Week 4 GDT: Jacksonville Jaguars @ Denver Broncos

Joe_is_the_best

@BroncoBruin, thought you were talking about Chris Harris.

@Broncofan, that’s on Fangio then.  Shelby Harris was so damn good last year disrupting plays and getting after the QB.  He’s supposed to be a defensive genius and if he can’t get Harris into those types of situations that’s concerning.  Prior to the season if someone had told me that Miller/Chubb would both be without a sack after 3 games I’d have said Shelby Harris would be feasting on QBs with the attention Miller/Chubb were getting.  Instead Harris has been a ghost.  I don’t even think he’s on the field in passing situations the majority of the time, which is baffling as that is his strength. 

13 minutes ago, germ-x said:

@BroncoBruin, thought you were talking about Chris Harris.

@Broncofan, that’s on Fangio then.  Shelby Harris was so damn good last year disrupting plays and getting after the QB.  He’s supposed to be a defensive genius and if he can’t get Harris into those types of situations that’s concerning.  Prior to the season if someone had told me that Miller/Chubb would both be without a sack after 3 games I’d have said Shelby Harris would be feasting on QBs with the attention Miller/Chubb were getting.  Instead Harris has been a ghost.  I don’t even think he’s on the field in passing situations the majority of the time, which is baffling as that is his strength. 

Zero argument on Harris.   And FTR, the Fangio scheme has put Chubb into the Mack role and Von into the Leonard Floyd role - which is why in the preseason, so many beat reporters thought that Chubb was going to have a 2nd year breakout (as you know, I like Chubb, but I've had major doubts he can be the alpha, just a very good Robin to an alpha Batman like Von - and I'd still have said we should have popped QB then, but what's done is done).   

Now I'm not putting this all on Fangio - like CHJ said, at some point, the players have to execute.  But in Shelby's case, you have to be on the field to execute.  So yeah...on Fangio & the D coaching staff for sure.

Edited by Broncofan

8 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

The scheme really isn't that great for our pass rusher IMO. Chubb isn't nearly as flexible or explosive as Mack and Floyd at this point is much better in space than Von. IMO that, along with the apathy that has overcome Von after 3+ seasons of pure suck, is whats wrong with the pass rush.

Re: Chubb, that's always been the knock.  High effort, technique, motor - but not explosive in short-area burst, and not the same type of bend.   We'll see.

The news doesn't get any better - the reason why Callahan was cheap for a young and effective CB (even in the slot mostly) - injury risk.  Doh.   At least the contract is cheap, so if he can get healthy, value return still possible over the life of the deal - but man, this bites.   And no IR earlier on, which sucks, because frankly, a guy like Riddick is wasted over using IR-return early on Callahan & Lock (or Jones & Lock, etc.).

28 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

If Callahan misses enough time, it could upgrade one of our comp picks. 

Take your time, Bryce. 

OTC has it in detail, for those that aren't clear how it works, this link has it in more digestible format:

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/2/15/16986122/the-5-oclock-club-redskins-compensatory-picks-nfl

The key part is the APY value is really the starting point.  Pro Bowls and playing time only make a difference if the contract is large enough.   I guess that's why Shaq Barrett's won't amount to much more even if he makes the Pro Bowl, since his APY isn't a needle-mover to have him leap into the end of Rd4, for example, instead of a end-of-5th/end-of-6th.

But yeah, if Callahan misses more than half the games, his 7M APY goes way down, well below Barrett's.  The same actually applies to Juwan James too.  So Paradis & Roby's contracts, provided they start a full set of games, could really net us a better return.  It sucks though, that our 2 best young FA acquisitions we have to almost hope they don't play as much - but that's life when rebuilding is your only viable route.

Each qualifying free agent must be assigned a value based on his contract, playing time and postseason honors, and that value corresponds to a round in the draft.

• Start with the actual APY of the contract signed.
  • Subtract from the actual APY any money that the compensatory formula does not count. It has been determined that workout bonuses, incentives, and salary escalators are the most common money figures that the compensatory formula does not count.
  • Adjust the APY by applying a coefficient based upon the percentage of offensive or defensive snaps the player took in his first year under the contract.
  • Apply a positive coefficient to each UFA that obtained postseason honors
Edited by Broncofan

No Callahan, Jackson iffy, Yiadom isn’t ready yet.   Up to Bausby & Duke Dawson to step up if Jackson can’t go and Yiadom is bubble-wrapped.  

Minshew Mania could live another week.   Dede Westbrook has struggled but Chris Conley & DJ Chark have really stepped up. If our pass rush doesn’t get to Minshew it could be a loooong day. 

19 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Excited to see Duke Dawson on the field, and at the position everyone pegged him for as a prospect. No clue what we'll see. He could be a nothing or a building block that allows them to save money and draft capital at the position. 

Agreed.  Whether or not Elway admits it the rebuild needs to begin.  I thought Bausby looked decent last week, him and Dawson being players would be huge if we didn’t have to replace 3 starting DBs

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

No Callahan, Jackson iffy, Yiadom isn’t ready yet.   Up to Bausby & Duke Dawson to step up if Jackson can’t go and Yiadom is bubble-wrapped.  

Minshew Mania could live another week.   Dede Westbrook has struggled but Chris Conley & DJ Chark have really stepped up. If our pass rush doesn’t get to Minshew it could be a loooong day. 

Last two weeks were against two decent/solid defenses, Houston and Tennessee. Minshews touch/accuracy has been pretty nuts thus far.