Redskins Postgame

dll2000

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Okay this might be the coolest thing of 2019 football:

I call it the Garth Algar.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Watching Mack & Floyd in this game was special...I am already starting to become concerned that we will lose Floyd to a team who will offer him huge money...dude might not be gettign a ton of sacks but he is beating OTs all ends up...this is exactly the sort of guy teams target in FA.

I've been assuming he was going to get paid elsewhere since this offseason. OLBs that offer versatility were getting big deals, he is going to get one too IMO.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dll2000 said:

So true.

I was listening to the Around The NFL podcast this morning and this was the exact situation when they were recapping Monday night. One of the guys said "you get no lollipops for not passing for 300 yards against the Redskins" and they were killing Mitch. A week ago they were gushing about Prescott's performance and saying he's starting to look like the QB who deserves the money he wanted in the off-season. Comparing the two:

Dak vs Washington: 26/30, 269 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT

Mitch vs Washington: 25/31, 231 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT

Don't let facts get in the way of a good narrative though. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RJ_11 said:

I was listening to the Around The NFL podcast this morning and this was the exact situation when they were recapping Monday night. One of the guys said "you get no lollipops for not passing for 300 yards against the Redskins" and they were killing Mitch. A week ago they were gushing about Prescott's performance and saying he's starting to look like the QB who deserves the money he wanted in the off-season. Comparing the two:

People love to build narratives around their players. Dak is nothing special.

10 hours ago, RJ_11 said:

While I agree with your premise, there’s subtlety here that isn’t apparent when comparing 1 game’s worth of stats. Dak is pretty established and so gets the benefit of the doubt because he’s no longer trying to prove he’s a viable NFL QB.

The way the stats are accumulated matters too. Right now the Bears are heavily reliant on a short passing game designed to give MT easy completions. If that continues, such performances may not be sustainable against better teams.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

While I agree with your premise, there’s subtlety here that isn’t apparent when comparing 1 game’s worth of stats. Dak is pretty established and so gets the benefit of the doubt because he’s no longer trying to prove he’s a viable NFL QB.

The way the stats are accumulated matters too. Right now the Bears are heavily reliant on a short passing game designed to give MT easy completions. If that continues, such performances may not be sustainable against better teams.

There are subtleties that favor Dak as well. Their OL is far better than ours, Zeke is an elite RB while Nagy barely uses Montgomery, and their use of Zeke allows them to be more unpredictable whereas Nagy had Tru pass over 30 consecutive times. That alone makes it sound like Kellen Moore is a superior playcaller to Nagy ATM as well.

I don't think it is even an argument that Dak is better than Tru right now, it is obvious he is better. But if comparing subtleties it is important to look from both sides.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

There are subtleties that favor Dak as well. Their OL is far better than ours, Zeke is an elite RB while Nagy barely uses Montgomery, and their use of Zeke allows them to be more unpredictable whereas Nagy had Tru pass over 30 consecutive times. That alone makes it sound like Kellen Moore is a superior playcaller to Nagy ATM as well.

I don't think it is even an argument that Dak is better than Tru right now, it is obvious he is better. But if comparing subtleties it is important to look from both sides.

It's funny because just two seasons ago Dak was not very highly thought of and now all of a sudden you give him some good weapons at WR and a great o-line/RB and he's balling.

Let's keep some perspective though, so far the Cowboys have played the Giants, Deadskins and Dolphins which are  3 pretty putrid defenses. Let's see how he does against the upper echelon teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

It's funny because just two seasons ago Dak was not very highly thought of and now all of a sudden you give him some good weapons at WR and a great o-line/RB and he's balling.

Let's keep some perspective though, so far the Cowboys have played the Giants, Deadskins and Dolphins which are  3 pretty putrid defenses. Let's see how he does against the upper echelon teams.

Absolutely. I was a fan of his and drafted him before Jerry did in my real-time draft, so I am a bit biased. But I think he is an average starter at least in this league. The talk of him being in the top 8 is way too rich to me atm though. 

Various stats and observations 

% of accurate passes by week:
WK 1: 63.0%
WK 2: 66.6%
WK 3: 80.6% 

% of inaccurate passes by week: 
WK 1: 28.2%
WK 2: 33.3%
WK 3: 16.1%

% of interceptable passes by week: 
WK 1: 7.1% (3)
WK 2: 3.7% (1)
WK 3: 3.3% (1)

Mitch's has attempted 34 passes against the blitz this year, which is the 5th most in the league. He completed 58.8%(20) of them for 162 yards and 2 TDs. He also has the 5th highest interceptable pass % against the blitz out of all 25 qualifying QB's (min 50 att). 

• Nagy has called a pass play out of the PA 16 times this season and all of them have been on early downs.

• People keep blaming Mitch for his low YPA but no mention of Nagy's route concepts. 

Robinson has been targeted 26 times and has a med tgt depth of just 9.0 (This was 14.0 in wk1 and 14.5 in wk2)
Gabriel has been targeted 14 times and has a med tgt depth of just 8.5 (This was 9.0 in wk1 and 10.0 in wk2)
A Mill has been targeted 4 times and has a med tgt depth of -1.0 <----This is not a typo
Burton has been targeted 7 times and has a med tgt of 0.0 <----This is not a typo

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Various stats and observations 

% of accurate passes by week:
WK 1: 63.0%
WK 2: 66.6%
WK 3: 80.6% 

% of inaccurate passes by week: 
WK 1: 28.2%
WK 2: 33.3%
WK 3: 16.1%

% of interceptable passes by week: 
WK 1: 7.1% (3)
WK 2: 3.7% (1)
WK 3: 3.3% (1)

Mitch's has attempted 34 passes against the blitz this year, which is the 5th most in the league. He completed 58.8%(20) of them for 162 yards and 2 TDs. He also has the 5th highest interceptable pass % against the blitz out of all 25 qualifying QB's (min 50 att). 

• Nagy has called a pass play out of the PA 16 times this season and all of them have been on early downs.

• People keep blaming Mitch for his low YPA but no mention of Nagy's route concepts. 

Robinson has been targeted 26 times and has a med tgt depth of just 9.0 (This was 14.0 in wk1 and 14.5 in wk2)
Gabriel has been targeted 14 times and has a med tgt depth of just 8.5 (This was 9.0 in wk1 and 10.0 in wk2)
A Mill has been targeted 4 times and has a med tgt depth of -1.0 <----This is not a typo
Burton has been targeted 7 times and has a med tgt of 0.0 <----This is not a typo

Really interesting. Thank you for posting