with Sutton as our clear #1, if there's a year to get a Day 2 pick to spend on WR, it's the 2020 draft.  Best draft depth of top end talent since the 2014 class (nothing matches it, but the best since then).   

You're absolutely right that no picks come with guarantees.  But if you hit on them to get even league-average starting ability by year 2, you are so much further ahead of the game for the next 4 years.   And if you are lucky enough to get a Risner or Sutton-level talent...wow.   Taking more shots to get those kind of talents is well worth it for rebuilders. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Right, but Harris is gone no matter what.  An end of 3rd has a lot lower chance of success.  It is what it is.

Sanders we can look at it another way - the 90th percentile outcome with an Achilles rupture at age 30 is that it's career-ending.   For us to get a 3rd or 4th round pick is an amazing result.   

You're absolutely right that no picks come with guarantees.  But if you hit on them to get even league-average starting ability by year 2, you are so much further ahead of the game for the next 4 years.   And if you are lucky enough to get a Risner or Sutton-level talent...wow.   Taking more shots to get those kind of talents is well worth it for rebuilders. 

It is, but Sutton or Risner level players are high-mid second rounders. If the Broncos get a 3rd + 4th for both players then your just essentially in reality trading your CB1 and WR1 for 2 rookie backups. Im not sure how you have even a remotely quick turnaround when your not stockpiling legit assets that can come in and help immediately.

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

It is, but Sutton or Risner level players are high-mid second rounders. If the Broncos get a 3rd + 4th for both players then your just essentially in reality trading your CB1 and WR1 for 2 rookie backups. Im not sure how you have even a remotely quick turnaround when your not stockpiling legit assets that can come in and help immediately.

Totally fair if that's the result - but the need for teams for a slot WR (NO, NE, and yes, even SF), and need for a CB - I'd be surprised if we didn't get the 2nd for Harris.   And you can leverage the 2 3rds we have to move up in Rd 2, as well.    Because of the complementary nature with WR, I would be surprised if we got the 3rd..but man, need is driving 3-4 teams to really look hard at paying for Sanders, so we'll see.

I get your point totally.  It's just that we don't have much choice with Harris.  And it would be nuts to extend Sanders given the stage of his career.   Even if we somehow extended Sanders on a 2 year deal, the odds are that we wouldn't find even this level of market price for Sanders.  

I get what you are saying, esp. since you experienced decades of this with CLE.  It's no guarantee.  But playing out the string doesn't help us, and frankly, it probably only worsens our draft position.  Having pick 1 in the 5-10 range and our 2nd rounder in the 33-40 range is a lot better for our chances to find impact guys.   It sucks, but it is what it is.

Edited by Broncofan

34 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Totally fair if that's the result - but the need for teams for a slot WR (NO, NE, and yes, even SF), and need for a CB - I'd be surprised if we didn't get the 2nd for Harris.   And you can leverage the 2 3rds we have to move up in Rd 2, as well.    Because of the complementary nature with WR, I would be surprised if we got the 3rd..but man, need is driving 3-4 teams to really look hard at paying for Sanders, so we'll see.

I get your point totally.  It's just that we don't have much choice with Harris.  And it would be nuts to extend Sanders given the stage of his career.   Even if we somehow extended Sanders on a 2 year deal, the odds are that we wouldn't find even this level of market price for Sanders.  

I get what you are saying, esp. since you experienced decades of this with CLE.  It's no guarantee.  But playing out the string doesn't help us, and frankly, it probably only worsens our draft position.  Having pick 1 in the 5-10 range and our 2nd rounder in the 33-40 range is a lot better for our chances to find impact guys.   It sucks, but it is what it is.

Makes sense, I still hold out a sliver of hope that they can workout a deal with Harris, I weirdly believe there is mutual interest as long as the $$ is right. 3yr/40m seems like it would get it done with him. Sanders is gone, I just hope its not for a 4th that I consider to be worth very little especially for the current production Sanders can give a team with a legit QB.

The Broncos are on pace to be able to draft Jeff Okudah with the 4th-8th pick that they will probably end up with so if they do lose Harris---he could be a obvious replacement.

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Makes sense, I still hold out a sliver of hope that they can workout a deal with Harris, I weirdly believe there is mutual interest as long as the $$ is right. 3yr/40m seems like it would get it done with him. Sanders is gone, I just hope its not for a 4th that I consider to be worth very little especially for the current production Sanders can give a team with a legit QB.

The Broncos are on pace to be able to draft Jeff Okudah with the 4th-8th pick that they will probably end up with so if they do lose Harris---he could be a obvious replacement.

Harris doesn't fit the timeline and deserves to win.  With cardinals being 3-3 and 1 denver is the only game in town for a corner.  They have too much leverage not to deal him.

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Elway was lucky to get the restructure done in the offseason to avoid a Harris holdout.  He's not coming back - because Harris also wants to get paid....but also wants to play for a contender.   He's a goner.   He's already said as much, and it's a known fact in the locker room(that's part of the Week 3 post-game issue where Harris said "you only need to put up with this for 13 more weeks" in response to teammates being unhappy with his calling guys out in the locker  room- and to be clear, Harris was calling guys out to play better, so he wasn't saying he was mailing it in, just a fact that everyone knows he's done after this year).

It's just better to accept the Harris situation for what it is, and hope we can swing a 2nd. 

Edited by Broncofan