Week 4 Games

Leader

2 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Actually Denver wasn't very successful running the ball.  They ran for 149 yes, but on 38 carries (3.92 YPC).  On top of that, they only had 8 first downs rushing on those 38 carries.  They stuck with it and the offense couldn't make any space so it seems like they did better than they did.

Alrighty then - thank you.  Regarding the Eagles, is wham blocking a known staple of their offensive scheme, or, did they catch GB by surprise?  Is wham blocking a common scheme in the league?  Just asking because I haven't the foggiest. 

27 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Alrighty then - thank you.  Regarding the Eagles, is wham blocking a known staple of their offensive scheme, or, did they catch GB by surprise?  Is wham blocking a common scheme in the league?  Just asking because I haven't the foggiest. 

To be honest I don't know enough about the Eagles to say one way or the other.  Certainly they like to run power and whams/traps are staples there, so I would assume that Green Bay saw that on film.  I think it's just a case where Green Bay's personnel and play-calling left them very vulnerable to exactly what the Eagles wanted to do.  The Packers play 2-gap on the DL, so it's all read and react.  That's tougher with the amount of misdirection the Eagles ran especially when combined with the short week to get ready.  So the front seven often seemed unsure of where the play was going and the Eagles OL frankly is a hell of a group with excellent quickness so even minor hesitation is a killer.  

To a certain extent though, it just comes down to the Eagles were a bad match-up, the game played right into their hands with the ST gaffes early, and Pettine didn't do much to keep them from playing exactly how they wanted.

• Like 1