GDT "Black and Blue Division" Edition: Vikings & Bears 9/29/19

beardown3231

Can the Bears' D give Cousins the Keenum treatment and force turnovers, perhaps without Hicks?

Can the Bears' O carry over the momentum from Monday and move the rock against a much better D, perhaps without Gabriel?

Can the Bears' D do what 3 other D's haven't and contain Dalvin Cook and force Cousins to beat them?

We will find out on Sunday at 3:25!

54 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Can the Bears' D give Cousins the Keenum treatment and force turnovers, perhaps without Hicks?

Can the Bears' O carry over the momentum from Monday and move the rock against a much better D, perhaps without Gabriel?

Can the Bears' D do what 3 other D's haven't and contain Dalvin Cook and force Cousins to beat them?

We will find out on Sunday at 3:25!

This will be the best defense Vikes have played all season.  Cousins has historically struggled against us and I expect that to continue.  Vikesare also think at WR.  I think if we focus on shutting down Cook we will stand a great chance to win.

Mitch has to play mistake free football and be able to sustain drives though.  I'd like to see a healthy dose of Montgomery in this one.  This is a huge game.  Can't lose 2 divisional games at home and expect to contend for a playoff spot.

19 hours ago, topwop1 said:

This will be the best defense Vikes have played all season.  Cousins has historically struggled against us and I expect that to continue.  Vikesare also think at WR.  I think if we focus on shutting down Cook we will stand a great chance to win.

Mitch has to play mistake free football and be able to sustain drives though.  I'd like to see a healthy dose of Montgomery in this one.  This is a huge game.  Can't lose 2 divisional games at home and expect to contend for a playoff spot.

The Bears are the best defense we probably will play all season (although Dallas is good too).  We have to hope that the Bears D has to pay enough attention to stopping the run that Cousins and the passing game can put together some drives.  I think you will hold Cook to about 60-70 yards and that won't be enough for us to win.  I'd like to see the Vikings play a lot of two TE sets to help give Cousins more protection and potential short routes for quick dump-offs.

Another thing that worries me is that the Vikings never seem to have much success in Chicago.  Even back in 2009 when we had Favre and the Bears were struggling in a very down year, we lost at Soldier Field in Week 15.  That loss cost us home-field advantage in the playoffs, and ultimately, a Super Bowl because the Saints probably wouldn't have beaten us in our house.  Moral of the story: the Bears are always a very tough team at home for the Vikings.  

We also have to worry about Cordarelle "Flash" Patterson having a big game against us on special teams.

This is also the best defense the Bears have played all season, so I'm hoping we can lure Mitch into coughing up a couple of turnovers.   

• Like 1

Okay.

I have to say I am really impressed at adjustments Nagy made in game 3.

1) No huddle.

2) More Robinson in the slot.

3) Monty is now feature back and Davis is clear back up.

4) More crossing routes.

All of these were a big success.

...BUT...

Washington elected to go with a packed box and man to man.

They stopped the run, but Bears WRs and MT can beat man to man.  Contrary to media narrative MT IS an accurate passer.  With a clean pocket he can be exceptionally accurate.

He struggles with over the shoulder lead balls at times.  

Where he really struggles is reading zone coverage.  Washington had a bad plan.  

I have to think Zimmer will play zone and some robber.  Zimmer is a smart defensive coach.  

Where line struggles is in stunts.

I have to think Zimmer will stunt the poop out of the Bears.

If I am Nagy I prepare for nothing but zone beaters and stunts all week.   If he doesn't and they don't have a plan for zone and stunts it's going to be a long day offensively and I think we lose and may lose by a wide margin.

5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I've been waiting for an excuse to use this gif, so here goes:

It would be a great Christmas gift if Nagy would just rule him out for this week.

giphy.gif

Good lord, who is that? Wow.

Anyways, I've got massive respect for the Vikings--Zimmer, Cousins, Cook, etc. Got a solid opinion on this game I'm not going to share. At least until after it's over. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Okay.

I have to say I am really impressed at adjustments Nagy made in game 3.

1) No huddle.

2) More Robinson in the slot.

3) Monty is now feature back and Davis is clear back up.

4) More crossing routes.

All of these were a big success.

...BUT...

Washington elected to go with a packed box and man to man.

They stopped the run, but Bears WRs and MT can beat man to man.  Contrary to media narrative MT IS an accurate passer.  With a clean pocket he can be exceptionally accurate.

He struggles with over the shoulder lead balls at times.  

Where he really struggles is reading zone coverage.  Washington had a bad plan.  

I have to think Zimmer will play zone and some robber.  Zimmer is a smart defensive coach.  

Where line struggles is in stunts.

I have to think Zimmer will stunt the poop out of the Bears.

If I am Nagy I prepare for nothing but zone beaters and stunts all week.   If he doesn't and they don't have a plan for zone and stunts it's going to be a long day offensively and I think we lose and may lose by a wide margin.

I agree with you partially. I get the sense that the Bears offense prepares all week for one look and end up getting something completely different during the game. We heard this answer several times last year most notably during the Rams game.

i would think it makes sense to have multiple theories on what the Vikes will do and split time between the two most likely looks.

I think home field will be pretty big in this game and we may win because of it. I expect it to be very close coming down to TOs and the QB.