Another trade? Who's this new GM?

warfelg

Vannett isn't a camp body, he can play a bit. Big dude 6'6 261, I think. Don't think he's hugely athletic,
but Alize Mack that they signed to the practice squad is more that - 4.7 speed, 6'4 247 ish.

I think Vannett was a 3rd round pick. It's not a bad trade, just that we're not going to have many picks
in next years draft.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Vannett has 1 year left on his rookie deal.

This is the last year of his rookie deal, but if he is a cheap option #2 for the next 4-6 years? Trading a 5th for that isnt a big deal. 

Draft is too hit or miss to get hung up on what ifs in the 5th. If Vannett sticks around for an additional contract I am okay with (not great with) this deal. Worst thing would be doing the deal for 13 games. 

The obvious question is...How good is he?  It's hard to know considering Seattle is where TEs go to die (Graham). They seem to be using Dissley (sp?) some this year but I don't recall many TEs doing much in the Seattle Offense nor do I recall much of him at OSU other then remembering he played for them.  Combine results are ok.  I would agree a 5th isn't a deal breaker as long as he's good enough and cheap enough to be on the roster next year. Just going by size and Combine he seems similar to  JJ.

Edited by Chieferific

Im neutral on this.

5th round picks really arent a big deal as most do nothing....but this is a 5th rounder for essentially a 1 year rental of a backup.

I just dont really see the point.   Again, Im not really upset about this (there are too many other things about this team to be annoyed by right now), but this team isnt really going anywhere this year and we traded a 5th for a backup TE?  

If Ben were healthy, these trades would make more sense.      As it stands, its kinda just like...

giphy.gif

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

This is the last year of his rookie deal, but if he is a cheap option #2 for the next 4-6 years? Trading a 5th for that isnt a big deal. 

Draft is too hit or miss to get hung up on what ifs in the 5th. If Vannett sticks around for an additional contract I am okay with (not great with) this deal. Worst thing would be doing the deal for 13 games. 

I disagree.  It's stupid TBH.  We gave up a 5th in a year where we need will have 35 players rolling into the offseason, we're down 2 picks, and there was a perfectly fine TE for the #2 spot sitting out there as a FA.  This was a waste of resources.  Colbert better resign this guy cheap.

I don't mind it. I'd imagine we'll re-sign him at the end of the year. He seems like a solid player who just hasn't broken out yet. The situation reminds me of Vance a little. He probably wasn't used a whole lot as a pass catcher due to Seattle's perpetually garbage O-line. We need a #2, especially who has the potential to become maybe be more than that. The season isn't over. This team isn't garbage. We can still make the playoffs. Come off the ledge, everyone.