How many years should Andy Reid get to win a title with Mahomes as his QB?

Apparition

Any coach: keep them until you believe they are both holding you back and you have someone you are extremely confident in as a replacement. 

Does that bite you in the butt? Yeah, it does sometimes. But you can waste great teams/elite players’ careers by just holding onto a guy who isn’t the right man for the job, or worse, someone who is just along for the ride.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Any coach: keep them until you believe they are both holding you back and you have someone you are extremely confident in as a replacement. 

Phil Emery did not get this message when he decided to can Lovie for an CFL coach after a 10-6 season and having one of the best defenses of all-time.

I mean I think it's unlikely that Andy lasts all of Mahomes career anyways, he's 62, overweight and has been a head coach since 1999. I imagine him having to retire in the next 5-10 years because of either health concerns or just being burnt out in general.

Anyways - I think it depends on how these Chiefs teams don't win the SB. If these KC teams just flat up don't show up for certain playoff games like some of the early 00's Eagles teams (Particularly 02 & 03) then I could see that being enough to can him.

But I really doubt they can him tbh. It would be very difficult to find someone better.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Does that bite you in the butt? Yeah, it does sometimes. But you can waste great teams/elite players’ careers by just holding onto a guy who isn’t the right man for the job, or worse, someone who is just along for the ride.

For whatever reason Andy's teams don't do well in the playoffs. It's really hard to pinpoint an exact reason. Obviously clock management was atrocious in SB39 and in the 2015 divisional game against the Pats.

I'm noticing a trend with his teams starting out particularly strong and not finishing quite as strong. In 2017 the team started out insanely strong and was pretty bad down the stretch of the season and ultimately ended up losing to a team that had no business being in the playoffs to begin with.

While it's hard to say the 2018 team faded down the stretch of the season, they definitely weren't as good the 2nd half as they were the first half. They started out 9-1, and went 3-3 to end the season finishing 12-4.

They obviously had a very real chance to go to (And win the SB) and you can't discount that. What I will say though is that the Pats were pretty poor on the road last year and last years Pats team (despite winning the SB) was probably the weakest Pats team since the 2013 version.

Anyways the Chiefs do have a very good chance to win the SB if they are able to get HFA. I think if they have to go into NE in January they will have a very tough time.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

For whatever reason Andy's teams don't do well in the playoffs. It's really hard to pinpoint an exact reason. Obviously clock management was atrocious in SB39 and in the 2015 divisional game against the Pats.

I'm noticing a trend with his teams starting out particularly strong and not finishing quite as strong. In 2017 the team started out insanely strong and was pretty bad down the stretch of the season and ultimately ended up losing to a team that had no business being in the playoffs to begin with.

While it's hard to say the 2018 team faded down the stretch of the season, they definitely weren't as good the 2nd half as they were the first half. They started out 9-1, and went 3-3 to end the season finishing 12-4.

They obviously had a very real chance to go to (And win the SB) and you can't discount that. What I will say though is that the Pats were pretty poor on the road last year and last years Pats team (despite winning the SB) was probably the weakest Pats team since the 2013 version.

Anyways the Chiefs do have a very good chance to win the SB if they are able to get HFA. I think if they have to go into NE in January they will have a very tough time.

Agreed with you on the points about Reid.

Any talks of moving on from him are just going to be really hard to justify. Even with his setbacks he’s still a great coach, so are you going to gamble on getting an even better one? If you’re getting this close to the big game with Mahomes entering his prime, it’s definitely possible you get over the hump with so many stabs at it. Giving that up for an unknown is going to take major cajones.

• Like 1

Until the offense stops producing. He deserves as much credit for Pat Mahomes' success as anyone else not named Pat Mahomes. He identified, and I believe pushed for the drafting of, Mahomes, and then has built an amazing offense around him, which combined with Mahomes talents, has translated to all time great offenses. If the offense ever starts falling off, then maybe you start thinking about Reid, because you sure as hell aren't going to be moving on from Mahomes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I would give him until he decides to hang it up, honestly. 

people are awfully cavalier about coaching changes, i feel like. andy reid has his issues but he is also possibly the best offensive mind in the NFL. those don't really grow on trees

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

Well maybe they should have. I believe Dungy would have gotten them over the hump. It would be one thing if you are underachieving but consistently making the playoffs and getting a first round bye a large percentage of the time should be enough.

A great deal of luck is involved to actually win the Superbowl so I wouldn't want to fire someone that is consistently giving a shot. Reid was 1 play away from the Superbowl last year. If Dee Ford lines up onside, Reid doesn't all of a sudden become a better coach. 

Really depends on the owners. Bill Cower got a lot of leeway with the Rooneys, and was even extended after 3 non playoff seasons. Ultimately paid off. Marvin Lewis should have been fired, but was kept around for years. Jim Mora senior probably should have been fired before he stepped down himself in New Orleans. Tony Dungy shouldn't have in my opinion. Dennis Green I still don't know. Mike Shanahan didn't think so. I do agree that coaches should get way more time if they are getting to the playoffs, and at least winning.

Edited by PapaShogun

3 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Really depends on the owners. Bill Cower got a lot of leeway with the Rooneys, and was even extended after 3 non playoff seasons. Ultimately paid off. Marvin Lewis should have been fired, but was kept around for years. Jim Mora senior probably should have been fired before he stepped down himself in New Orleans. Tony Dungy shouldn't have in my opinion. Dennis Green I still don't know. Mike Shanahan didn't think so. I do agree that coaches should get way more time if they are getting to the playoffs, and at least winning.

I mean generally I agree with this.

But the Broncos don't win SB50 with John Fox as their HC.

• Like 1

The chiefs need to hire an analytic guy to hammer Reid everyday during the off-season on game management. Im talking 2 hours a day every day

I mean, that's literally the only negative thing about him as a coach. Guys play hard for him, his teams are always well prepared etc etc 

If he can take that final step, they would win a lot of close games that they have lost in the past. 

They could even hire someone whose sole job it is to tell Andy when to call timeouts and when to run the ball etc etc  

It shouldn't be this hard 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bolts223 said:

I mean generally I agree with this.

But the Broncos don't win SB50 with John Fox as their HC.

Maybe. Don't think Kubiak was necessarily the magic elixir though. You can do this all day. Did Barry Switzer's victory in Super Bowl 30 mean Jimmy Johnson was replaceable? Do the Bills get over the hump if Marv Levy isn't the coach?

Edited by PapaShogun