Rank each Position from Best to Worst for the Patriots

JohnCena

Our team is off to a solid start this year, and it seems like there isn't a weakness on the team. But how would you rank each position and highlight the positions of need. 
For me it goes like this.

1. Quarterback: I don't care what you want to say but when you have the GOAT Tom Brady playing for you at QB, it's always gonna be your number 1 position. 

2. Cornerbacks: Our Cornerback unit is solid with the best corner in the league Stephon Gilmore leading the group. Then we got Jason McCourty, Jonathon Jones, J.C. Jackson, and the rookie Joejuan Williams. That's the best Cornerback group in the league. And hey Jalen Ramsey may be joining that list soon too.B|

3. Safety: With Devin McCourty, Patrick Chung, and Duron Harmon are all studs they make up our stacked Safety position which I'll put just behind the Corners.

4. Running Back: We're not a team with 1 beast at RB but overall look at our depth chart and you realize damn no other team in the NFL has depth out of the backfield like us. We got Sony Michel who's still finding his footing in 2019 along with James White, Rex Burkhead, Brandon Bolden, and Damien Harris. Stacked RB group. 

5. Linebackers: Our linebacker core got even better with the addition of Jamie Collins who's been a beast so far. Kyle Van Noy and Donta Hightower have been solid for a while now too. I'll say not only do we have the best secondary in football we're up there with our linebackers too.

6. Offensive Line: Still a solid unit even with the absence of Isiah Wynn and David Andrews. Tedd Karras is doing an incredible job at Center and Marshall Newhouse props to him for adjusting so quickly he'll only get better. In New England with Dante Scarnecchia as our Offensive Line Coach we'll never have a bad O-Line still things to work on as with all the shuffling and absences of Andrews, Brown, and Gronk our run game has taken a bit of a hit. However these guys should build good chemistry and get that back on track by the time it really matters.

7. Wide Receivers: Just goes to show how stacked this team is if I'm putting WR with Edelman, Gordon, Doresett and soon to join Harry at #7. This group got better compared to last year and now Kansas City stands no chance against us in the playoffs. 

8. Defensive Line: Yeah we badly need some edge rushers who can get  to the QB. Bennett is washed up and Simon is mediocre at best. Sure these guys are doing great against the rush but we need to get more pressure on the QB without having to call a blitz. This is our biggest area of need even though it's not last on the list.

9. Tight End: Yeah we don't have great tight ends but man as long as they can block it's fine we got enough play makers at WR and RB to account for that. As long as we have a Tight End or two that can block and make the odd big play for now that's really all we need. An area of need but not as much as our Edge Rushers I'd say. 

We really only have two positions that if we could upgrade right now we'd upgrade. Stacked team can't wait to win #7.

CB/DB

QB

LB

RB

WR

DL

ST

OL

I think people are misreading the lack of DL stats as poor performance.  The gameplan so far has mostly been to use the DL purely for run and QB scramble contain, with QB pressure as a bonus.  Actual QB pressure + sacks are primarily being driven by our LB, which is why we've been putting Shelton + Butler up front so often.  

WR has definitely taken a hit with the injuries to Edelman, Gordon, and the loss of Brown.  Luckily Phillip Dorsett has apparently decided to start playing like Gordon Jr and is becoming a very reliable threat.  I'd like to see Dorsett evolve into a Gordon/Lafell hybrid style eventually but, his blocking needs more work.  RB corp from a pure run game perspective is really struggling due to how poor our OL is performing.  We're going to be seeing a lot of 2 RB sets with a mix of Bolden/White/Burkhead going forwards with Develin being moved to IR.  Michel is going to get carries but probably won't be able to do much with them this year.  

On the other hand, our defensive backs have gone full god-mode with 2x McCourty, Chung, Harmon, Jones, Gilmore, and JC Jackson.  I don't know who in the organization is scouting out all of these undrafted/late round picks but they need a promotion ASAP.  Even the CB's we've cut like Cre'van Leblanc, Darryl Roberts, and Justin Coleman turned out to be ballers.

Edited by bluemushrooms
swag
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Probably this. Maybe with DL above RB with Michel's apparent drop off

I agree although I wouldn't push the panic button with Michel yet. He started slow last year although for different reasons. But I'll wait and see how he does next couple of games. However our DL is sneaky good. Lots of different skillsets and it seems that Shelton and Adam Butler are really taking their game to a new level.

2 hours ago, SBLIII said:

I agree although I wouldn't push the panic button with Michel yet. He started slow last year although for different reasons. But I'll wait and see how he does next couple of games. However our DL is sneaky good. Lots of different skillsets and it seems that Shelton and Adam Butler are really taking their game to a new level.

I don't know if I'd say our DL is good so much as solid but being carried to victory by our LB corp.  But, we're treating our LBs almost as if they're DE's and part of the DL, you have to rank our DL higher.  Our RB's are still a great corp but, obviously hampered by OL injuries and inconsistency.  Michel has been running into walls.  Cannon back in the line might help as Shaq Mason seems to really be struggling with the loss of so Andrews + Cannon previously so, hopefully his return helps our run game.  You can bet we'll be running to the right with the return of Cannon who should lift Shaq's performance

On 9/25/2019 at 9:32 AM, bluemushrooms said:

I don't know if I'd say our DL is good so much as solid but being carried to victory by our LB corp.  But, we're treating our LBs almost as if they're DE's and part of the DL, you have to rank our DL higher.  Our RB's are still a great corp but, obviously hampered by OL injuries and inconsistency.  Michel has been running into walls.  Cannon back in the line might help as Shaq Mason seems to really be struggling with the loss of so Andrews + Cannon previously so, hopefully his return helps our run game.  You can bet we'll be running to the right with the return of Cannon who should lift Shaq's performance

Cannon was active last week vs. the Jets and played 97% of offensive snaps.