2019 WEEK 4 PACKERS vs eagles GAME DAY THREAD

Shanedorf

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

We are catching these guys at the best possible time ... please don't blow this opportunity, Packers!

If this was still an MM coached team, I could see this being a game we lose. Despite the offensive issues so far, don’t think we have to worry about a letdown happening with this staff.

From PackersWire

Packers lead NFL in takeaways, turnover differential after 3 games

The Packers have four interceptions and four recovered fumbles to start 2019. Two of the four interceptions came in the end zone in the fourth quarter of wins.

Turnovers have powered the Packers’ 3-0 start. Matt LaFleur’s team leads the NFL in turnover differential at plus-6, and the Packers are one of only five teams without an interception thrown in 2019.

usatsi_13403798.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 1

Quick turnaround at Lambeau - heck, the field is still wet from Flacco's blood and tears!  I hope somebody removed Lindsay's jockstrap, cuz I'm pretty sure he sprinted right out of it.  

Our guys should stay on a roll in this one, though, I'm sure Pederson and Wentz aren't just going to roll over for us.  24-14 Pack.

Edited by Sasquatch

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The other thing about the drive count is that we're playing our top edge guys and Clerk a very high percentage of snaps. If we're not careful, these guys are going to wear down very quickly. 

We need the offense to start rolling so we can get some Gary/Fackrell/Fadol snaps.

This has been my biggest concern so far.  Clark is playing 80% of the snaps, Z and Preston around 90%.  It's great how productive they've been, but there's no way these guys can keep averaging 60+ snaps a game without breaking down eventually.

Thing that's frustrating is that Fackrell has been good enough that I don't understand why they have him so low in the snap count.  I get that he may not be a high end starter, but he's too productive a player to only be playing 30% of the snaps while your starters are ground down.  Yeah, the games are close and the offense needs to give the defense more breathing room so the starters are less essential, but at least playing the vets you know can produce more often.

1 minute ago, MrBobGray said:

This has been my biggest concern so far.  Clark is playing 80% of the snaps, Z and Preston around 90%.  It's great how productive they've been, but there's no way these guys can keep averaging 60+ snaps a game without breaking down eventually.

Thing that's frustrating is that Fackrell has been good enough that I don't understand why they have him so low in the snap count.  I get that he may not be a high end starter, but he's too productive a player to only be playing 30% of the snaps while your starters are ground down.  Yeah, the games are close and the offense needs to give the defense more breathing room so the starters are less essential, but at least playing the vets you know can produce more often.

My guess is the coaching staff hopes those numbers will go down as our schedule eases up. It seems like we've needed every single snap those guys have taken thus far. 

from PackersNews

Basics on the Eagles

Last week

The Eagles dropped their second straight heartbreaker, losing 27-24 to the Detroit Lions at home after J.J. Arcega-Whiteside dropped a potential game-winning touchdown pass on fourth down with 49 seconds left. Carson Wentz was sacked three times and attempted just 16 passes in the loss while the Eagles' defense held the Lions to only 152 yards of total offense.

Schemes

Eagles head coach Doug Pederson, a former backup quarterback in Green Bay from 1996-98 and 2001-04, has his roots in the West Coast offense. But he came up in coaching under Andy Reid and the Kansas City version of that system has pushed the envelope and is more multiple and dynamic with motions, different personnel groupings and the occasional “specialty” play.

Defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz is very familiar with Aaron Rodgers, having game-planned against him when Schwartz was the head coach of the Lions from 2009-13. Schwartz runs a base 4-3 and likes to bring pressure from different areas.

Wentz and this offense have turned it over five times the last two weeks and they’re a middle-of-the-pack group at No. 13 overall — but they’ve still scored 76 points. They will provide the best test to date of the Packers’ second-ranked scoring unit.

After looking good against Washington in Week 1 (and let’s face it, Mitch Trubisky looked good against Washington), Wentz has struggled. Part of it is his top two receivers in Jackson and Jeffery are banged up. Part of it has been the six times he’s been sacked in two weeks. Part of it is a middling run game. But it all adds up to some fits and spurts for a quarterback who has yet to regain the consistent, MVP-like form he showed in 2017.

Rob Demovsky:

If Aaron Rodgers has lost any mobility at this stage of his career -- and that's an if -- Eagles coach Doug Pederson says Rodgers can still beat you with his brain and his arm.

"Well, as we know with quarterbacks, they get a little bit older and we know he’s gone through some injury," Pederson said on a conference call. "It may have him slowed him down a step that way from moving, but he still has a brain and he still has an arm and he can beat you with both. It’s hard to get to Aaron Rodgers. He gets the ball out of his hand so fast and so quick, and he’s so intelligent at the line of scrimmage being able to kick the ball to the perimeter at any time. Even these first three games, he’s not getting hit and he’s staying healthy and that’s a plus to him and a credit to his O-line."

ProFootball Focus sent me an article about the O-line, through three games.

Interesting stuff...

Packers rank...7'th.  Here's their quick write up...."While right tackle Bryan Bulaga is technically the highest-graded offensive lineman for the Packers, the most impressive performance has come from left guard Elgton Jenkins. After taking over at left guard for Lane Tayler, Jenkins has allowed only one pressure on 38 pass-blocking snaps for an 84.0 grade in that regard."

Our opponent on Thursday, the Eagles, are #2.  Here's their quick write up...."What Eagles guard Brandon Brooks has been able to do after suffering a torn Achilles in their divisional loss to the Saints last January is nothing short of remarkable. He was given an 8-9 month recovery prognosis – the upper bound of which would have meant him coming back after the start of this season – and despite that has been the highest-graded guard in the league so far."

We know that games are won and loss in the trenches, well, the offensive trenches appear solid for both.

• Like 1

Peter Bukowski: 

The Ertz question is particularly interesting because of how well the Packers defense otherwise matches up with Philly's skill guys.

King and Alshon
Jaire and Agholor

You shouldn't need to help significantly off your CBs, so do you give Tramon Ertz? Josh Jackson?

Rob Demovsky:

When Aaron Rodgers says Davante Adams needs more than the four targets he had Sunday and Matt LaFleur says he always wants to get his playmakers involved, what happens next? Said LaFleur: "You attack the coverage; hopefully you guess right and put guys in the right spots." LaFleur said he doesn't believe in force-feeding anyone the ball, and he said Adams has been great about it.

(Thought this an interesting exchange given the discussions in here.......)

Peter Bukowski: 

Wonder how Dallas Goedert affects the way Philly plays this week. They showed up in a lot of 3WR 1 TE sets against the Lions which would let the Packers play nickel.

We saw Josh Jackson play some safety in the nickel against the Broncos and against a team like the Eagles who have Zach Ertz, it makes sense to play Jackson in that nickel look this week as well.

One thing the Lions did against this Eagles offense was affect the underneath zone. They had defenders there to take away the crossing routes and mesh concepts Philly can kill teams with. Blake Martinez is much better in those areas than having to take deep drops.

Peter Bukowski: 

If the Patriots were playing the Eagles this week, they'd let Tom Brady throw it 60 times.

Philly is 4th in run defense DVOA and 22nd vs. the pass with 3 healthy NFL CBs now.

This is when we find out how flexible Matt LaFleur is. Just let Aaron Rodgers sling it.

• Like 1