Is Aaron Rodgers still good as a pre-snap QB?

AlexGreen#20

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Guys look, Rodgers missed a throw. He sucks now.

Kenny Clark sucked Sunday, let's make that thread too, I'll start it off with the gif of him whiffing Lindsay on 4th and goal and giving up a TD.

Kevin King, that play to Sutton, WTF was that? Let's make the Kevin King sucks thread.

Bahk jumped on a hard count, sucks.

Packers, 3-0, suck.

I mean come on, if you're read this whole thread you know there were many examples given from just the most recent game.  Whether you agree with him or not, this is just being disingenuous.  And if I'm being honest, this feels a whole lot like the end of Favre's time: literally no fault given to the QB no matter how egregious the mistake, instead assigning blame to everyone else around him for years even as those pieces constantly changed and the result stayed exactly the same.  Favre didn't get better until McCarthy made him fix his issues.  The same may very well be true for Rodgers.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MrBobGray said:

You cannot play QB if you're scared of getting hit, especially not in a system that frequently only has two receivers out in routes.

This hits me like: "quick passing game or 3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense.

With only two WRs out - plus nothing from the TE position - we're severely handicapping ourselves in todays NFL - when the rules are heavily tilted towards the passing game.

We've GOTTA start getting our TEs involved (or hitting the passes to them) or our D better keep shutting things down.

4 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

How can you possibly square those things?

I won't speak for others, but I view the current situation as transient, while the talk about AR being one of the greatest is a long term view.
Some are suggesting this transient scenario is a trend and a prediction of his impending decline. That's just not my view of things.
I make no claim to be right/wrong but that's how I reconcile the delta between current play and his overall career legacy.

Time will tell and we'll have a better handle on it as this season rolls along.

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Guys look, Rodgers missed a throw. He sucks now.

Kenny Clark sucked Sunday, let's make that thread too, I'll start it off with the gif of him whiffing Lindsay on 4th and goal and giving up a TD.

Kevin King, that play to Sutton, WTF was that? Let's make the Kevin King sucks thread.

Bahk jumped on a hard count, sucks.

Packers, 3-0, suck.

You're better than the strawman nonsense

26 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You're better than the strawman nonsense

I think this thread is complete and utter nonsense. It's an overreaction to a small sample size based on the reoccurring theme of Rodgers starting slow (which he's done his entire career). This year add in the variable that he has a new system, played no preseason it's ridiculous.

Not saying your point that he's played at an average level is wrong, but using it to forecast that we have to question the long-term outlooks for Rodgers season is ridiculous. He always starts slow, why do you think "shhhhhh", "R-E-L-A-X" and run the table we're all things? 3 years, 3 different slow starts. All of them with missed throws and some bad reads.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cannondale said:

Watch any NFL game and see how many times the telestrator is used to circle bunch formations and picks and route combinations that result in WR's running wide open. It has happened exactly zero times for this offense. But MLF has the market cornered on 1 man WR screens that lose yardage. Innovative !!!

You’re pretty strangely obsessed with bunch formations being the pinnacle of offensive innovation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We're 26th in points per drive. We have an offense that's failing to create a strong number of good opportunities AND a QB who is failing to capitalize on those opportunities available. Playing against a bunch of strong defenses so far is also highlighting our limitations. Bad output, whether it be offensive or defensive is almost always a culmination of many factors. 

We're successful in the redzone for a few reasons, predominantly among them that rezone execution, especially in the run game, is more talent based than scheme based. We also run an offense that is more efficient in the redzone. We run a short yardage offense. Extra backs and tight ends are more productive in the redzone than between the 20s. We've also seen Rodgers make two contested throws to Graham and Allison for TDs that he hasn't been making between the 20s. It's also a small sample size. We will likely regress to some extent.

What can I show you to establish how a Mariota offense is called before I can even begin to make the comparison to Rodgers?

Of course red zone performance, in your opinion, is based on talent as opposed to scheme/execution. Why in the world would we give credit for LaFleur for anything? 

I enjoy reading your posts for the most part. But I don’t understand why you get so hung up on certain things.

7 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I would love to hear your thoughts on the evolution of offenses and where ours currently fits. 

The trees have branched so many times since the pure West Coast offense that any designation is a loose interpretation anyway. My point is very simple. It's a copycat league. We've heard it a million times. If there are plays and formations that are now commonplace across the league (oh and they work) that you would like to disregard and downplay, that provide wide open receivers, the real question is why are you so against it ?

Edited by cannondale

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I think this thread is complete and utter nonsense. It's an overreaction to a small sample size based on the reoccurring theme of Rodgers starting slow (which he's done his entire career). This year add in the variable that he has a new system, played no preseason it's ridiculous.

Not saying your point that he's played at an average level is wrong, but using it to forecast that we have to question the long-term outlooks for Rodgers season is ridiculous. He always starts slow, why do you think "shhhhhh", "R-E-L-A-X" and run the table we're all things? 3 years, 3 different slow starts. All of them with missed throws and some bad reads.

I won't speak for AG20, but the issue with this reading for myself is that this isn't just a reaction to this small sample size. The small sample size is just a microcosm of issues that have been cropping up more and more. Rodgers slow starts have been slower and his highs have been lower. Outside of the run the table stretch you need to go all the way to 2014 to find a season Aaron finished top 10 in the NFL in passer rating. The guy with the best passer rating in history, at a time when the passing game is easier than ever and QB play all around the league is improving. There are increasing numbers of guys putting up video game numbers while Rodgers' steadily decline, and yet when you point this out you're accused of just hating.

I'm not saying Aaron can't improve. His issues are clearly mental, not physical, at least to me. But he has not been close to an elite QB with any kind of regularity in the last five years and it shouldn't be a crime to have an issue with that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

And if I'm being honest, this feels a whole lot like the end of Favre's time: literally no fault given to the QB no matter how egregious the mistake, instead assigning blame to everyone else around him for years even as those pieces constantly changed and the result stayed exactly the same

You're not being honest, there are 10x as many posters criticizing Rodgers that ever criticized Favre.