Remaining Schedule

SmittyBacall

2 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

I wouldn't be opposed to starting Finley, but not because I think he gives us a better chance at winning. If you start him and he goes .500 and looks decent does that stop you from drafting a top QB?

Depends on how he looks, which is why I want a 12 game sample and not a 4-5 game sample at the end of the year when other teams are banged up/resting players.

That said, 97% sure I'd say lets draft a QB anyway in the 1st round.  JoeGoodberry talks about it a bit, but until you're sure you've hit on a franchise QB keep taking QBs in the draft.  They are that valuable...

6 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Building a winning culture comes second to finding a franchise QB. If sacrificing a bunch of meaningless games in the second half of the year gives us a better chance of having a higher pick to acquire a franchise QB, so be it. 

You don't need a top 3 pick to get a QB though. Make a run, get to 7 wins or so and use some draft capital to move up if necessary to get the guy you want. 

Also, I'm more excited to see Dolegala than Finley TBH. I'll probably eat those words later. 

7 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Safe to say 6-10 is generous. 

Horrid for Herbert I suppose.

What can any rookie QB do behind this line?  They also won't go after an OT in free agency that's worth anything, so draft an OT in the first, LB in the second, and go from there.  heck, trade back and still do it.

3 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

What can any rookie QB do behind this line?  They also won't go after an OT in free agency that's worth anything, so draft an OT in the first, LB in the second, and go from there.  heck, trade back and still do it.

If they land in the top 5, they can't not go QB.  Drafting a tackle would just be lunacy.  Lots of ways to address that position, but there's really only one way to address the QB position.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theJ said:

If they land in the top 5, they can't not go QB.  Drafting a tackle would just be lunacy.  Lots of ways to address that position, but there's really only one way to address the QB position.

Plus we have a 1st rd OT coming back next year in Jonah Williams.  He might even be able to go at the tail end of this season just to get his feet wet.  Only if he is 100% though.

Top 3 QB
2nd Rd RT (Like how Dalton Risner fell to that area this year)
Free agent G
Jonah Williams coming back

LT: The Jonah
LG: Price
C: Hopkins
RG: Big money FA G (Cut Glenn and Hart)
RT: 2020 Rd 2 pick

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Plus we have a 1st rd OT coming back next year in Jonah Williams.  He might even be able to go at the tail end of this season just to get his feet wet.  Only if he is 100% though.

Top 3 QB
Free agent G
Jonah Williams coming back

LT: The Jonah
C: Hopkins
RT: 2020 Rd 2 pick

highly unlikely..but a man can dream

58 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

He's looked really good thus far by the way. I wonder how our season would look with him on the roster. I still have so much disdain for the Drew Sample pick.

59 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I don't think he's a competent option. Career backup. 

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Ain't happening. I can tell you that for free. 

4 hours ago, theJ said:

So is said top 5 QB going to turn this team around without serious upgrading the o-line in just one season?  Will they even play?  Are we suddenly winning a bunch of games next year or is this really a rebuild?

So I'm sticking with the two year rebuild plan.  Draft the new o-line guys next year.  Draft two LBs next year.  Draft a CB and safety.

In 2021 draft the QB and more DBs early.  

When I look at the prospects, I love Lawrence and Fields far more than guys like Tua (shaky mechanics and benefits from playing for Alabama like McCarron), Herbert (has the tools, bails at the first signs of pressure), Fromm (lacks the big arm, but has plenty of moxey), Eason or Burrows (guys who couldn't beat out teammates so they bailed).  If we sit in the top 3, trade back and get that extra pick or whatever to get more high end quality.

So in my 2020 scenario:

1.  Andrew Thomas

2.  Top coverage LB on the board or a safety that drops to us 

3.  Isaiah Wilson or a LB if we went elsewhere in the second

4.  OT/LB

In 2021

1.  Lawrence, Fields, or other QB

2.  CB

Look at our roster.  If we re-sign Green, and I would, that means we are relatively set at WR (Green, Boyd, Ross, tate, Erickson, Willis), RB (Mixon, Gio, Williams, Anderson), interior OL (Jordan, Price, Miller, hopefully Hopkins), Dline (Atkins, Dunlap, Hubbard, lawson, Brown, Glascow, Wren and hopefully Billings) with a few secure spots in the secondary (Jackson, Bates, Phillips, and hopefully Wilson).  We have two long term TEs (Sample, Uzomah).  We will need a kicker and punter soon too.  

But the big holes are OT (at least 2, maybe three to guard against injuries), at least two LBs (I say 2 because I have hope for Pratt), a QBOTF (unless Zac loves Finley/Dolegada), and the secondary at other depth spots.  If we land just a LB or two in free agency, this team could be back in two years, with a chance to do damage with the right QB.  I don't want to see that QB go the way of Klingler, who was battered and never stood a chance at having any success here.

I get that the QB is the shiny object as well as the current hidden elephant in the room (OT and LB are the biggest galring ones).  Fix the peices around the QB so that no matter who you put there, they have the chance to be extremely successful.