Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
malagabears

My prediction: Khalil Mack - 2019 DPOY

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

BTW I just noticed the pic in the OP was from last week.

Here are the top-10 in QB pressures. It's worth noting that Bowles' scheme consist of ALOT of blitz packages and so Barrett is getting much more help than the others are on this list.   

Rk Player Tm Bltz Hrry Prss
1 Khalil Mack CHI 4 13 17
2 Shaquil Barrett TAM 49 6 16
3 Za'Darius Smith GNB 8 6 13
4 Josh Allen JAX 20 8 13
5 T.J. Watt PIT 16 6 12
6 Devon Kennard DET 8 5 12
7 Matt Judon BAL 23 3 11
8 Everson Griffen MIN 0 4 11
9 Brian Burns CAR 0 6 11
10 Aaron Donald LAR 0 8 11

 

Interesting.  How are they defining a blitz?  Some kind of action with another player?  Playing a different gap from where you line up?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Interesting.  How are they defining a blitz?  Some kind of action with another player?  Playing a different gap from where you line up?

 

 

 

Blitz is defined as bringing 6 or more.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Blitz is defined as bringing 6 or more.  

It is just really amazing the attention Mack commands when he lines up on the edge. Ir is normal to see 2 linemen or a lineman plus a chip blocker. When he can divert additional resources to him that should open it up to an additional blitzer like one of the ILB's or one of the safeties.

Edited by malagabears

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:
3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Interesting.  How are they defining a blitz?  Some kind of action with another player?  Playing a different gap from where you line up?

Blitz is defined as bringing 6 or more.  

Blitz has always been defined by 5 or more rushers on any given play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sugashane said:

If your goal was to intimidate me you failed. I hear "Hungry Eyes" from Dirty Dancing when I see this. 

 

I skipped breakfast today too though, so I think I'm actually hungry and a bit confused. 

That's interesting Suga. I had you pegged as more of a debbie gibson type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Blitz has always been defined by 5 or more rushers on any given play.

I was going to say 6!?!  Rarely see 6 get sent anymore.

 I always personally defined it as an off ball player rushing and not by the number of guys coming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I was going to say 6!?!  Rarely see 6 get sent anymore.

You still see 6 or 7 but it's only used in "situational football". Pagano sent 6 or 7(can't remember) two plays in a row against Flacco in week 2 late in the game during the TD drive in the red zone.

Some coaches are obviously more aggressive than others so that plays a part as well. Don't be surprised to see an 8-man rush on 2 or 3 plays when we play the Vikings this week like Zimmer did against Ryan in week 1. He loves to bring pressure and coaches seem content with pressuring Mitch.  

On sort of a side note. I have been charting the "impact of Mack" for someone else just to see how much it effects the defense when he is not on the field. I'm also using this opportunity to chart how many rushers Pagano is sending on each play because I read an article in the off-season about how he likes to blitz and I called BS on it after watching his defenses in the off-season and how his player personal was no near close to ours --save for the one year in BAL.  

This is only thru 2 games and the criteria you see highlighted at the top of the spreadsheet (which includes penalties) .
(Note: I like to double check my work for possible errors before hand and have only done so with the Packers game thus far. But I'm pretty confident in the Broncos game as well.

As you can see, Pagano is only blitzing 22.1% of the time. 

# of Rushers # of times
2 1
3 2
4 71
5 17
6 1
7 3

 

14 hours ago, dll2000 said:

So if safety or corner comes on a 3 man rush that is not a blitz? 

Nope. The original idea of defining a blitz as more than 4 rushers on a given play stems from the base 4-3 defenses where all four down lineman almost always rush the QB. So if an extra LB, S or corner rush as well, that's considered a blitz.

Likewise in a base 3-4 formation. The 3 down lineman and 1 edge always rushes the QB. Anything more than that is considered a blitz. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

You still see 6 or 7 but it's only used in "situational football". Pagano sent 6 or 7(can't remember) two plays in a row against Flacco in week 2 late in the game during the TD drive in the red zone.

Some coaches are obviously more aggressive than others so that plays a part as well. Don't be surprised to see an 8-man rush on 2 or 3 plays when we play the Vikings this week like Zimmer did against Ryan in week 1. He loves to bring pressure and coaches seem content with pressuring Mitch.  

On sort of a side note. I have been charting the "impact of Mack" for someone else just to see how much it effects the defense when he is not on the field. I'm also using this opportunity to chart how many rushers Pagano is sending on each play because I read an article in the off-season about how he likes to blitz and I called BS on it after watching his defenses in the off-season and how his player personal was no near close to ours --save for the one year in BAL.  

This is only thru 2 games and the criteria you see highlighted at the top of the spreadsheet (which includes penalties) .
(Note: I like to double check my work for possible errors before hand and have only done so with the Packers game thus far. But I'm pretty confident in the Broncos game as well.

As you can see, Pagano is only blitzing 22.1% of the time. 

 

# of Rushers # of times
2 1
3 2
4 71
5 17
6 1
7 3

 

Nope. The original idea of defining a blitz as more than 4 rushers on a given play stems from the base 4-3 defenses where all four down lineman almost always rush the QB. So if an extra LB, S or corner rush as well, that's considered a blitz.

Likewise in a base 3-4 formation. The 3 down lineman and 1 edge always rushes the QB. Anything more than that is considered a blitz. 

 

If a LB, safety or corner comes people always just consider that a blitz.  

If a usual rusher rushes then it isn't a blitz.  But I get it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Like you can send a ILB and drop a DL and still rush 4 in a 'zone blitz'.  

That's a zone dog.  There is also the the green dog concept where the Mike reads the QB and if his zone is empty, has a green light to rush.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

That's a zone dog.  There is also the the green dog concept where the Mike reads the QB and if his zone is empty, has a green light to rush.

Yes, some call it that.  Most have called a blitz since Paterno did it forever ago. Or made it popular anyway. 

Most LBs covering a TE or back who stay in to block simply rush.  What else are they going to do?  Sometimes they hang out in case guy does a check release.  Depends on coverage behind.   You don't want to leave flat undefended if corners are bailing deep.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×