MLB 2019 Playoffs

Leader

3 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Eh. I think the Twins far exceeded expectations while the Yankees were expected to be here. The Twins also dealt with a number of significant injuries all year. They weren’t the big names like the Yankees, but Buxton missing most of the second half, with Cruz, Kepler, Cron, and MarGo missing time and playing hurt is a testament to a rookie manager. I don’t think it’s as lopsided as you are suggesting. 

That said, I think both are deserving.

The Yankees had every starter besides Torres lemeihue (who might not have been a full time starter if andujar didn’t go down) and Gardner miss time. Severino came back in September, Betances came back for an inning in September and got hurt again, Stanton had what 3 homers all year? Judge missed 60 games. If that was said to anyone before the season started they would’ve said zero shot Yankees made the playoffs. They were getting carried by the likes of Mike Ford, Mike Tauchman, Cameron Maybin, hell even Thairo Estrada (sp?) at times. I’ve never seen a team so snake bitten by injuries in my life, this definitely the most resilient Yankees team I’ve ever seen. Like i said though, that might be more of a Cashman thing than a Boone thing.

17 hours ago, Slateman said:

Is it weird that I think the Nats have a really good chance against the Dodgers?  Dodgers are going to rely heavily on their starters, and the Nats hitters thrive when they get to see the opposing pitcher a second and third time through. 

I am thinking the same thing. I am a giants fan though, and I just want to see the team that shall not be named lose so much that maybe I am lying to myself or something, idk 

I was pissed the other night until I realized that the nats roster is certainly better than the Brewers roster. I was focused so much on the bullpen but maybe they can pull it together and just be average or something. 

I also hate how they burned their two best pitchers but at least Straus should go game 2. They certainly have the firepower at the plate to keep up or take back leads if the pen blows it. Just have to keep adding on if you get a lead 

2 hours ago, N4L said:

I am thinking the same thing. I am a giants fan though, and I just want to see the team that shall not be named lose so much that maybe I am lying to myself or something, idk 

I was pissed the other night until I realized that the nats roster is certainly better than the Brewers roster. I was focused so much on the bullpen but maybe they can pull it together and just be average or something. 

I also hate how they burned their two best pitchers but at least Straus should go game 2. They certainly have the firepower at the plate to keep up or take back leads if the pen blows it. Just have to keep adding on if you get a lead 

It's okay. I'm a Nats fan. We lie to ourselves all the time.

On 10/1/2019 at 11:36 PM, JDBrocks said:

I didn’t say that the Boone didn’t do a great job. No one expected the Twins to do this with a healthy roster. Baldelli is just as deserving.

What makes you so sure it should be attributed to Baldelli and not that the players played better than they were supposed to?

Any arguments regarding MOY are meaningless because NO ONE knows how to measure or attribute manager impact at even a rudimentary level.

2 minutes ago, mse326 said:

What makes you so sure it should be attributed to Baldelli and not that the players played better than they were supposed to?

Any arguments regarding MOY are meaningless because NO ONE knows how to measure or attribute manager impact at even a rudimentary level.

Voters vote on it, and these are the typical arguments used for the award. Also, the players themselves said that his style and culture shift was one of the big differences this year. 

I agree that managerial influence is difficult if not impossible to quantify. IMO the hierarchy is players, front office, then manager. 

6 hours ago, N4L said:

Fear not. Push comes to shove (and if necessary), the NYY will take care of said nameless team for you.
TB took out OAK (who actually had the better season record against HOU) - so its up to them to take out HOU somehow.
We're gonna get past MN somehow. Then we'll settle the family business with TB (who we've played about 100 times already).

Post season team batting averages: 

NYY   .297
STL   .286
HOU  .284
ATL  .258
MN   .197
LAD  .190
TB     .188   (*)
WA    .185  (*)

(*) Three games

Home runs:

TB 4