Remaining Schedule

SmittyBacall

10 minutes ago, theJ said:

Damn near impossible.  If they're counting on the draft for that, i expect Hart and Price/Jordan to be starting again next year.  Outside of round 1, it's just really difficult to target needs in the draft.

It helps when you have the first pick in the 2nd round.  We can go QB, and then RG/OG with pick #33.  Generally a lot of top Guard prospects drop to the second round, off the top of my head Will Hernandez, Eric McCoy, James Daniels, Jawaan Taylor, Dalton Risner, Cody Ford, etc...  So we can 'fix' one position but will need Free Agency to fix the second...

On 11/14/2019 at 10:39 AM, SmittyBacall said:

If last draft taught us anything there should be some decent RTs available at the top of 2. They tend to slide.

Finding OL talent has been brutal, and not just for the Bengals.  Rams, Broncos, Jets, Skins, Giants, Dolphins, Cardinals, Bucs, Panthers, Browns, Seahawks, 49ers, Texans, etc... Damn near every team (hell the Patriots even) have a massive need to improve the OL.  I'm quite honestly shocked that Tackles that can play drop to the 2nd round...

I'd try to target a  legitimate starting tackle in free agency.  I trust an ot on a second contract  more than a linebacker from another team because scheme and athleticism matter much less at that position than linebacker. 

Then focus in on linebacker at the top of the second,  unless we win too many games or trade down and we are in position to draft  Isaiah Simmons. 

• Like 1

I'm really concerned this team is going to win a game.  Just one, against the Jets and Dolphins.  And the Redskins don't really have a winnable game left on their schedule.

Imagine going 1-15 and not getting a new QB out of the deal.

18 minutes ago, theJ said:

I'm really concerned this team is going to win a game.  Just one, against the Jets and Dolphins.  And the Redskins don't really have a winnable game left on their schedule.

Are you thinking they would take Burrow after just taking Haskins?  Or more worried that they trade back?  If they stay at #1, I think they take Young or Thomas.

5 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Are you thinking they would take Burrow after just taking Haskins?  Or more worried that they trade back?  If they stay at #1, I think they take Young or Thomas.

A few weeks ago i was convinced they wouldn't take Burrow.  But after watching Haskins the last few weeks, i'm not so sure.  It'd be nice to see him perform a little better to close the season.

But yeah, then my concern is that they trade back.  Dolphins have the ammo to trade up using only this years picks.  I also wouldn't be totally shocked if Tampa or Denver made a move up.  Elway loves him some QB's, though it's going to cost them quite a bit to never give Lock a shot.

3 hours ago, theJ said:

I'd be happy if we went 6-10. I hate losing. 

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

I'd be happy if we went 6-10. I hate losing. 

If they finish 6-10, then they probably already have the answer at QB on the roster.

6-10 doesn't concern me.  1-15 or 2-14 concern me.  Because with that record, they're going to be stuck in purgatory again next year.

4 minutes ago, theJ said:

If they finish 6-10, then they probably already have the answer at QB on the roster.

6-10 doesn't concern me.  1-15 or 2-14 concern me.  Because with that record, they're going to be stuck in purgatory again next year.

6-10 probably means Dalton finishes the year.  

The last player that won a super bowl on the team that they ended up at the end of their draft was Eli manning in 2004. Last player with the team that actually drafted 1 overall was Peyton,  although the Rams did it with Pace who they drafted the year before. So that's none in the Last 15 drafts and 3 in the last 23. 

In short,  getting the top pick is not the end all for future success. I think I feel the same about this as you do about comp picks.

1 minute ago, Beck Bristow said:

6-10 probably means Dalton finishes the year.  

The last player that won a super bowl on the team that they ended up at the end of their draft was Eli manning in 2004. Last player with the team that actually drafted 1 overall was Peyton,  although the Rams did it with Pace who they drafted the year before. So that's none in the Last 15 drafts and 3 in the last 23. 

In short,  getting the top pick is not the end all for future success. I think I feel the same about this as you do about comp picks.

I have no doubts that there will be at least 1 QB in this draft that turns out to be good or great, past Burrow.  I just don't trust the Bengals to actually make the pick.

They've already passed on Watson, Mahomes and Jackson when they knew that Dalton was probably not getting an extension at the end of his deal.  Who will they pass on this year if they have the #2 or #3 pick and elect to take a DE or RT?

• Like 1

Exactly.  Even if Burrow isn't the guy, they've at least moved on.  Taylor isn't exactly inspiring a lot of confidence right now, but at least it brought the end of the Marvin Lewis era of mediocrity. I haven't been this interested in the team since mid 2016.  Even last years good start I had no real hope of us competing against the elite teams of the NFL.

Edited by THE DUKE