Equifax (1 of 3 credit reporting agencies) hacked; potentially 143M Americans affected (also some Brits & Canadians)

Woz

reality of this situation is this:
hackers will always be better
do your best for good internet security (dont reuse passwords, 2 factor authentication --- although this may not matter as people can emulate your phone number now --- make passwords long, close unwanted accounts, don't sign up for unnecessary stuff)
you're screwed regardless
enjoy life

Says my information may have been compromised as well. Let's say worse case scenario happens and someone goes on a rampage with my SSN and personal information, racking up all kinds of debt and emptying my accounts somehow.

What recourse do I have with Equifax? I'm guessing if this happens I surely won't be the only one and Equifax will claim they can't afford all the payouts and declare bankruptcy? Hopefully they have insurance to cover stuff like this.

Time to purchase Lifelock for a nice $30/month.

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm not enrolling. I don't trust a company that lost my information to protect it, and I'm not waiving my right to sue.

Yea, they aren't doing this to "protect" anyone, they're doing it to try and trick as man as they can into signing a contract that screws them over if anything actually happens.

5 hours ago, mistakey said:

reality of this situation is this:
hackers will always be better
do your best for good internet security (dont reuse passwords, 2 factor authentication --- although this may not matter as people can emulate your phone number now --- make passwords long, close unwanted accounts, don't sign up for unnecessary stuff)
you're screwed regardless
enjoy life

This here is golden. Work as hard as you possibly can to make sure you don't get hacked and realize that you're screwed no matter which way it goes so you might as well enjoy life. 

:P

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'm not enrolling. I don't trust a company that lost my information to protect it, and I'm not waiving my right to sue.

Been meaning to ask you, @hrubes20, @fretgod99 or any other FF lawyers if as part of the upcoming lawsuit you could successfully nullify that clause that says you waive you right to sue as part of finding out if you were affected..

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Been meaning to ask you, @hrubes20, @fretgod99 or any other FF lawyers if as part of the upcoming lawsuit you could successfully nullify that clause that says you waive you right to sue as part of finding out if you were affected..

guarantee you were affected.

subtract from the 300 million the children and the obscenely old who have never heard of equifax.  then also subtract from the 300 million those who dont believe in using credit.  if i were a betting man, that leaves everyone on this site minus @theJ

2 minutes ago, mistakey said:

subtract from the 300 million the children and the obscenely old who have never heard of equifax.  then also subtract from the 300 million those who dont believe in using credit.  if i were a betting man, that leaves everyone on this site minus @theJ

Yeah and I'm not waiving my right to go get damages. But my question is more that a bunch of people are inevitably going to sign up for that website, and I'm wondering if there would be a legal argument that they couldn't enforce the clause that says you waive your right to sue since people are going to want to find out if they need to protect themselves.

5 hours ago, mistakey said:

Haha love the call-out. I'm sure I'm affected. I have a mortgage. It's almost impossible for Equifax to not have your info. Even if you have a 0 zero credit score. 

8 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

To give the ultimate lawyer answer, it depends. As I recall, you had to hit enroll before the clause was potentially in play. Whether or not the clause is enforceable would be a difficult question to answer, it would likely depend on the judge hearing the case, the lawyers arguing it, and the facts of the situation. One of the big things at play is whether the people affected had reasonable notice of the terms and assented to them when pressing the enroll button.

Regardless, it seems that public pressure has forced Equifax not to use it:

"2). NO WAIVER OF RIGHTS FOR THIS CYBER SECURITY INCIDENT
In response to consumer inquiries, we have made it clear that the arbitration clause and class action waiver included in the Equifax and TrustedID Premier terms of use does not apply to this cybersecurity incident."

Archived