Redskins Review

dll2000

Play 4.

2nd and 29 on our own 1.

What do you call here?  LOL.  Feels bad moment.

Bears in 3x1 with Robinson as the 1.  

Norman has him in man with LBs looking to help (tell by their eyes or helmet tilt)

Robinson shakes loose anyway (man does he run good routes).

MT threads the needle.  This is a great throw.  A great throw.  Tight window from his own end zone.  Props to Arob and MT here.   Our QB is not without talent when he has a clean pocket.  Unsung plays like this give me hope.    We just got out of shadow of our own goal line.   

Complete for 10.  Line does a good job here.

Play 5.  

3rd and 19 from our own 11.  Not a great down and distance to say the least.

Same formation.  

Completion to Gabriel for 10.

So we were 2nd and 29 from our own 1 yard line and MT got 20 yards back.

I have seen no one talk about this.  This is not nothing.  This is good football.  This is field position football in a really, really bad situation.

Okay I know I am doing offense.  But I just watched a Mack sack strip and Bears fumble recovery get negated by a really, really ticky tack call on Prince. 

Guy ducked into a jam and his hand grazed his helmet.

Just awful call that negated a huge play for Chicago.

Also on same play we have no calls on a hold and actual take downs on both RRH and Floyd.

Our defense does not get a lot of breaks calls wise.

Redskins get a free field goal.  Oops they missed.   

But D was on field for a really long time on this drive.  

Edited by dll2000

Okay finally back, 3rd series play 1.

Ball is on our own 32.  1st and 10.

Bears are showing a double TE formation for first time.

Both tight to LINE OF SCRIMMAGE.  Two more receivers to top.  One outside the numbers.  

Monty in backfield.  Guessing IZ.

Washington has 7 men in box and nearly 8 with Collins close.  Everyone is on LINE OF SCRIMMAGE in press.  

Wash is obviously guessing same thing I am.  Play has little to no chance of success I think if it is IZ.   It just doesn't often work to play smash mouth football without a FB into a loaded box.

Single back is designed for the spread and can't 'establish the run' without option football and QB runs when against teams playing run.   You are simply out numbered and out gapped.  That is just reality.  Two guys can't block 3.  

Allen motions inside to be an extra blocker, but it won't matter against this front.  His man comes back in too, so now its a 9 man box. This just got worse.  

Yup, IZ, no gain and a wasted down.  This is obvious audible time for MT if he can, which I doubt he has that freedom.  Really bad call by Nagy.  You can't just waste downs like this trying to 'establish the run'.  It's worth a time out IMO if you have to.   This play had no chance from get go.  

Play 3.  2nd and 5.

We are back on schedule, yay!

3x1.  MT is changing the play.  Interesting.  Last play would have been good time for that.  Guessing he can't check out of runs though, especially with that personnel on the field. 

Offsides on Miller.  Really ticky tack in my opinion. He was .01 early.  

So we are back off schedule again.

Sigh.

Play 4.  2nd and 10 again.

Okay Bears are in their 2x2 tight meaning everyone inside the numbers.

Its a screen to Monty with a fake screen to Cohen opposite.

Whitehair never lets his guy off LINE OF SCRIMMAGE  and he is right where Monty is when he catches the ball  Pretty sure he is supposed to release him after a 2 count and release upfield because that is how screen blocks work.  It was a nice pass block if it wasn't a screen.

I think this was an execution issue.  Not absolutely 100% sure, but I am pretty confident  Whitehair blew this.  Then Whitehair would also have been extra blocker in front of Monty.  

Because Monty is Monty he still gets 6 yards.  This guy on nearly every play is number is called makes something out of nothing.  I feel bad for him.  His teammates and coach do not help him succeed.  

Play 5.  3rd and 4.

Bears are in 3x1 with Burton the one at the bottom.

Redskins are showing cover 2 man under.  They are not in press.

Great time for some crossing routes.

MT changes the play.  Interesting here to see what he is thinking.  I was thinking crossers.  The single WR to the flat would work if it wasn't Burton.   If you could flip Arob to single WR that is an easy first on a two way go or just to the flat.

I can't see the routes because of Broadcast view but they all go deep.  Not a check I would have made with Skins playing off.  Lowers percentage of first down and runs into the cover 2.  

RB is open in flat for easy first down.  If that was thinking I do agree with that, but apparently it isn't because MT never looks that way.  

But ... MT rifles it to Arob for 11 yards.   I love the throw.  But I hate that audible, I hate the decision (should have took the easy throw to Monty) and I hate that he stared Arob down start to finish.  He has to trust his other players.

Again though it was absolutely great throw and lets check the protection ...

Very nice.  Give him a good pocket and this kid can throw the football with excellent accuracy.  That is something many people say he cannot do.  It simply isn't true. 

• Like 1

Play 6.

1st and 10.

2x2 again.  WRs outside the numbers this time.

Hard to tell routes on broadcast again.  I hate broadcast.  Gabriel and Burton I think, go deep on top.  Gabriel I think is running a deep dig on outside.

Slot can't tell who it is, is running a seam.  

Monty runs a wheel and is well covered.  

Robinson is at bottom running a crosser and is wide open (sheesh one time he doesn't look for Arob and he is all by himself).

MT throws to Gabriel.  Looks like a catchable ball to me.  Ball is incomplete.  Announcer is saying its a terrible pass, not really seeing that.  Can't get a great angle on BC view.  I will call a spade a spade and criticize MT when necessary, but from my angle that looked like a decent to good throw in traffic down the field.  It was put in a place to make it safer.   It wasn't an easy catch, but one I think Gabriel should have made.  Announcer then he piles on saying quotes from all defensive players saying they dare MT to throw, etc.   Totally unnecessary.  

Where I WOULD criticize, heavily, is MT never comes back to other side of field.  He looks to one side whole time. He has 2nd and 3rd reads wide open a lot.   Often he doesn't have time, but when he does it is there.  Maybe he is shell shocked.   Heck by doing this defenses are really over shifting to his eyes.  He can use that to look some guys off.

I put this play on Gabriel. 

Play 7. 2nd and 10.

Same formation.

Skins jump free play.  MT sees it, yay!, he takes a shot to Miller between corner and safety.  Misses off Millers one hand, it would have been a very, very good one handed catch, but NFL receivers can make that catch. 

Pretty good coverage.  

Tough throw.    I still view this as a plus, because it was a free play, he saw it, and went to his deep receiver.  It was a pretty good ball. 

This was not an inaccurate bad throw.  It was 8 inches from being perfect.  8 inches.  It hit his one hand.  Safety was coming over top and was an INT threat.  

Thing that pisses me off about this play is top receivers did not go on their routes.  So MT had only the one place to go for the free play as Arob was covered.  One of them may have occupied the safety and kept him from influencing that throw. 

It's the little things.  I would go off in film on them if I am coach.  

Actually on second look. They did their jobs.  They had short routes and wasn't much to do.

Edited by dll2000

Play 8.  2nd and 5.

Bears go empty.

Bears run a screen to Burton.  Very well executed this time.

...lets watch Whitehair since he screwed up last one.

Okay not bad.  Payne read the screen and waited.  Whitehair hit him with a head of steam and didn't move him.  Wasn't great, wasn't awful.  He did right thing.  Would have like to see him exhibit more power on his blow. He didn't gather his hips at all so he had zero power.  Just patty caked him from elbow, kind of lazy.   Could have gained another 6 yards with a good shot.

Its the little things. 

8 yard gain.

• Like 1

Play 9. 

1st and 10.

No huddle.

Bears are 3x1.  Different this time.  2 slots on the LINE OF SCRIMMAGE.   

Burton is the lone WR inside the numbers.  

Nobody is covering the trips slot guy ... wait Collins is running over there now.  MT sees it and is changing play now.  Would have been cool if he quick snapped before Skins changed and fired one off.  

Well he changed to a zone read right to where Collins ran over to.  He pulls and runs right into Collins.  Kind of a wasted down.

Would have been great if that was play without Collins there.  MT would have ran for at least 10.  Not sure why he stayed with it after Collins ran over there.  It was dead on arrival.  

At least he pulled the ball this time.  The DEs are going straight for RB on zone reads and they have no chance if he gives.

Nagy needs to add a pitch to the zone read if he wants it to work.  They are doing an exchange right now and outmanning the play.  The DE takes the RB and the corner or safety, whoever is on inside receiver, takes the QB.

Let that receiver turn into a pitch man with other two WRs running deep.  Then you out leverage them.   If outside guys don't run off it won't work, but at least you have a chance.  Plus you can fake it then and throw to outside guy if they cheat like that.

2 yard gain.

Play 10.  2nd and 8.

The are in trips 3x1 again.  Far hash, but still in their tight look.

Monty and Cohen in game together.  This has rarely worked for Bears this year to my memory.

Cohen is far wideout, he goes in motion across formation then he goes to backfield then motions back on a wheel back to top.

Burton is lone receiver at bottom - I am not liking this and they do it a lot.  Burton is not a mismatch on anyone but a LB and they never put a LB out there.

Can't see the exact routes but top two WRs go deep and Monty is right behind them out of the backfield.  Cohen goes to the flat and is marked by a lb.

MT fires to Monty high and it is incomplete.  Poor Monty.  LOL.  He can't catch a break.  He may be Bears best all around offensive player and can't get any stats.   

This was a not a good throw this time.  First bad throw of game in my estimation.  Bad decisions have been made, but first bad throw.

Skins get called for illegal contact.  I can't see it as it is out of screen.

Auto 1st.

Play 11.  First down.

1st and 10.

Bears put both Cohen and Monty in backfield this time as split backs.  Interesting.  Going to see a new kind of run play I think.

They fake the pitch to Cohen and run Monty behind a pulling Whitehair.  Looks like it was going to be power, but turns into a trap play because Whitehair now has Lucas guy.  

Lucas hits the DE and moves inside.  Whitehair hesitates for some reason then takes Lucas guy, but he does it in slow motion.  Weird.  He gets a piece of Lucas guy but it is weak.

Long has the down block on the NG (Payne) and gives up his angle advantage and slides to his front and then even to his outside?  WTF is he doing?  If he just stands there at a 45 degree angle and doesn't even block the nose is sealed.  Payne slips off him easy.

Freaking Lucas of all people makes a really nice block on LB, but he quits too fast.  Finish!   

Here comes Monty into the hole hard.  Payne, due to Longs awful block gets an arm on Monty to slow him down about 1 -2 yards into the hole.  Monty powers through and drags 3 guys several yards.

8 yard gain.  

Monty is making relatively short runs, but if you aren't watching closely to see you don't know how amazing these runs are.  This is way more impressive than untouched for 60 yards and run down.