Redskins Postgame

dll2000

Thoughts and Observations Week 3

-Washington is a bad defense, but they do not have some players who can play the game, so I do not think finally getting the offense going against them is a hollow victory.

-This was a much better game plan from Nagy and we started to see more WRs that were schemed open, more mismatches, and more defenders put in bad positions. I did not like how conservative they were in the 3rd quarter, but he is playing to win the game and not have a huge offensive game and in tight games that will be useful.

-Mitch was good. He wasn't perfect. But, if we are going to kill him when he is bad then we should give him credit when he was good. I only had issues with 2 throws and those were the interception, obviously that was a hideous throw and the deep in cut to Montgomery in the 2nd quarter that he air mailed. It was nice to see him be more aggressive and we can only hope that this gets his mojo going and we can build off of it. If this is the base performance [obviously not the stat line], but how he played that would be super positive. Still needs to get his mechanics tightened up and get a little more consistent.

-David Montgomery is good. The OL is bad. Imagine what he would do with actual holes and not guys just standing up at the line and getting pushed around.

-The Bears need to get Tarik Cohen more involved. They are handing him the ball more, but where are those super effective option routes out of the backfield? The move he put on Landon Collins was mean spirited.

-Finally, another Bears WR showed some life. Gabriel had a nice game and the catch in the end zone was really nice work. That connection needs to continue to develop.

-Allen Robinson is so good in the middle of the field. I like what Nagy did moving him around early and using him short and early to get Mitch dialed in and string some completions together.

-Anthony Miller go up with 2 hands. The deep sideline throw on the free play could have been a better ball, but a lot of WRs in the league make that catch. Dive, go out with 2 hands, make a play and help out your QB. He did the same thing later on a 15 yard deep out route where Mitch probably hummed to fast a pass in there, but 1 hand gave him no shot.

-Give me more Javon Wims please. Trubisky seems to trust him and the huge catch radius is something the Bears can use in tight situations.

-I will comment more on the OL when I re-watch the game, but first impressions.

-Charles Leno was better, but he started at worst player on offense not named Mitch so an improvement was the base of what we could expect.

-I am starting to questions this Whitehair-Daniels switch. On paper it made sense, but neither has looked as good as they did last season. But they did it and are pot committed now.

-Kyle Long has been bad this season. He was unwatchable bad last night. He was routinely abused by Ionnadis in the passing game and in the run game missed defenders and was pulling late in the game like a broken mule limping around. He might be done.

-I was mad when Cornelius Lucas made the team, but he was solid last night. Ryan Kerrigan is a legit pass rusher and we did not hear a ton from him.

-Trey Burton with a little life. This is where I think the most improvement can come from on offense as he gets more involved.

Defense

-The penalties are getting a little ridiculous. Prince especially with a really rough start to the season.

-Khalil Mack dominated that game. I am not sure what else to write. He is better than everyone else on the field. The way he varies his speed and then hits the burst and bend isn't human.

-Leonard Floyd is consistently dominating OTs and creating on defense. No sacks last night, but close on a ton and consistent disruption. I thought it was hilarious when Booger was like, "I would run at 94" and I laughed because that has always been one of his strengths that he can stack and shed.

-Irving just isn't athletic enough. There was a long Chris Thompson screen in the 4th quarter that he red perfectly and was just not athletic enough to get to the ball carrier and even get a hand on him.

-Aaron Lynch continues to be a solid #3 OLB. The offside was close and he is a big physical dude that offers a different look to Floyd.

-This was a quiet game for Roquan and I would like to see Pagano put him in a position to make more big plays. I know he is really good in coverage, but I cannot remember a single blitz by him this season.

-What a game from Trevathan. These are the games where I am not sure you let him walk in the offseason. The sack was awesome, the huge play on 4th down was exceptional and he continues to be the physical hammer next to Roquan's speed.

-I would like Kyle Fuller to continue to play the technique that allows him to pick off a ton of passes and allow low passer ratings.

-Prince has had a rough start to the beginning of the season.

-Ha Ha Clinton-Dix looks like a player. His ability to read the QB and break on the ball looked really good yesterday and obviously he can catch the ball and run with it. I think this is an interesting development to the defense. They now have a rangy interception threat on both sides of the defense. That makes it far more dangerous to throw the ball up when being pressured or trying tight window down field throws.

-Eddie Jackson looks angry this season. He looks way more physical and like he has been unleashed to come down field.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Long was beyond bad. Might be the worst performance by a Bears OLmen I have ever rewatched.

Maybe I'm reading into it too much but something seems up with him this year.  He looks a little disinterested and not his usual rah rah self.  Maybe all the injuries over the years have taken their toll and he's mentally done in addition to being physically worn out.  I'm just speculating but again something just doesn't seem right with him.

Looks like OG will be a priority come draft time.

Watching Mack & Floyd in this game was special...I am already starting to become concerned that we will lose Floyd to a team who will offer him huge money...dude might not be gettign a ton of sacks but he is beating OTs all ends up...this is exactly the sort of guy teams target in FA.

• Like 2