GDT 9/29/19 Week 4: Baltimore Ravens (2-1) vs. Cleveland Browns (1-2)

SalvadorsDeli

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This was the first game the screens have been successful.

The Rams game was prolly Baker’s worst as far as sensing phantom pressure and not stepping up.  He was the primary issue with the offense there imo.

I am quite sure I saw a succesfull screen to Chubb on the left side against the Rams. Nevertheless, it felt like everything you tried of trickery and setting up plays (not counting the flea flicker) worked.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danand said:

I am quite sure I saw a succesfull screen to Chubb on the left side against the Rams. Nevertheless, it felt like everything you tried of trickery and setting up plays (not counting the flea flicker) worked.

Oh the flea flicker worked, Ratley just let the damned ball bounce off his hands like a putz...

And there may have been a little contact there, but it doesn’t really matter now.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Oh the flea flicker worked, Ratley just let the damned ball bounce off his hands like a putz...

And there may have been a little contact there, but it doesn’t really matter now.

As soon as I saw that play and saw Jefferson defending 1 on 1 deep, I thought it was a for-sure touchdown.

10 hours ago, Danand said:

The commentators also noticed how far off your cornerbacks played, and with a different offense we could have dinked n' dunked as an approach to get more rythm and convert. In the end I don't feel it was that much of an issue on offense. Seemed like we had found a good rythm and your scheme and most likely purpose to keep the big gains away gave us some room in the running game. The Ingram turnover the Browns turned into a TD, and after we had reduced the game to one score, Chubbs makes that big play.

The rest of the way you guys just found ways to make the deciding plays with two interceptions and kept putting points on the board. I am not surprised how you did it, but a little surprised the Ravens defense was so easy to defeat. Its all fair the Browns have reclaimed the position as favorites in the division. Now we have to see if you guys can keep it rolling and if the Ravens can rebound.

I disagree with this part here to a degree. While I have no qualms with the team running the football to “get back to the basics” so to speak, I think it’s important to keep your QB in a groove with easy completions. It’s like in basketball where a great player that’s struggling will generally look to get fouled on a shot to get to the free throw line for “easy buckets” and once they see shots start to fall, they get the momentum on their side and allows them to sort of recalibrate their shot.

I think it’s difficult to ask a QB to hand the ball off 40 times and then ask him to “turn it on” when needed. You get throws like the Chris Moore throw that should’ve been easily caught, but also had it been thrown a bit more accurately it might be a touchdown (I mean if Moore jumps towards that ball and catches it at its highest point, he still could’ve stayed in bounds but that’s neither here nor there).

We have clear cut evidence that with Lamar as the QB our run game is going to be successful and get in a groove whenever we go to it. The important thing that the offensive strategy has to remember is to mix up some easy bubble screens or hitch routes for Lamar to throw and stay in rhythm as a passer for when we have to target deep. What’s more it pairs well with the run game to set up the PA pass as we can lull the defense to sleep with short incompletions to “dink and dunk” and then the moment we noticed they start playing more aggressive upfront we hit them with a deep strike with Lamar in groove, with our run game creating enough fear inside and our short passing game creating enough respect on the outside. That’s a much more effective strategy and our offensive coaches seem to still get into this “rookie Lamar” groove where they seem to just go all run to show their attitude and dominate an opponent vs keeping things balanced and keeping the defense on their toes.

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I was just impressed with OBJ’s arm.  Kid can sling it.

I was too busy face palming at the two defenders who ran into each other trying to tackle him to notice. I briefly peered up at my screen, saw TJ deep and went "OH GOD PLZ NO" and then thankfully your dude dropped it.

• Like 1

It's obvious from the box score, but it was even more apparent that they must have saw something on film coming into this game because they were CLEARLY trying to attack whoever was on Landry. I guess it started with Averett, but his continued horribleness prompted us to rotate Carr/Canady onto him, which clearly lead to some breakdowns in communication/assignments. I hate to say this, but given a night to sleep on it, I think it really does boil down to just too many injuries leading to a disorganized mess on the defensive side of the ball. This was most readily apparent when before that back breaking run by Chubb, one of the safeties - maybe Clark, literally had to come down to the LOS and forcibly push a DLineman over because he was in the wrong gap. I'm not saying we aren't a bad defense, just that I think a lot of the issues we saw yesterday can be attributed to things beyond raw talent.

Outside of our passrush, that group is currently as talent-less as they come. I  just want to reiterate again, our pass rushers SUUUUUCK.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

There definitely was. There wasn't a fan in the stadium who didn't think pass interference was going to be called. Everyone definitely breathed a sigh of relief when it wasn't. :D

5 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

It's obvious from the box score, but it was even more apparent that they must have saw something on film coming into this game because they were CLEARLY trying to attack whoever was on Landry. I guess it started with Averett, but his continued horribleness prompted us to rotate Carr/Canady onto him, which clearly lead to some breakdowns in communication/assignments. I hate to say this, but given a night to sleep on it, I think it really does boil down to just too many injuries leading to a disorganized mess on the defensive side of the ball. This was most readily apparent when before that back breaking run by Chubb, one of the safeties - maybe Clark, literally had to come down to the LOS and forcibly push a DLineman over because he was in the wrong gap. I'm not saying we aren't a bad defense, just that I think a lot of the issues we saw yesterday can be attributed to things beyond raw talent.

Outside of our passrush, that group is currently as talent-less as they come. I  just want to reiterate again, our pass rushers SUUUUUCK.

This was my very unpopular point throughout last season and this off season. Finally people are turning around acknowledging that neither Bowser or Williams are that good.

5 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I think that's the problem with the Ravens defense. They just don't have very many good players on that side of the ball. They went from having hall of fame guys littered on their roster to all of a sudden having to piece together holes with band-aids and duct tape. They went offense in the last few drafts and that has seemingly worked out for them, but they have no linebackers and only 1 great DB in Humphrey. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Earl Thomas is not a "great" player anymore. He's more of an on-par starter, from what I've seen and heard.

4 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

There definitely was. There wasn't a fan in the stadium who didn't think pass interference was going to be called. Everyone definitely breathed a sigh of relief when it wasn't. :D

All things being equal, I’m glad they didn’t call it.

It hit him square in the hands and he could have made the play.  I only want to see penalties when it significantly impacts the play.  That didn’t imo.

25 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

All things being equal, I’m glad they didn’t call it.

It hit him square in the hands and he could have made the play.  I only want to see penalties when it significantly impacts the play.  That didn’t imo.

Yeah, I'm not sure how it looked on TV, but in person you could clearly see Jefferson climbing his back way before the ball got there. For anyone that watches current WWE at all, it looked like he was trying to pull off Sasha Banks finisher, the backstabber lol.

1 minute ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Yeah, I'm not sure how it looked on TV, but in person you could clearly see Jefferson climbing his back way before the ball got there. For anyone that watches current WWE at all, it looked like he was trying to pull of Sasha Banks finisher, the backstabber lol.

Then they would also have to call DPI on Joe Schobert when he dragged Andrews down on the deep pass which was intercepted by Whitehead. I think both were non calls.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Yeah, I'm not sure how it looked on TV, but in person you could clearly see Jefferson climbing his back way before the ball got there. For anyone that watches current WWE at all, it looked like he was trying to pull off Sasha Banks finisher, the backstabber lol.

It looked about like that I guess, but Ratley had a clean shot at it.

I mean, is was definitely DPI but it wasn’t why he didn’t catch the ball.