Another trade? Who's this new GM?

warfelg

41 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Pretty much. 

I know I hate Colbert more than most but why an at best average GM for the last decade gets defended blows my mind. 

I agree.    Colbert has always had his flaws, but I used to give him a pass because no GM is perfect and most have their own unique strengths and weaknesses...even the good ones.  

Over the last 5 years, though, its become apparent how extremely mediocre he is.    Ozzie Newsome used to be a great GM too, but the Ravens made the change when it was clear a change was needed.   That change is desperately needed now in Pittsburgh.   Not sure AR2 has the balls to make that change sooner rather than later, though.

Like I said, the longer we wait to make these changes, the worse off we are going to be going forward.

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

I agree.    Colbert has always had his flaws, but I used to give him a pass because no GM is perfect and most have their own unique strengths and weaknesses...even the good ones.  

Over the last 5 years, though, its become apparent how extremely mediocre he is.    Ozzie Newsome used to be a great GM too, but the Ravens made the change when it was clear a change was needed.   That change is desperately needed now in Pittsburgh.   Not sure AR2 has the balls to make that change sooner rather than later, though.

Like I said, the longer we wait to make these changes, the worse off we are going to be going forward.

And personally not only is this change needed, I think that we need to pass over Omar Kahn and go outside the organization.

I don't think we win the second SB or make a 3rd one with Ben if we hired Wiz.  Too much carryover from Cowher.  I think at that time going outside the organization was the right thing to do because it really gave the spark under some of the older guys that needed it.  Same thing here.  I think we need a GM from the outside that's going to challenge the thinking of the current structure, bring in a few new scouts.  

Side bar - I think Ozzie was still a great GM, he made a massive mistake with Flacco though.  He played the compensatory pick game to perfection.

Back to Colbert - I thin he's hit a point where he doesn't really oppose what's wanted.  Even though this has become much more of an athlete's game, Colbert used to pick guys because they produced and were overlooked for a reason. Since the introduction of SPARQ style drafting, he's hit on so few players (mostly TJ and Shazier) because he's forgetting to look at the actual production.  Burns didn't produce in college, Dupree didn't really produce in college, Edmunds didn't really produce, Davis didn't.  Meanwhile look at the guys playing well that we drafted.  Sutton plays well when in there...productive.  Hargraves, productive.  Heyward, productive.  Tuitt, productive.

15 minutes ago, warfelg said:

And personally not only is this change needed, I think that we need to pass over Omar Kahn and go outside the organization.

I don't think we win the second SB or make a 3rd one with Ben if we hired Wiz.  Too much carryover from Cowher.  I think at that time going outside the organization was the right thing to do because it really gave the spark under some of the older guys that needed it.  Same thing here.  I think we need a GM from the outside that's going to challenge the thinking of the current structure, bring in a few new scouts.  

Side bar - I think Ozzie was still a great GM, he made a massive mistake with Flacco though.  He played the compensatory pick game to perfection.

Back to Colbert - I thin he's hit a point where he doesn't really oppose what's wanted.  Even though this has become much more of an athlete's game, Colbert used to pick guys because they produced and were overlooked for a reason. Since the introduction of SPARQ style drafting, he's hit on so few players (mostly TJ and Shazier) because he's forgetting to look at the actual production.  Burns didn't produce in college, Dupree didn't really produce in college, Edmunds didn't really produce, Davis didn't.  Meanwhile look at the guys playing well that we drafted.  Sutton plays well when in there...productive.  Hargraves, productive.  Heyward, productive.  Tuitt, productive.

Like Ive said before....I think the front office needs a page 1 rewrite....scorch the earth, start over.

I agree about Wiz. 

Ozzie was getting alot of flack for key misses he had, and he struggled finding WRs the way Colbert struggles finding DBs.    They had several years of key misses in the draft, and obviously, made a terrible decision with the Flacco extension.    Probably still better than Colbert is now....but I think the Ravens recognized a change was needed.

And yes, its clear Colbert has changed his methods of how he drafts and looks for talent...and its very senile years Al Davis-esque.   

9 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Bring back Eli and LJ Fort, get rid of Chickillo and Moncrief

where is Fort ? If he is unemployed, then for sure. Lets not forget Skipper, trade a late RD pick for him, and ship dupree off for a legit RB if they plan on benching samuels  the rest of the year. 

whats the deal with Moncrief? Can they cut him and get cap relief? If so, then time to sign Eli now.

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

where is Fort ? If he is unemployed, then for sure. Lets not forget Skipper, trade a late RD pick for him, and ship dupree off for a legit RB if they plan on benching samuels  the rest of the year. 

whats the deal with Moncrief? Can they cut him and get cap relief? If so, then time to sign Eli now.

Fort just got cut from Eagles.

All this time I never knew that if a FA gets cut then it might affect the comp pick for the team that lost him. Also, if cutting Mongrief (saw someone call him that and liked it) gets that comp pick back then what are they waiting for? Obviously I never thought he could replace AB but at the very least I thought he could be serviceable as a #3 WR. Instead he's atrocious.

7 hours ago, Livewire said:

All this time I never knew that if a FA gets cut then it might affect the comp pick for the team that lost him. Also, if cutting Mongrief (saw someone call him that and liked it) gets that comp pick back then what are they waiting for? Obviously I never thought he could replace AB but at the very least I thought he could be serviceable as a #3 WR. Instead he's atrocious.

almost like boswell last year, but not quite as bad. Bos has turned it around , but will moncrief? If Baron keeps playing terrible, cut him/trade him and sign forte and let gilbert get some reps.