Week 1 GDT - ATLANTA FALCONS @ CHICAGO BEARS

chisoxguy7

Hey guys just a few comments from a Falcon fan. (Not going to focus on my own team, just what I think are strengths in your team and some possible weaknesses)

I was very impressed with your Dline. Completely negated our run and you should be impressed with that as I don't think a team managed to do that last season. The field also definitely helped bring our teams athleticism on par, but that is a minor point. Overall I was very impressed. John Fox is very solid coach and you could see that in your preparedness today. If I was a Bears fan I would be extremely pleased with the direction of the team. I think you will cause Green Bay a few problems. 

On the O side of the ball. Well I was super impressed with Cohen and they way he burnt around our D. He is going to be a brilliant runner for a long time. Howard was solid and I know some of you were disappointed in his performance, but you need to remember there wasn't much of a passing attack. Glennon also for some reason always does really well against us and then terrible the week after. 

Overall I think your team played very well considering the limitations to your pass attack and as a fan I think it would be great to win some games, but another solid draft with a couple of top line players is also probably more important for the continued progress of your team. 

Well done guys and I think the future is looking much brighter for your team. 

where to start?  WR - Fitting end to Kevin White's career.  But even in the game he was not getting open.  WR core better with Bellamy then white.  Secondly,  Its never too early to start looking at potential free agent WRs and 2018 WR draft prospects.  Trading for Laundry would be a waste of a pick. Its inevitable that the dolphins don't sign laundry.  why give up a draft pick for a player that will be their next year. 

QB - I felt glennon had some external factors holding him back in this game.  Play calling/we have no NFL caliber WRs.  But these are only minor factors to his overall performance.  One thing is for certain the bears are going to get their money's worth out of glennon.

RB - the bears have a great pair of backs that perfectly fit each other strength's and weaknesses.  Howard got the tough yards the grind them out yards and then cohen comes off the bench and gashes the defense.  also kudos to pace for having the vision to pick Cohen when it was easy to dismiss him because of his size and small school.  both Howard and Cohen have been great picks by pace.

OL - opened up some holes for the back didn't get their very immobile QB killed.  what more needs to be said

DL- was a pleasure to watch this group. the sacks the runs stuffs.  the bears were more physical then the falcons OL.  bears won the battle in the trenches the whole game. 

LB-  solid

DB - I know people will get hung up on the hooper plays but overall a good improvement from last season.  bears have professionals back there and you can see the difference. 

Overall the even with the bad plays to hooper the bears D did their job and gave the offense and the team a chance to win it at the end.  holding Atlanta to 23 point and setting up your team for the win is something the defenses of the past 5 or 6 years have not been able to do.

This game is what the season has in store for the bears.  good games close games where the bears running attack and defense keep them in the game but ultimately they don't have enough juice to win.  bears win 5 or 6 games pick somewhere from 6 -12 in the draft.    

As for the future the arrow is pointing up for this team.  a good defense that should maintain this level of play for several seasons an unbelievable running attack.  Pace will attack the WR position in the off season with multiple players.  A couple mid tier free agent followed by a draft pick and with Trubisky in 2018 the bears have themselves a playoff team.   

A day later, while most of the talk is about QB play, the part that bothers me is we're now in the 5th consecutive season of DBs not getting the call on key 4th quarter 3rd downs.

This problem has now transcended player personnel and coaching staff, and it's maddening.

1 hour ago, IronMike84 said:

A day later, while most of the talk is about QB play, the part that bothers me is we're now in the 5th consecutive season of DBs not getting the call on key 4th quarter 3rd downs.

This problem has now transcended player personnel and coaching staff, and it's maddening.

For some reason that last sentence gave me Emery flashbacks.  "We want players who transcend scheme!"

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

It was a positive showing for the Bears but it was maddening to see the team not punch it in from 5 yards in 4 plays.  The biggest mistake for me was not having Cohen in the game until 4th down. Atl had no answer for him he should have been in that entire set of downs imo

I don't think that was necessarily a mistake since there were two dropped TD passes before that, if either one is caught then it is a completely different game. 

2 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

I don't think that was necessarily a mistake since there were two dropped TD passes before that, if either one is caught then it is a completely different game. 

Howard dropped more passes than any rb in the league last year.  Not javing your most dynamic playmaker on the field, in that situation is a mistake.

First chance I have had to see the game in full...couple of things really stood out especially after watching the coaches film...

Glennon wasn't gun shy about pushing the ball down the field...it was simply that there was no one down field...he wasn't just checking it down because he didn't want to throw it deeper but because everyone was running such shallow routes...we need to find a guy who can simply run a fly route to open up defences and let guys like Cohen who could be special and Wright and Sims who both played well get a little more room...

For all the talk of promoting Tanner Gentry the best bet for a WR stepping up on this roster right now is Bellamy...he did very well on that final drive and I'm not going to call the one he didn't haul in for a TD a drop...that is a tough catch for any WR especially when you re being held...he looks like our best outside receiver right now...as troubling as that is to say...

Say some of you guys getting on at Jordan Howard a little but I don't see it...dude still averaged 4 yards per carry against a Dan Quinn D which only got better from last year and didn't need to worry about getting beat deep...that is tough sledding for any RB...I want to see Howard carry the rock at least 20 times a game tho...

Defensively it was the same story as always...killed by a TE...we just haven't learned that they knew flex TEs have to be game planned for...Hooper isn't special but he is good enough where if you don't cover him he will kill you and TEs have been killing us since Urlacher left...we need to find an ILB or SS who can actually match up with these guys cause every team in football must be seeing it's an easy win against us...

Outside of the two big breakdowns the D played well again against what was the 7th best offence of all time last season and hasn't changed that much...the 1st half especially you could see they were getting gassed especially up front where DL depth is still a concern...as is the OLB play even with Floyd having two nice stuffs in the backfield against a quality RB duo...

All in all we looked like a professional football team who will stay in games and sneak up on a few...still predicting a long season tho with a major lack of playmakers on the outside at WR and at OLB and DB where we need to create some turnovers.

Archived