Remaining Schedule

SmittyBacall

Doesn't look good in the short term. Opens up a bit after the bye. How do you see it playing out? Keep in mind we get Green and (hopefully) Glenn back at some point. 

2019_Bengals_ScheduleRelease_2560x1440

I have us finishing the season 6-10. But think we could finish as bad as 4-12 if we don't split the division games between Pittsburgh and Cleveland. I also have us going 1-7 into the BYE, and 1-8 after it. Yeesh. I know it's early but at this point I've conceded. Playoffs aren't happening. I really hope we don't win out the final two weeks for the sake of our draft pick but I can definitely see it happening.

Week 4 - Cincinnati @ Pittsburgh

Week 5 - Arizona @ Cincinnati

Week 6 - Cincinnati @ Baltimore

Week 7 - Jacksonville @ Cincinnati 

Week 8 - Cincinnati @ LA Rams

Week 9 - BYE

Week 10 - Baltimore @ Cincinnati

Week 11 - Oakland @ Cincinnati

Week 12 - Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati

Week 13 - New York Jets @ Cincinnati

Week 14 - Cincinnati @ Cleveland

Week 15 - New England @ Cincinnati

Week 16 - Cincinnati @ Miami

Week 17 - Cleveland @ Cincinnati

A few weeks ago i would have said no way they beat Pittsburgh on MNF.  But i'm optimistic now.

I think they have 2 wins before the bye, between Pitt, Arizona and Jacksonville.

After the bye, they have 6 winnable games (Oak, Pitt, NYJ, CLEx2, Mia).  I think they win 4 of them.

So 6 wins.

I think once AJ and Cordy come back we should see marked improvement on offense. I’m really praying Pratt has some breakout game to get him on the field more. Darius Phillips should be our nickel moving forward. I think we squeak out next week with a win, if we can’t beat Pittsburgh this beat up, it will be sad. 

Aside from the San Francisco game,  of which I have no wish to think about.  I've seen a lot of hopeful moments.  There is certainly room for improvement through execution as well as improved health.  An offensive line that gels, coaches and players getting more comfortable with executing game plans can cause significant improvement.  Our troubles have been predictable ones and the speed at which we grow will determine how competitive the rest of the season is. I currently only see one game I expect to lose, but none of the rest am I expecting W's.

If we lose to the Steelers on MNF, I wholeheartedly believe it's time for the Bengals to finally make a bold move and bench Dalton.  Let Ryan Finley get some extended playing time for the rest of the season.  Starting 0-4 means we're going nowhere, and Dalton isn't the answer.  We need to find out what we have in Finley...

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

If we lose to the Steelers on MNF, I wholeheartedly believe it's time for the Bengals to finally make a bold move and bench Dalton.  Let Ryan Finley get some extended playing time for the rest of the season.  Starting 0-4 means we're going nowhere, and Dalton isn't the answer.  We need to find out what we have in Finley...

From a macro perspective that makes sense, but we're still trying to win football games and sell tickets. Dalton gives us the best chance to do that so I don't see him getting benched this year.

2 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

If we beat the Steelers next week I’ll lean more toward 8-8. 

Wow. You're much more optimistic than I. In a sort of masochistic way I hope your wrong; I want a top 5 pick. If we're not making the playoffs, what's the point of trying?

What worries me most about the schedule is I see a lot of great defensive lines and front 7's that will eat our line alive. JAX, PIT, BAL, LAR, even NYJ  and CLE will cause us fits. The offense, while it should hopefully improve a bit with Green and Glenn back, will likely continue to struggle and it will at the fault of Dalton and the offensive line. 

46 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Wow. You're much more optimistic than I. In a sort of masochistic way I hope your wrong; I want a top 5 pick. If we're not making the playoffs, what's the point of trying?

What worries me most about the schedule is I see a lot of great defensive lines and front 7's that will eat our line alive. JAX, PIT, BAL, LAR, even NYJ  and CLE will cause us fits. The offense, while it should hopefully improve a bit with Green and Glenn back, will likely continue to struggle and it will at the fault of Dalton and the offensive line. 

Winning breeds winning. I want this team to do the best they can even if it means missing out on a top pick. Gotta teach this team how to win even when it doesn't matter anymore. Gotta hope that carries over into the next year and so on.

If we struggle even late into the season, it won't give us fans much hope for next year, will it?

A new rookie QB isn't going to fix this team. If we fix the offensive line and linebacker play, we are right back into the mix in the AFC North. 

2 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

A new rookie QB isn't going to fix this team. If we fix the offensive line and linebacker play, we are right back into the mix in the AFC North. 

Which doesn't mean much with how weak the AFCN is.  We're not in the class of the Chiefs, Rams, Patriots, and a few other teams with Dalton as the QB.

If we're trying to build a team to win one playoff game, then yes.  If we're trying to win the SB we need to address QB instead of waiting...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Which doesn't mean much with how weak the AFCN is.  We're not in the class of the Chiefs, Rams, Patriots, and a few other teams with Dalton as the QB.

If we're trying to build a team to win one playoff game, then yes.  If we're trying to win the SB we need to address QB instead of waiting...

I agree. If we are in position to take a QB than I am all for it, but to tank just to take the top one is a mistake IMO. 

12 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Winning breeds winning. I want this team to do the best they can even if it means missing out on a top pick. Gotta teach this team how to win even when it doesn't matter anymore. Gotta hope that carries over into the next year and so on.

If we struggle even late into the season, it won't give us fans much hope for next year, will it?

Building a winning culture comes second to finding a franchise QB. If sacrificing a bunch of meaningless games in the second half of the year gives us a better chance of having a higher pick to acquire a franchise QB, so be it. 

14 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I agree. If we are in position to take a QB than I am all for it, but to tank just to take the top one is a mistake IMO. 

I don't think starting Finley instead of Dalton is tanking per se.  It's seeing what we have in Finley.  Gardner Minshew, Kyle Allen, Daniel Jones, etc... have all shown they can win and all of them have looked better than the starter they replaced thus far (granted Cam was hurt).  No reason to not give Finley a shot if we're sitting at 0-4...

27 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I don't think starting Finley instead of Dalton is tanking per se.  It's seeing what we have in Finley.  Gardner Minshew, Kyle Allen, Daniel Jones, etc... have all shown they can win and all of them have looked better than the starter they replaced thus far (granted Cam was hurt).  No reason to not give Finley a shot if we're sitting at 0-4...

I wouldn't be opposed to starting Finley, but not because I think he gives us a better chance at winning. If you start him and he goes .500 and looks decent does that stop you from drafting a top QB?