Player Appreciation Thread

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I’ve mentioned the level of competition Crosby got his sacks against before.  But I kinda disagree with the overall idea of the video that Crosby won’t repeat his sack totals.  First he’s just starting out and getting better every week as the season goes on.  Missed a lot time in TC with broken hand.  There’s always a lack of talent at OT in the NFL too.  So it’s not like hes gonna go up against Joe Thomas for 16 games a year.  
what impressed me was Crosby’s ability to get sacks on twists and stunts and just non 1:1 plays.  I really want Jordan back because he was very good at stunting and spying and freeing up others.  I think Crosby will continue to be a 10 sack + player.  He’s shown he can get hustle sacks and sacks by ways other than just 1:1 3.0s sacks vs OTs.  When things are going perfect he can still Get to the QB.  He’s also a very intelligent DE and listening to his appearance on Bussin’ with the Boys it seems like he learned a lot from his failures this year.

• Like 2

Advanced issues found

16 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I loved your post up until the last sentence.  And I might just be nick picking here but Collins isn’t a liability Vs the run.  He’s actually a decent run defender because he so quick to jump a gap and cause penetration.  He can actually do a good job in run defense if paired with a stout NT that can take on a double team, lose no ground, and shutdown a gap or two.  There’s definitely a role for run defense for Collins in this defense.  Where he’d struggle is just taking on blocks and holding his ground.  
That said Collins shouldn’t just be a pass rushing DT but also shouldn’t be used up as a run stuffer either.  There’s a role for him as a limited run down DT to go with his role on passing downs.

The mistake you and many make is the defense doesn't decide who the offense double teams. In fact, the offense will often double both DTs on inside zone. The distinction between a nose tackle and a 3T is far less than what media analysis portrays. Both DTs must be able to hold up to double teams in the run game.

From what I've seen, Collins gets routinely pushed back and aside in the run game. He cannot hold up to double teams and can't consistently hold up against single blocks, either. He might be able to shoot a gap every now and then, but that's generally not what sound run defense looks like in the NFL.

• Like 1

Obviously the offensive line dictates who on the defense line gets the double team block or a version of it (ie doubling/chipping then peeling off to block a LB of DLmen).  I have no mistakes in understanding that.  And your right there isn’t that big a difference between the two DTs, the generalizations of classic NT vs classic 3T are incorrect.  
I said Collins is best used with a stout run defending NT (my mistake was using the generalized “NT” instead of DT) who can hold his ground vs double teams.  It’s bad enough if teams double both DTs and Collins gets blown back but having both DTs blown off the ball would create a huge!! whole.  

Furthermore, your explanation is dead on and only furthers my Previous point that Hankins and Hall should be the starters.  The only point I was making in reply to your post was that Collins isnt exclusively a pass rusher and can have situational/rotational value as a run defender.  I mentioned his inability to hold ground vs double teams.  But, he can provide penetration With his his burst, speed, and aggression if we can get him 1:1.  

Example: if Hankins is on the offenses right side and Collins is on the left, on runs to the right side of the Offense then Hankins would likely get some degree of a double team and Collins, on the backside, would be more likely to be single blocked.  On plays like this Collins could be effective 1:1 shooting a gap and pursing from the backside.  

Like I said from the beginning I was absolutely nick picking one line of your post to make a small remark that Collins can have situational value as a run defender.  He should be used mainly on passing downs and I’ve explained in great detail in the past how he can open up the rush lanes for the DE and push the pocket.

i never advocated for Collins to play a ton of runs downs or said he’s a good run defender and teams have to double Hankins so that frees up Collins to make plays. 

what I said was I foresee Hall starting with Hankins but that Collins is likely to get more overall snaps than Hall.  And that while Collins is mainly to be used as a pass rusher he will not Exclusively be used in that role, he has some situational/rotational value on run downs.  But because of his weaknesses he’s best paired with a stout DT than will command doubles more often than not and limit Collins doubling, as that will lead to problems- he will get blown off the ball.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

With Abrams coming back, the Raiders have 3 picks in the 1st round this year.

Where do you think Abram would rank with the safeties this year and when do you think he would have been drafted if he came out this year.

3 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

With Abrams coming back, the Raiders have 3 picks in the 1st round this year.

Yup. We'll have 5 1st/2nd year first round picks across our team this year. When you take into account Mullen, Crosby, Moreau, and Renfrow as well, plus our other three 3rds and 1 4th round pick, we'll likely 13-14 1st or 2nd year players that see significant snaps for us. 

16 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Where do you think Abram would rank with the safeties this year and when do you think he would have been drafted if he came out this year.

Keep in mind I'm not a scout. I'd rank him #1 because he brings intimidation by "hitting" people which helps the defense become a bully. I'm not sure the other safeties have that.

4 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Keep in mind I'm not a scout. I'd rank him #1 because he brings intimidation by "hitting" people which helps the defense become a bully. I'm not sure the other safeties have that.

Abram is a big "potential" guy. He can be a monster at SS because his play strength is insane. I saw him stack and shed dudes in the run game and absolutely destroy them. He also has very good closing speed and can create key "stops" on 3rd down because of the way he flies to the ball. His coverage ability is up in the air. He has the athletic traits and can cover decently in the slot/play on tight ends, but it really comes down to how he develops there to determine if he'll be a decent player or a great one.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

#1. I don't think any S is going in the 1st this year. Abram would go in the late 1st.