Another trade? Who's this new GM?

warfelg

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

I disagree.  It's stupid TBH.  We gave up a 5th in a year where we need will have 35 players rolling into the offseason, we're down 2 picks, and there was a perfectly fine TE for the #2 spot sitting out there as a FA.  This was a waste of resources.  Colbert better resign this guy cheap.

I dont really understand the bold. We are down 2 picks. but we turned them into 2 players. Those players are more than likely better than the players we would take with those picks. Thats why I say as long as Vannett sticks around through another contract, this doesnt really bother me, though I am not in love with the trade. 

Im just looking at percentages. Chances of the 5th being at least as talents as Vannett is okay. Chances of them not even making the roster are really good. Chances of them being better than Vannett....not very good. And thats not pumping up Vannett, thats the reality of that place in the draft and the talent that comes out of it. 

Its only a waste of resources if he plays poorly and hits the streets. Its a swap of resources if he plays well and hits FA and we get a late comp pick in 2021. And its Just a use of resources if we turned a pick, a hopeful player, into an actual player. 

If you want to argue in the case of Luke Willson, fine, but there is a reason the guy was on his 4th team and on the street in an extremely needy TE world. Im not willing to argue Vannett against Willson, but Im also not going to run out the door that we made some huge mistake. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I dont really understand the bold. We are down 2 picks. but we turned them into 2 players. Those players are more than likely better than the players we would take with those picks. Thats why I say as long as Vannett sticks around through another contract, this doesnt really bother me, though I am not in love with the trade. 

Im just looking at percentages. Chances of the 5th being at least as talents as Vannett is okay. Chances of them not even making the roster are really good. Chances of them being better than Vannett....not very good. And thats not pumping up Vannett, thats the reality of that place in the draft and the talent that comes out of it. 

Its only a waste of resources if he plays poorly and hits the streets. Its a swap of resources if he plays well and hits FA and we get a late comp pick in 2021. And its Just a use of resources if we turned a pick, a hopeful player, into an actual player. 

If you want to argue in the case of Luke Willson, fine, but there is a reason the guy was on his 4th team and on the street in an extremely needy TE world. Im not willing to argue Vannett against Willson, but Im also not going to run out the door that we made some huge mistake. 

One of those players isn’t signed past this year and a 5th round deal is cheap. 

Actually agree with war on this 100% there isn't any reason we couldn't have gone out and signed of Luke Wilson something we should have done in preseason or rather right there at the end of pre season when he was cut because it's not much different then the guy we just traded for

If we are going to trade for something and I've said this before and I don't know if there is one out there is available for trade but if we are going to trade for something we need to trade for a replacement for Bud Dupree I don't care how much money hes making this year to be a starter he is not a good player I've been beating this Dead Horse for 4 seasons and people keep telling me to give it time to be patient he is not a good player.

If you look at my comments over the last 5 seasons or more you will find that they are consistent in that if you want to fix the problems that exist in the secondary fix the pass rush in the front 7. We are going to lose Javan hargrave we need a nose tackle and we need a real outside linebacker opposit of TJ Watt.

You don't have to call them a nose tackle you can call them a decent to tackle I don't care what you call them there isn't a highly successful teen in the league who has a Premier pass rush that doesn't have a really good guy in the middle of that defense of line.

Our top 2 needs going into this draft are OLB and NT, in that order unless by some miracle we get Hargrave back.

Just now, warfelg said:

One of those players isn’t signed past this year and a 5th round deal is cheap. 

Right, but if he does get signed.....

Thats my point. If they traded him with the goal of resigning him, on whats most likely a cheap contract its really not a bad deal. Percentages of guys that come out of the 5th round and create a real impact is super low - like single digits for starters and sticking around longer than the league average years. 

We are more likely to wiff on the 5th because that's the nature of that beast. So I dont view losing that low percentage dart through as a execution-alble fault. 

21 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Right, but if he does get signed.....

Thats my point. If they traded him with the goal of resigning him, on whats most likely a cheap contract its really not a bad deal. Percentages of guys that come out of the 5th round and create a real impact is super low - like single digits for starters and sticking around longer than the league average years. 

We are more likely to wiff on the 5th because that's the nature of that beast. So I dont view losing that low percentage dart through as a execution-alble fault. 

So what. He gave up an asset for the same thing he could have gotten off the street. Bad move. 

I am one to believe the draft is a bit over rated after the 3rd round.

Just looking back the last five years, not counting this years draft (most teams seem to keep 4 or 5 picks and 1 or 2 on practice squad then cut the following year)

After round 3 since the 2014 draft on our current roster - Samuels, Matkevich, Chickollo and McCullers - Allen on the practice squad