Equifax (1 of 3 credit reporting agencies) hacked; potentially 143M Americans affected (also some Brits & Canadians)

Woz

12 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Isn't the point not about your credit right now, but that some group of people have all of your information and so they can steal your identity at any point in time for the rest of your life?

Correct, but by accessing your credit/signing up for other alerts (NOT through Equifax) it will let you know a few things:

1. Has anyone opened up a line of credit in your/my name.

2. You can/will be alerted in the future if/when someone does

3. By freezing your credit, you can prevent things like this from happening down the line. Don't do this if you're buying/selling a house though.

7 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

If my info wasn't touched do I still need to worry? I used the link from the first couple of pages in this thread.

Since that link has shown to give random results, I wouldn't trust it.

On 9/23/2017 at 10:09 AM, Jlowe22 said:

Do not care, buy everything with cash.

Unless you are already independently wealthy and don't need to work a day, this affects you. You want to buy a car? Rent an apartment? Get a job? They run a credit check.

Then there's the 200K driver licenses that were leaked. Or the tax return fraud issues.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Unless you are already independently wealthy and don't need to work a day, this affects you. You want to buy a car? Rent an apartment? Get a job? They run a credit check.

Then there's the 200K driver licenses that were leaked. Or the tax return fraud issues.

I was half joking, but still, I've bought all my vehicles with cash.  I'm not saying I'm buying Lamborghinis, but decent, dependable vehicles. If an emergency happens, I can use my work truck until I get it taken care of.  I'm currently saving up cash right now to build a house.  It can be done, you just can't have things exactly when you want them.

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

I was half joking, but still, I've bought all my vehicles with cash.  I'm not saying I'm buying Lamborghinis, but decent, dependable vehicles. If an emergency happens, I can use my work truck until I get it taken care of.  I'm currently saving up cash right now to build a house.  It can be done, you just can't have things exactly when you want them.

And I acknowledge your diligence. Just keep in mind not everyone has those options.

Even if you were able to do all of that, I think it would be fair to say having your personal information leaked (twice) by one of the main credit bureaus is not a good thing.

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

And I acknowledge your diligence. Just keep in mind not everyone has those options.

Even if you were able to do all of that, I think it would be fair to say having your personal information leaked (twice) by one of the main credit bureaus is not a good thing.

Sure, that's why I said I was half joking.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2017 at 6:47 PM, Jlowe22 said:

They still run your credit when you buy a car with cash.  I don't know if having a low score would impact your ability to buy the car, but they do run the check.

43 minutes ago, theJ said:

They still run your credit when you buy a car with cash.  I don't know if having a low score would impact your ability to buy the car, but they do run the check.

Well it must not matter because I'm pretty sure my credit sucks and I just bought a car with cash less than six months ago.

Archived