GDT 9/29/19 Week 4: Baltimore Ravens (2-1) vs. Cleveland Browns (1-2)

SalvadorsDeli

"Lack of Pass Rush" and "Miscommunication" have become excuses/scapegoats for the real issues at this point. 

Our Elite CB depth bailed us out last year, frequently. That unit propped up our entire defense. And now with Tavon and Jimmy gone, the systemic issues and lapses are being exposed over and over. This is all on Wink. He hasn't adapted this defense to it's players, and overall he doesn't have his side playing sound football. There's no excuse for it.

We've shot ourselves in the foot two weeks in a row now, and Elite players like Mahomes and Chubb have made us pay. Wink has two choices. Fix things, or lose your job. DeCosta isn't to be trifled with. 

2 hours ago, matt27j said:

You know one thing that surprised me was that the te's weren't used much against us.

With how far off we were of brown no or few screens to him.

I think this is a game Ravens should and will just forget. However you see some 2nd half tendencies continuing from kc to this game.

Thomas, Smith, Humphrey n Carr and then an explosive offense with threats at every position. That's a championship roster.

The deciding factor will be if Lamar improves his play on critical downs in the 4th qtrs. Which he will with experience. 

I can't really say i hate teams anymore so i do kind of root for everyone in a way.

After watching so much losing football my focus switched to the journeys of players, teams, and organizational growth and structures rather than the results of wins and losses.

The Ravens and Steelers have been able to rinse and repeat the same type of success year after year.

This game for the Browns was an affirmation that it wasn't all talk or just names on paper. They slipped the leash and just took off.

They won't be looking at doubters for fuel anymore and that's a good thing. 

The commentators also noticed how far off your cornerbacks played, and with a different offense we could have dinked n' dunked as an approach to get more rythm and convert. In the end I don't feel it was that much of an issue on offense. Seemed like we had found a good rythm and your scheme and most likely purpose to keep the big gains away gave us some room in the running game. The Ingram turnover the Browns turned into a TD, and after we had reduced the game to one score, Chubbs makes that big play.

The rest of the way you guys just found ways to make the deciding plays with two interceptions and kept putting points on the board. I am not surprised how you did it, but a little surprised the Ravens defense was so easy to defeat. Its all fair the Browns have reclaimed the position as favorites in the division. Now we have to see if you guys can keep it rolling and if the Ravens can rebound.

To all the Browns fans (who haven't posted in this sub-forum before) that thought it appropriate to come in here an trash talk because of what a couple of Ravens fans have said elsewhere, either stop it and have a respectful discussion or get lost.

Ravensrool doesn't post in here.  If you have beef with him as it seems some of you do, find somewhere else to air it.

We try to have a more respectful and thoughtful discussion here, not descend into the sort of the comments that you're likely to find on the cesspool that is social media.

To the regular posters, don't engage with the trash talk as it just encourages it further, and I don't want to have to read all that crap

• Like 2

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

Im assuming that's not supposed to be English?

Direct translation "Dad is mad/angry, AND disappointed". Bear/bare? with me, I'm constantly switching languages depending on the various boards I am commenting on.

This is what I noticed on the highlights from the game. As Diamondbull mentioned, the mistakes made is easily correctable, filling the right gap, playing your assignment in coverage, making sound tackles, win the turnoverbattle. My concern is, that we are still failing on very simple things, and the combination of a mediocre to bad pass rush and bad play in zone, that is not something we can correct with the players we currently have. Winks strength last year was having great cover corners who could give the pass rush time and win with creative blitzes. This year with two starting corners out and less impact from the pass rush and even worse zone awareness than Mosley, it looks bad.

Just based off the highlights.

First Browns TD, it certainly looks like we are in man, Jefferson has a deep outside shade on the Browns outside tight end. Chuck Clark carries the inside tight end, Jefferson immediately follows the crossing route but get caught in the wash. Easy TD

Long pass to Jarvis Landry – great throw by Mayfield – Onwuasor doesn’t travel well enough when Landry breaks inside and Elliot doesn’t take enough depth

2 and 10, Ravens rush 4, Mayfield scrambles and hit Landry for about 6-7 yards on a crosser breaks inside and Onwuasor and Humphrey tries an armtackle, and Jefferson goes for the superhero shoulder tackle and bounces off. 3 players should have made that tackle

The coverage breakdown where Ricky Seals-Jones, most likely the best tight end in the game, runs a seam, I can’t really guess the coverage here, but I think it is a cover 3, Carr on the right side follows his receiver, Thomas goes deep middle, Humphrey and Jefferson both play the sticks, and both breaks on the outside receiver, this seems like Humphrey playing a wrong assignment and not Jefferson. If this is the case, some of the miscues on deep passes is on Humphrey as I saw the same breakdown in the Cardinals and Chiefs game

The following Chubb TD is just bad tackling. Judon can shut his mouth about a new contract if that is the effort he gives, but none on the defense looks good here.

After the Ingram fumble, Chubb runs right and Chuck Clark actually makes a decent play but can’t find his footing and Chubb makes a great little jump to avoid being tripped, then he just follows his blockers. Judon can’t get of his block here

Mayfield converts a 3 and 5 to ricky seals-jones who big bodies Levine for a catch, nothing to really complain about here

The shuffle pass, Mayfield fakes to Chubb who runs right, Mcphee bites and goes inside and is taken out and can’t contain as he should, it’s a two on two here with Canady outside and Jefferson inside. Imo Canady commits too much to take out the outside pitch option. Jefferson takes a poor poor ankle to the ball carrier and it’s a long gain. DeShon Elliot with the effort to prevent the TD.

On the following Chubb TD we just lose the direct matchups. Seems like Cleveland went heavy and we had a light package on the field

Our offense brings us back in the game, and our defense blows it. Two pullers from left to right. Bowser sees the pulls too late and is out of position to handle the pulls but actually does a decent job recovering. Our interior linemen can’t get to the hole. Jefferson was on his way to handle his outside contain role, but Onwuasor runs himself out of the play and can’t fill his lane. Young can’t find a lane to take out the ball carrier. The effort/lack of speed from Earl Thomas – that is NOT what we paid big money to get. Piss poor effort.

This was essentially the backbreaker, from there Lamar was intercepted twice, once on a hail mary to make something happen. Some say Andrews was dragged down by Schobert – I think its too ticky tack to call. The next was just penetration and a batted

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Danand said:

The effort/lack of speed from Earl Thomas – that is NOT what we paid big money to get. Piss poor effort.

He said he pulled up because he didn't want to blow up his hamstring. Apparently, that's happened before in a similar situation. It definitely looked weird and out of character upon review.

10 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

He said he pulled up because he didn't want to blow up his hamstring. Apparently, that's happened before in a similar situation. It definitely looked weird and out of character upon review.

I read that, and if that is the case, then he is either nursing an injury or doesn't have his heart in it. How should we trust him to use his speed as a single high to make plays, if he can't/doesn't want to in the running game. That play was really the back breaker for us in that game. If he plays scared of injury, then he is not the one we should trust to make a game saving tackle if he makes an assessment, that he could get injured.

5 down

1. We have not translated well on defense from last year to this year. But I don't see us lacking that much talent even with injuries to the degree we collapsed yesterday

2. Even if he played his coverages right, Jefferson really seems like a liability. There are too many missed tackles and bad ankles in his game

3. We have to adjust better in game on offense – the Browns gave us the short passing game, and we didn’t managed to exploit it.

4. We haven’t seen anyone really break out in these two important games that ended in losses – outside Lamar. It’s a trio on both sides of the ball

5. We lost the momentum after two games fast and missed an opportunity to bury the Browns in the division early

5 up

1. We have a QB. Whatever scrutiny Lamar will receive after this game, it is mostly unjustified – he played one heck of a game and was the guy saving several plays

2. We can move the ball through the ground and in the passing game, we just have to get more players active and key in less on Brown and Andrews.

3. We saw Hurst late, after being mostly invisible, both the coaching staff and Lamar has a job to do to use him better/more, because we saw the talent he has to stretch the field

4. I think our special teams look solid and Bethel has been a good addition

5. In the AFC we have Patriots and the Chiefs who are the front runners, but no other team have separated themselves from the rest of the competition and both a division win and a potential wild card seems within reach as neither the Chargers, Bills or an AFC S team has proved to be without flaws.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Danand said:

I read that, and if that is the case, then he is either nursing an injury or doesn't have his heart in it. How should we trust him to use his speed as a single high to make plays, if he can't/doesn't want to in the running game. That play was really the back breaker for us in that game. If he plays scared of injury, then he is not the one we should trust to make a game saving tackle if he makes an assessment, that he could get injured.

Well he ran down some guys against KC with great pursuit. It is weird though. Reports are saying he had a heated exchange with Brandon Williams over not playing, and then Earl himself admits to a self preservation tactic on the field. Just a weird game with weird aftershocks. Everyone needs to stop with all the talking, twitter trolling, excuses, dancing- whatever the F&*k. And just regroup as a team. Wink needs to get his house in order.

Our defense is trash and it has been exposed. Now if Wink really is serious, he'll bench Jefferson or rotate him out at the very least to let us know he's serious about making adjustments. Still not a fan of Roman and his route tree combos and he hates running the football for some reason. Also, Let the Browns fan come in here and talk their talk. It will make for better forum discussion when they're on the outside looking in for the playoffs yet again. Again, it was their Superbowl and they're not used to winning. Let them enjoy first place for a moment! When its all said and done, they will all kneel and show respect to Lamar, King of the North!

8 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Never once said you at all, just speaking in generalities.

I’ve been on this site for nearly 14 years and have never trolled another squad (probably not anyway, lots of beers and lots of years here)

I’m glad you’ve been decent, I appreciate it and so do other Browns fans I’m sure, but some in here (though most of the interactions I’ve had with them are in NFL gen) are first class asshats and I’m happy to piss in their Cheerios when I get the chance.  

To the rest of you, be it yourself or @AFlaccoSeagulls or @ravens_rool28 (despite the fact he’s a trolling ball bag, he’s ok) or whoever, sorry you have to deal the nonsense but since some of these folks have no chill, this is what it is.

Imagine 

• Like 1

So I’ve had my fun and I’ll play nice.  I’ll even try to say some nice things.

1. Lamar is a LOT better than I thought he’d be. He improved a ton since last year and if he can continue to improve and continue to stay healthy, he’s gonna be a handful.

2. Marlon Humphrey is a MONSTER. I’m glad neither he nor OBJ got ejected, I enjoyed watching those two go at it.

3. Mark Andrews is another one I’m jealous of. Dude is really solid.

4. Your ability to draft and develop defensive talent is unreal.  I know it wasn’t their best game, but after losing as much as you did over the offseason I thought the talent you trotted out there was pretty impressive.  Their ability to draft and develop linebackers is second to no one.

Anyway, it was a good game and both team left without any major injuries (that I’m aware of anyway).  Good luck until the next game.

Oh, and @RavensfanRD, I don’t normally do any ridiculous sig or avi bets.  I do admire your stones though.  That said, if the Browns don’t win another game I’ll happily wear whatever avi you want (it won’t matter as I’ll be walking in front of a bus shortly after changing it) but I won’t hold you to your end, not really my style my man.