2020 Prospect Follow Thread

hrubes20

The draft pick value chart is old and out of touch with the modern NFL.  If you take a look at trade ups into the top 5 over the last 10 years, teams who've traded up, especially for a QB, have paid a premium for those picks.  It's just the reality of the modern league.

Now, having said that, I'll be the first person to say that I think it's too much to pay for an oft-injured QB but the fact is that he's head and shoulders better than the 3rd best QB in this draft, regardless of who you think that is.

Edited by frankmoore

26 minutes ago, frankmoore said:

The draft pick value chart is old and out of touch with the modern NFL.  If you take a look at trade ups into the top 5 over the last 10 years, teams who've traded up, especially for a QB, have paid a premium for those picks.  It's just the reality of the modern league.

Now, having said that, I'll be the first person to say that I think it's too much to pay for an oft-injured QB but the fact is that he's head and shoulders better than the 3rd best QB in this draft, regardless of who you think that is.

Well I would say the draft pick value chart isn’t a be all to end all, but it isn’t exactly useless either.  Of course trading up for a QB is typically going to cost more, but that is because of the competition typically being there are usually more QB needy teams than there is a supply of decent QB’s ( supply and demand ).  When I look at teams picking in the top 10 of the 2020 draft I see 2 teams that might be interested in leap frogging us for a QB.  
1) Chargers; Anthony Lynn isn’t bringing back Rivers because he trusts QB Tyrod Taylor to do what they had success with in Buffalo.  I expect they will run some zone read option and the RB stretch.  Those 2 plays mesh well together and I believe the Chargers know Tyrod can run it well.  With Tua’s lower body boo boo’s, Herbert will be much more of a threat in that type of Offense.

2) Carolina; Would Carolina be willing to move on from Newton and sacrifice significant draft picks to move up for another QB with injury risks?  Maybe but probably not.  Nevertheless moving down outside of the top 5 is going to deny a current top 5 team that truly elite prospect they desire.....meaning, Young, Brown, or Okudah.

Right now, I don’t think the demand for Tua is so much that we will have to pay both second rounders to move up.  This could change before the draft, but that’s just speculating right now.  I think Grier is willing to wait another year and overpay for a QB in 2021 if need be, but not for a QB with Tua’s current injury concerns.  Don’t forget, we still have a young first round QB on the roster and on the cheap so I don’t believe we are as desperate for a QB in 2020 as some may think.

Edited by Swampbilly

On 2/26/2020 at 2:13 PM, hrubes20 said:

That's great that he's healing properly.  But does it really affect the views that he is injury prone?

To answer your question, and provide some insight on Tua's injury, No it doesn't!!!  I'll stay away from the Ankle Injuries and just focus on the hip dislocation and why it WILL be an injury that is chronic and while not catastrophic it will require frequent Physical Therapy and constant management on Tua and the organization that drafts him.  How do I know this?  I suffered the same injury and it ended my playing days decades ago before much was known about this type of dislocation / fracture.

Tua suffered a dislocated hip with a fracture of the posterior rim of the hip.  The posterior rim of the hip is basically the very back of the hip which is located under the butt cheek.  When the hip dislocates from the socket and the head of the femur pushes through the posterior rim of the hip it often chips off pieces of bone from the posterior rim which can be rather large and will often create further instability in the hip if not surgically removed ( likely why he had surgery ).  Additionally when the hip dislocates in this way it really stretches the tendons, which hold the hip in the socket, quite severely and causes destabilization of the hip.  This means the Femoral Head is much more likely to dislocate again taking the same pathway of the former dislocation which is why Tua will require frequent Physical Therapy to prevent this...….the nature of this injury itself is chronic, but not totally catastrophic even though the only known cure is a Total Hip Replacement (THR).  With Tua being so young and in such great athletic shape no Surgeon would recommend a THR until he is probably in his 40's or 50's, since Prosthetic hips currently average about 15 years before requiring surgical replacement.

Bottom Line:  Tua's Hip Dislocation and Fracture of the Posterior Rim is a Chronic Injury by nature.  At some point Tua will require a Total Hip Replacement, although I'm certain that won't be for at least a decade and likely two decades from now ( depending on genetic predisposition of osteo-arthritis ).  He will always have pain in this hip and it will never be the same as before. He will likely develop Osteo-arthritis at some point, but If managed properly, Tua can still play football at a high level but will require Physical Therapy and likely pain management ( possibly in the form of frequent cortisone injections, which is a minor surgery itself given the area of treatment ).

Team Doctor's know this!!!!  It is a realistic FACT of this type of injury ( Hip dislocation of the Posterior Rim with Acetabular Impingement )!!!!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidgeier/2019/11/17/tuas-hip-dislocation-explanation-of-the-injury-possible-long-term-outcomes/#2e8f7b966d44

Edited by Swampbilly

7 minutes ago, Rgossett07 said:

I would much rather Miami fall in love with Fromm, Eason or Hurts and wait till late first to take a QB. 

I love Isaiah Simmons at #5!!!!

Simmons is worthy of a top 10 selection.  He will probably be a pro bowl player in a year or two, but drafting a LB at No 5 overall, when we are in dire need of an upgrade at QB, isn't going to translate into wins.  Even if we have a plan to forego drafting a QB in 2020, with the intent of drafting a QB in 2021, I still can't get on board with a LB at 5, mainly because we have an equally dire need at both OT positions.

I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Hurts in late round 2 or early round 3 if he is still available ( provided we dont land Tua or Herbert in round 1 ).  Reason being is because Chan Gailey is going to run a lot of RPO's and that's the kind of Offense Hurts will do well in.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2019 at 10:41 AM, jetskid007 said:

Question for Dolphins fans: 

Making a mock where you guys are selecting 5th overall. I have Burrow #1, Young #2, and Tua #3 via trade. NYG select Wills at #4. Where do you sense the Dolphins would go under those circumstances?

Herbert, Simmons or trade back.