How many years should Andy Reid get to win a title with Mahomes as his QB?

Apparition

It doesn't look like Mahomes will be regressing to the mean anytime soon. So we're talking about a player who, barring catastrophic injury, represents the theoretical upper limit of performance for an NFL QB for the next decade at least.

We all expect a guy like that to win multiple titles. And if he doesn't, it's the head coach and GM that will get the blame. But how many years without a title should we give them before we start pointing fingers at Reid specifically? Let's face it, he's got a track record in the playoffs that's working against him.

Its funny because against the Ravens Mahomes was getting livid With Reid about time management. 

Late 2nd quarter, Chiefs are driving, 30 seconds left. They get inbounds inside the 20, 16 seconds. No timeout as ol Reid is want to do. Then he callsit at 10 seconds left. Pat is yelling about it. We couldve scored the Ravens were on the ropes.instead Reid settled for a FG.

Mahomes looked really angry, ive never seen him like that. Something to monitor in the future.

It depends. The defense was an easy scapegoat last year. It's difficult for me to blame Reid if the offense is #1 in the regular season and still performing well in the postseason. 

If the offense or time management starts to affect playoff performance then it might be time to question. 

Edited by LeotheLion
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

It depends. The defense was an easy scapegoat last year. It's difficult for me to blame Reid if the offense is #1 in the regular season and still performing well in the postseason. 

If the offense or time management starts to affect playoff performance then it might be time to question. 

Unfortunately team owners don't really do nuance like that. Tony Dungy, a defensive coach, got the axe from Tampa on the heels of 4 straight seasons in which the defense finished in the top-10 because the Glazers decided he couldn't get them over the hump (and they were right).

16 minutes ago, Starless said:

Unfortunately team owners don't really do nuance like that. Tony Dungy, a defensive coach, got the axe from Tampa on the heels of 4 straight seasons in which the defense finished in the top-10 because the Glazers decided he couldn't get them over the hump (and they were right).

Well maybe they should have. I believe Dungy would have gotten them over the hump. It would be one thing if you are underachieving but consistently making the playoffs and getting a first round bye a large percentage of the time should be enough.

A great deal of luck is involved to actually win the Superbowl so I wouldn't want to fire someone that is consistently giving a shot. Reid was 1 play away from the Superbowl last year. If Dee Ford lines up onside, Reid doesn't all of a sudden become a better coach. 

Edited by LeotheLion
  • Like 1

I'm sure Andy Reid was a big reason for identifying Patty Mahomes.  

I mean c'mon guy doesn't get a second chance as a head coach so fast with his resume without input on personnel. It's not like he was living off of food stamps after 13/14 years in philly. 

Jobs his until he decides to retire.