Player Appreciation Thread

RaidersAreOne

On 10/12/2019 at 1:41 PM, NYRaider said:

I'm starting to love Foster Moreau and Alec Ingold. I didn't really have expectations for either guy coming into the season but they've both played a key role in our last two wins. It's clear that our identity is going to be a smash-mouth, running football team. Ingold and Moreau are both very good blockers and have that nastiness you need in a smash-mouth offense. Mike Mayock is already paying dividends with pickups like these. It's not always about superstar players, having good role players that fit the system can also make a huge difference as we're seeing with these two guys. 

2 lunch pal guys you want on your team. Moreau is already a solid TE2, he was going out and snatching the ball in the air. Ingold a bulldozer FB. Solid player 

59 minutes ago, true2form said:

That's as much about the defense as the offense. Just like turnovers.

Although Carr is lacking in that department I think that stat needs more context regarding the defense.  I would like to know how many the defense has given up and also what happened to our offense the possession before the play before I lay all this blame on Carr.  If the D keeps giving up big plays after the offense can not stay on the field then  more blame is placed at the feet of Carr. Also the differential in games we won I am not overly concerned about because we executed our game plan and teams are making big plays, not huge,  while we play soft on defense and running out the clock.  If we are down and Carr is still refusing to stretch the field then that is a problem.

Edited by drfrey13

11 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Although Carr is lacking in that department I think that stat needs more context regarding the defense.  I would like to know how many the defense has given up and also what happened to our offense the possession before the play before I lay all this blame on Carr.  If the D keeps giving up big plays after the offense can not stay on the field then  more blame is placed at the feet of Carr. Also the differential in games we won I am not overly concerned about because we executed our game plan and teams are making big plays, not huge,  while we play soft on defense and running out the clock.  If we are down and Carr is still refusing to stretch the field then that is a problem.

I agree, was just stating it's a total team stat.

Why is Y/A a stat that people care about? I feel like this is a new thing stat that has started to matter in the last 3ish years. Never when I played QB (late 90's - Early 2000's) was I ever made aware of my Y/A. Never when I worked with Ourlads, George or when I worked with the Raiders did I ever hear about Y/A.

Even hearing it; yards per attempt sounds like a pointless stat, a QB on a team that is consistently trailing in games will throw more passes, and more risky passes, meaning he will probably complete less. Raising Attempts and effectively lowering the % of completing those passes therefore lowering the yards, will skew those stats.

8 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

Why is Y/A a stat that people care about? I feel like this is a new thing stat that has started to matter in the last 3ish years. Never when I played QB (late 90's - Early 2000's) was I ever made aware of my Y/A. Never when I worked with Ourlads, George or when I worked with the Raiders did I ever hear about Y/A.

Even hearing it; yards per attempt sounds like a pointless stat, a QB on a team that is consistently trailing in games will throw more passes, and more risky passes, meaning he will probably complete less. Raising Attempts and effectively lowering the % of completing those passes therefore lowering the yards, will skew those stats.

I think it’s because of the rise of screen plays. Many people feel there’s a correlation between y/a and arm strength. QBs with strong arms will attempt big throws whereas QBs with weak arms will stick with shorter passes. It’s great when you scout but it doesn’t mean that in the NFL because Carr is a fairly good deep thrower but for whatever reason he throws short of the sticks. 

1 hour ago, Chali21 said:

I think it’s because of the rise of screen plays. Many people feel there’s a correlation between y/a and arm strength. QBs with strong arms will attempt big throws whereas QBs with weak arms will stick with shorter passes. It’s great when you scout but it doesn’t mean that in the NFL because Carr is a fairly good deep thrower but for whatever reason he throws short of the sticks. 

Ok but if you attempt 15 deep bombs but connect on 1. But connect on 14 short passes your Y/A will be low despite taking alot of shots.

Yard gained per pass attempt is the most worthless stat in the NFL IMO. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OG_C2X said:

Personally, most look at it because it accurately shows what we see with the eye test on Carr for years. A low risk, take what the defense gives you check down option QB.

48 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Personally, most look at it because it accurately shows what we see with the eye test on Carr for years. A low risk, take what the defense gives you check down option QB.

Carr's comp coming out of college by the majority of people was Brett Favre. He was known as a gunslinger who will throw some picks but also make the big play and make up for it. I think what you are seeing is Carr's growth and understand of not just HIS game but how to win in the NFL and that all started with Gruden. He said it at the press conference on Tuesday. He said he started to get excited about the running game. Controlling/Dictating how the game goes. Not taking 50 shots a game trying to get big fantasy stats. 

Carr isn't the most accurate passer past 25 yards. His Deep ball floats a little, it isn't his strong suit. There isn't anything wrong with that.

The narrative that the NFL is a big play league is so misguided... its what the fans like to see. But the NFL is a control driven league. Win the turnover battle, control the T.O.P. giving the opposing offense less drives, and controlling the game flow to match your game plan. That is how you win in the NFL.

7 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

Carr's comp coming out of college by the majority of people was Brett Favre. He was known as a gunslinger who will throw some picks but also make the big play and make up for it. I think what you are seeing is Carr's growth and understand of not just HIS game but how to win in the NFL and that all started with Gruden. He said it at the press conference on Tuesday. He said he started to get excited about the running game. Controlling/Dictating how the game goes. Not taking 50 shots a game trying to get big fantasy stats. 

Carr isn't the most accurate passer past 25 yards. His Deep ball floats a little, it isn't his strong suit. There isn't anything wrong with that.

The narrative that the NFL is a big play league is so misguided... its what the fans like to see. But the NFL is a control driven league. Win the turnover battle, control the T.O.P. giving the opposing offense less drives, and controlling the game flow to match your game plan. That is how you win in the NFL.

I understand ball control offense. But when your in 3rd down throwing short of the sticks, it gets old. When you're losing by 2+ scores and dinking throws it's frustrating.