Player Appreciation Thread

RaidersAreOne

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Hankins is really good in these clips, also PJ Hall doing work also.

Hopefully Hall can make a leap this year. From a physical profile standpoint he's one of the most athletic and explosive DT's in the league plus he's the D2 all-time sack leader. He was definitely a reach in the 2nd round but this is also only going to be his 3rd year playing DT and he made a huge leap in competition from Sam Houston State to the NFL. 

On 3/9/2020 at 2:08 PM, Jerry said:

I look forward to him competing next year.  I remember reading some good things about him.

The staff and Mayock are really high on him. He only played 14 snaps last season but hopefully he can stay healthy. Like Crosby he was arguably the most physically gifted player at his position in the draft last year from a H/W/S perspective. He just has a huge learning curve only having played two years at CB in college and then missing his entire rookie season.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dessie said:

Hankins is really good in these clips, also PJ Hall doing work also.

Exactly. Hall had tremendous growth last season as a run defender. He gets underrated by this forum and his own staff because he's not there as a pass rusher. But, when I'm evaluating defensive tackles I look for what they provide as run defenders first and pass rushers second. A defensive tackle who cannot defend the run will ruin a defense.

I suspect the staff will try to start Collins, and they'll eventually have to pull him for exclusively pass rushing roles. Collins is a liability against the run.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Collins is a liability against the run.

I loved your post up until the last sentence.  And I might just be nick picking here but Collins isn’t a liability Vs the run.  He’s actually a decent run defender because he so quick to jump a gap and cause penetration.  He can actually do a good job in run defense if paired with a stout NT that can take on a double team, lose no ground, and shutdown a gap or two.  There’s definitely a role for run defense for Collins in this defense.  Where he’d struggle is just taking on blocks and holding his ground.  
That said Collins shouldn’t just be a pass rushing DT but also shouldn’t be used up as a run stuffer either.  There’s a role for him as a limited run down DT to go with his role on passing downs.