Chris Harris Jr Trade?

bMiller031

I know for some people, including some sports talk radio clowns who’ve never played a down of football since high school (if they even did then), there is a lot more to building a team than just stockpiling draft picks. 

One reason, and a BIG one, why Sanders was traded was that he was becoming a problem in the locker room. He wanted out, we weren’t going to keep him and Elway has a good relationship with Lynch and Peters so they hot a deal done that was good for ALL 3 parties. 

I’ll say it again, this isn’t a video game. In real life a lot of things beyond “we can get an X round pick for player Y, lets do it.” 

If, for example, a team comes by and offers a 2nd, or a 3rd and a 4th, for CHJ, they’re going to make sure he will resign with them as he has an expiring contract. Perhaps Chris wants to test the full free market (which he hasn’t ever done in his career) and has his agent telling teams he’s doing that whether he plays Week 17 for us or anyone else. I would wager, knowing what I know about Chris, he will take (somewhat) less money to go to a contender than become the highest paid CB for a rebuilding team. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I know for some people, including some sports talk radio clowns who’ve never played a down of football since high school (if they even did then), there is a lot more to building a team than just stockpiling draft picks. 

One reason, and a BIG one, why Sanders was traded was that he was becoming a problem in the locker room. He wanted out, we weren’t going to keep him and Elway has a good relationship with Lynch and Peters so they hot a deal done that was good for ALL 3 parties. 

I’ll say it again, this isn’t a video game. In real life a lot of things beyond “we can get an X round pick for player Y, lets do it.” 

If, for example, a team comes by and offers a 2nd, or a 3rd and a 4th, for CHJ, they’re going to make sure he will resign with them as he has an expiring contract. Perhaps Chris wants to test the full free market (which he hasn’t ever done in his career) and has his agent telling teams he’s doing that whether he plays Week 17 for us or anyone else. I would wager, knowing what I know about Chris, he will take (somewhat) less money to go to a contender than become the highest paid CB for a rebuilding team. 

No doubt this is true.  However, there is absolutely no doubt Elway has been holding onto guys simply because he thinks/hopes this team can compete, when it’s been pretty obvious since the SB this team isn’t anything more than capable of competing to be .500.  

Sitting on players and not getting any value on consistently poor football teams isn’t a recipe for success and is part of the reason this team is where it’s at.  

There is literally no upside to have held onto Harris these last 2 years.  Just like there is no upside in keeping Von Miller for next season.  

34 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I would wager, knowing what I know about Chris, he will take (somewhat) less money to go to a contender than become the highest paid CB for a rebuilding team. 

I would wager that he would take (somewhat) less money to stay in Denver as well. 

The only way he knows his value is by going to FA and seeing what offers he gets - then he knows what he will accept to be where he wants to be. I would actually be shocked if he just chased the money. 

And I wouldn't have  a problem if Elway paid him a decent salary and he stayed a Bronco.

17 minutes ago, germ-x said:

There is literally no upside to have held onto Harris these last 2 years.  Just like there is no upside in keeping Von Miller for next season.  

No matter who rebuilding you are doing you can't have a roster of just kids - you need some vet experience and I think there is no one better than Harris for that. 

The guy just wants to get paid.

Now - with Miller - my reason for supporting trading Miller is that he doesn't appear to be a fit for Fangio's defence and I think Fangio is going to get some time here as HC. It is better we get something for Von in those circumstances - letting Fangio find a more suitable player for his scheme and also have some draft capital left to rebuild the offence. Miller has been terrific here and deserves to be on a team that will use his talents to the fullest.

1 hour ago, jolly red giant said:

If Miller is moved - and I see a case for doing that - I suspect it will be the off-season. I agree with others on here that there is more value to be had at the end of the season than this week.

If that happens I'll eat crow for bashing Elway but as for today I'm angry lol.

48 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

No matter who rebuilding you are doing you can't have a roster of just kids - you need some vet experience and I think there is no one better than Harris for that. 

The guy just wants to get paid.

Now - with Miller - my reason for supporting trading Miller is that he doesn't appear to be a fit for Fangio's defence and I think Fangio is going to get some time here as HC. It is better we get something for Von in those circumstances - letting Fangio find a more suitable player for his scheme and also have some draft capital left to rebuild the offence. Miller has been terrific here and deserves to be on a team that will use his talents to the fullest.

Oh I by no means think the roster should be all draft picks and young players.  There does need to be a veteran presence on the team, but you don’t need to spend $15M a year on a 32 year old CB to get that.  This can be done far cheaper than that.  There are cheap, high character veteran leaders every off season.  Domata Peko from the last couple years is that exact type and comes at 3/4s the price of a guy like Harris.

If this team can somehow keep CHJ I say do it. He has been playing extremely well.  In fact, this defense outside of the Jags game has been awesome.  If the Broncos can somehow put together a respectable offense and better in-game coaching then watch out.  The offense only needs to score about 21 points per game to win most games.  I get it.  CHJ has been a captain and I have a hard time seeing him play elsewhere, but it also wouldn't shock me if he does go to a contender...I would.  But I am not him. 

The other part to keep in mind with who to trade, whether to acquire draft picks, and what not is currently doesn’t have a QB.  I highly doubt Flacco is back next year, as of now the franchise is showing about as little confidence in Lock as possible.  We’re rolling into the rest of the season with Brandon Allen (a 27 year old who has never thrown a pass during the NFL regular season) and Brett Rypien (who is severely limited physically). 

I think this leaves Elway with yet another year of making a big decision at QB, which is scary as he’s been awful in this area post Peyton Manning.  Do they go out and sign a middling vet to compete with Lock, similar to the Siemian/Lynch situation?  There will be some young bigger names possibly on the market (Mariota, Winston, Bridgewater) does Elway decide to make a splash there?  Or does Elway go after a top QB in this draft?

This team is in such bad shape...haha. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, germ-x said:

The other part to keep in mind with who to trade, whether to acquire draft picks, and what not is currently doesn’t have a QB.  I highly doubt Flacco is back next year, as of now the franchise is showing about as little confidence in Lock as possible.  We’re rolling into the rest of the season with Brandon Allen (a 27 year old who has never thrown a pass during the NFL regular season) and Brett Rypien (who is severely limited physically). 

I think this leaves Elway with yet another year of making a big decision at QB, which is scary as he’s been awful in this area post Peyton Manning.  Do they go out and sign a middling vet to compete with Lock, similar to the Siemian/Lynch situation?  There will be some young bigger names possibly on the market (Mariota, Winston, Bridgewater) does Elway decide to make a splash there?  Or does Elway go after a top QB in this draft?

This team is in such bad shape...haha. 

Jameis Winston would be unbelievable.

"We got our guy" - a smirking John Elway before he introduces Jameis to the Denver media 

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

"We got our guy" - a smirking John Elway before he introduces Jameis to the Denver media 

Man, I just can’t help but think Elway’s thought process is to bring in a guy like Andy Dalton to compete with Lock or sign Mariota, Winston, Bridgewater to be the outright starter.  I honestly think he’s terrified to outright lay it on the line and select a QB in the top 10 of the draft with how poorly drafted QBs have done (not that the FAs have worked any better). 

The other crazy part is Flacco was bad, but he’s still the best QB Denver’s had since Manning.  Like it’s going to get worse.  I was a fan of the Lock pick and stand behind it.  I’ll take his talent in round 2 with no QB of the future all day, but I saw him in person at camp and he couldn’t complete a pass in 7 on 7.  I actually understand not playing him this season because he’s that far behind mentally, he will get absolutely destroyed unless they give him the green light to run at every opportunity (which then puts him at risk of another injury). This team just got a lot worse with Flacco out.

1 minute ago, germ-x said:

Man, I just can’t help but think Elway’s thought process is to bring in a guy like Andy Dalton to compete with Lock or sign Mariota, Winston, Bridgewater to be the outright starter.  I honestly think he’s terrified to outright lay it on the line and select a QB in the top 10 of the draft with how poorly drafted QBs have done (not that the FAs have worked any better). 

The other crazy part is Flacco was bad, but he’s still the best QB Denver’s had since Manning.  Like it’s going to get worse.  I was a fan of the Lock pick and stand behind it.  I’ll take his talent in round 2 with no QB of the future all day, but I saw him in person at camp and he couldn’t complete a pass in 7 on 7.  I actually understand not playing him this season because he’s that far behind mentally, he will get absolutely destroyed unless they give him the green light to run at every opportunity (which then puts him at risk of another injury). This team just got a lot worse with Flacco out.

Damn Germ stop being soooooo brutally honest lol. If your prediction is as accurate as your KC prediction we're in big trouble. 

13 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Don't you dare put those words on a Broncos message board!!. Unless he signs cheap ala the Kaep price in 2016 then that's just smart business decisions. 

I'm totally OK with a 1-year guaranteed vet signing if it doesn't cost valuable picks or ties up long-term money (my main objection with Flacco was that he wasn't going to solve our problems AND he cost a 4th - it's not a guarantee you'll hit, but Rd 4 or early-5 (depending on the year) is generally the cutoff at which the talent is still very worth taking a shot on with some legit hope of working out, albeit usually in 1-2 years ).    

Knowing Elway, though, he'll be super-tied to Lock and will get a total stopgap vet meant to keep the seat warm for Lock.   That was the whole idea for Siemian, it just so happened he was miles better than Lynch (but still not starter material).     I am one who totally gets the argument for the franchise QB as being worth it - but I have a sneaking suspicion with Geogia an outsider for the BCS, and Tua likely leaving 'Bama, that Fromm may in fact stay for 2021.   Add in the generational non-QB talent at the top of the draft, this is one year I don't mind if we pass Rd1 on QB, even if we don't have a clear answer there yet. 

Edited by Broncofan

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I'm totally OK with a 1-year guaranteed vet signing if it doesn't cost valuable picks (my main objection with Flacco was that he wasn't going to solve our problems AND he cost a 4th - it's not a guarantee you'll hit, but Rd 4 or early-5 (depending on the year) is generally the cutoff at which the talent is still very worth taking a shot on with some legit hope of working out, albeit usually in 1-2 years).    

In hindsight I wish we were willing to deal with Miami to get Ryan Tannehill for a lesser price. That being said I still don't hate the Flacco trade.